What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

I’ll start by saying that I like Carlson, but it really seems to me that he’ll stay with the Caps.  And even if he doesn’t I don’t think Shero will get into a bidding war for him, based on his recent comments.

I have to think though that he will be in on Tavares if he makes it to July 1, because why wouldn’t any team that has the cap space not be.  (Only reason would be if there’s a trade for Erik Karlsson or OEL both of which seem unlikely).  

So what’s the most you offer?  I’d offer him McDavid’s contract minus the eighth year.  You can extend Hall at $10 million AAV when his time comes, and probably Nico at $7 million AAV.  (If Nico is getting more than that, there’s a good chance we will be 110 point team).  Extending Vatanen could get dicey, but having Tavares would be worth it.

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you’ll have to give him the 8th year to get him here. And I think he’ll get a little less than McDavid.

I’ll start at $11.5m x 8 years. 

We can’t give him the eighth year.  Only the Isles can.

Another vote here for McDavid's deal (12.5) x 7 years.   Tavares is an incredible talent and the chance to get a player like him without throwing away a season for a top pick or trading multiple prime assets is worth every penny of that IMO.     

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I never remember these rules. 

$12m x 7. I’ll go up to McDavid’s $12.5m if that’s what it takes. 

I would do exactly this.  Offer him 12 for 7.  If he wants the extra 1/2 mil, you bump it up as a gesture of good faith.  12.5/7 is both fair and appropriate if you ask me - it's right on par for what high deals have been going for the last few years.  From his standpoint it basically ensures he gets top dollar for the bulk of his remaining career, and from our side we're getting one of the top forwards in the league for quite a while, and although we might be paying him a bit more than he's worth on the last couple years of that deal, we'd still be free of him before he starts to hit his twilight years. 

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Devils lost out on Shattenkirk......

So if they are in the market for Taveres, they won’t get outbid this time around.

The Devils weren't outbid for Shattenkirk.  In fact, by all accounts they were willing to throw more term and cash at him than any other team, but he went to the Rags because he had his heart set on playing there all along.  You know the story, bright lights, big city, Broadway, World Most Famous ... :puke:

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that.  It makes no sense.  Of all the things that makes Tavares say "I'm out", it's Doug Weight?  If that were the case, you think he would have told the owners, who would not have brought in a guy might very well fire him. 

The trading rights thing is a dead give away also, as they're not worth anything, and the sign and trade thing that Dreger or whoever came up with is a fantasy. 

For all we know this Brady fellow who I never heard of before, got his information from this guy who has come crawling back to twitter (don't read without the special safety glasses)

37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, that's what Greg Brady had to say, but did anyone check with Peter, Bobby, Marcia, Jan, or Cindy?  Carol or Mike?  Alice?  SAM?!

• Like 2

I saw that.  It makes no sense.  Of all the things that makes Tavares say "I'm out", it's Doug Weight?  If that were the case, you think he would have told the owners, who would not have brought in a guy might very well fire him. 
The trading rights thing is a dead give away also, as they're not worth anything, and the sign and trade thing that Dreger or whoever came up with is a fantasy. 
For all we know this Brady fellow who I never heard of before, got his information from this guy who has come crawling back to twitter (don't read without the special safety glasses)

I never heard of him either, but he’s on FAN590 in Toronto apparently.... and I do know that Tavares LOVED Weight. Loved the guy. I don’t know if I believe his firing is a dealbreaker for Tavares, but Tavares has been on record about Weight and how much he loves playing for him.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I never heard of him either, but he’s on FAN590 in Toronto apparently.... and I do know that Tavares LOVED Weight. Loved the guy. I don’t know if I believe his firing is a dealbreaker for Tavares, but Tavares has been on record about Weight and how much he loves playing for him.

If playing for a coach that's fun to play for is important to Tavares then perhaps Hall loving to play for Hynes will be a selling point to Tavares.....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

12 mil x 7 yrs seems to be the concensus here. This number doesn’t seem to block us from re-signing Hall and Hischier in a few years, which is the goal after all. 

That almost guarantees we'll need to give Hall the same price though.

...though that's admittedly stupid logic I guess.  Hall's gonna get paid regardless.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Interesting.  Let's bring on Weight as an assistant coach lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

If playing for a coach that's fun to play for is important to Tavares then perhaps Hall loving to play for Hynes will be a selling point to Tavares.....

Would he want to spite Lou by not picking NJ, given there will be so many other teams too, just because of Lou's history with NJ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Would he want to spite Lou by not picking NJ, given there will be so many other teams too, just because of Lou's history with NJ?

I don’t see how that spites Lou; if you want to spite him, go to the team where he used to work. Unfortunately, that’d mean going to Toronto would be equally as spiteful, and I still feel like he winds up there even though the cap issues say he doesn’t. 

It’d be like trying to spite a guy by NOT fvcking his ex girlfriend. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t see how that spites Lou; if you want to spite him, go to the team where he used to work. Unfortunately, that’d mean going to Toronto would be equally as spiteful, and I still feel like he winds up there even though the cap issues say he doesn’t. 

Oh god, the Leafs fan base would be unbearable if they got Tavares.    

It's going to be tough, it looks like there's a lot of good landing spots for him out there.   Blues, Devils, Sharks, Preds, Knights off the top of my head.   

48 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

You are showing your age

Not like I was ever hiding it, heh.  I'll be 48 come 6/24.  Getting to be a little scary that the only championship that I've ever been to in person (Devils 1995 Cup) was almost half a lifetime ago for me.  

I could date myself in a lot of other ways...like when I bought a ColecoVision as a major upgrade over my Atari VCS...