What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

that being said Toews and Kane is already a bit of a problem and they got a cup not long ago

Yeah, you have a point with Toews but even then, I see the Seabrook contract as the killer.   Kane is worth every penny 

43 minutes ago, Triumph said:

A:  If your pitch to Tavares is 'we won't pay you more than McDavid' expect to not get him.  

B:  If your pitch to Hall after getting Tavares is 'we'll pay you less than him', don't expect him to be happy with that.

Also, Greg Brady is a sports talk radio host in Toronto - is he connected to Tavares, who knows.  I don't give that report a ton of credibility, but he's not some total nobody.

Obviously you can’t expect to get a huge discount from Hall.  But the extra year helps you lower the AAV somewhat.  And maybe it sounds naive, but I think he does feel a lot of gratitude to Shero and the organization for helping him become a Hart trophy winner (hopefully), giving his career a much needed reboot, and that he gets to play in a market where the local press is not making unreasonable demands on him or spreading rumors about his personal life.  It’s not crazy to say if he stayed in Edmonton or got traded somewhere else, he’s looking at a much less lucrative contract.  

So I think that if Shero pulled off  bringing in Tavares, Hall would be reasonably accommodating when negotiating his next contract.

I'd like to point out that it's quite amazing that we're even in a position where the idea of Tavares wanting to sign in NJ is not much of a stretch. A few years ago he would have laughed seeing our number on his caller ID and wouldn't even bother answering.

We should have a good shot. He slots right in as 1C, we have the cap room to pay him a fortune, we’re close to where he was playing geographically so he wouldn’t need to relocate (not sure if he is married or if he has a family, but still)  and we’re on the way up. We have a few really good guys for him to play with, and they’ll all elevate each other’s game. 

I guess some guys like to go into an established team that already has a shot to win (see Golden State Warriors) but I feel like big free agents like a chance to make a team “their own” by pushing them over the line toward being competitive. We can offer him that too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We should have a good shot. He slots right in as 1C, we have the cap room to pay him a fortune, we’re close to where he was playing geographically so he wouldn’t need to relocate (not sure if he is married or if he has a family, but still)  and we’re on the way up. We have a few really good guys for him to play with, and they’ll all elevate each other’s game. 

I guess some guys like to go into an established team that already has a shot to win (see Golden State Warriors) but I feel like big free agents like a chance to make a team “their own” by pushing them over the line toward being competitive. We can offer him that too. 

Yes, the Devils should have a good pitch for all the reasons you've mentioned. I don't know JT's personality (probably boring, reserved, etc.) but I don't know if he would want to stick the knife into the Islanders. True, we're not exactly the bitterest rivals, but we're still in the same division and only 20 miles away.

15 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Tavares is a great player, but he's not worth McDavid money and there is no way in hell I go there with my offer.  He is going to get a contract for 7 years, so term isn't even a consideration here.  Ultimately, I'd like to get him at 10, and might be willing to go to 11.  That is my max, 11 over 7 years, which still makes me cringe thinking about it for a player that has had a knee injuries in the past and isn't a great skater.  Ultimately, I think he's getting more than that with the craziness of FA and how it all works.

Having him would be great and would elevate the Devils to potential Cup contenders, but I don't think it's going to happen.  

When exactly did he have knee injuries?  The 2013-14 season?  I was looking at his stats the other day and in doing so I was actually saying to myself how remarkably healthy the guy has been.  That's something I take into serious consideration when looking at players we could sign, especially at high amounts like this.  Discounting the lockout shortened season, the guy has played in all 82 games 5 out of 8 times, and 78 or more games 7 out of 8 times (the only one being 59 games where I presume he had said knee injury - and even if that was in fact the case, it still only missed 23 games....not a ton by any means).

Numbers-wise, excluding the lockout year and the injury year, he's played in 562 out of 574 games - 97.9%.

Excluding the injury year and including the lockout year, he's played in 610 out of 622, or 98%. 

For his entire career, including the lockout year and the one year he was injured, he's played in 669 out of 704 games, or 95%.  Not sure how you can ask for much more than that.  Injury concerns would be the farthest thing from my mind when it comes to Tavares, at least based on prior history.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

For his entire career, including the lockout year and the one year he was injured, he's played in 669 out of 704 games, or 95%.  Not sure how you can ask for much more than that.  Injury concerns would be the farthest thing from my mind when it comes to Tavares, at least based on prior history.

Agreed. It's hockey, everyone gets hurt if they play long enough. The key is, how they return from injury. JT is fine. 

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

Would your position change if Tavares was currently on our roster and you had to offer him McDavid’s contract to get him to stay?  If so, it means you should do whatever it takes to get him here if it’s in the cards.

No.  My position wouldn't change.  IMO, he's not worth that kind of money, and the back end of that contract could get ugly.  The McDavid contract isn't terrible because (a) he is a generational player that is the top or second best player in the sport right now at 21, and (b) he will be something like 29 or 30 when his contract ends.  EDM bought his prime years at that price.  We would be buying 2-4 of JT's best years, which changes things in my mind and led to my valuation.  But, again, that's just my opinion and how I view it.  I fully expect JT to get a contract with an AAV near or greater than McDavid if he leaves the NYI. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

When exactly did he have knee injuries?  The 2013-14 season?  I was looking at his stats the other day and in doing so I was actually saying to myself how remarkably healthy the guy has been.  That's something I take into serious consideration when looking at players we could sign, especially at high amounts like this.  Discounting the lockout shortened season, the guy has played in all 82 games 5 out of 8 times, and 78 or more games 7 out of 8 times (the only one being 59 games where I presume he had said knee injury - and even if that was in fact the case, it still only missed 23 games....not a ton by any means).

Numbers-wise, excluding the lockout year and the injury year, he's played in 562 out of 574 games - 97.9%.

Excluding the injury year and including the lockout year, he's played in 610 out of 622, or 98%. 

He tore his MCL and meniscus on his left knee at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.  He also tore his MCL on that left knee when he was 16.  He did not have surgery to repair it either time.  He definitely has come back fine, but it gives me pause since he injured the same ligament on the same knee twice in the past.   

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/no-regrets-for-john-tavares-who-does-not-need-knee-surgery-1.7200442

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

He tore his MCL and meniscus on his left knee at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.  He also tore his MCL on that left knee when he was 16.  He did not have surgery to repair it either time.  He definitely has come back fine, but it gives me pause since he injured the same ligament on the same knee twice in the past.   

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/no-regrets-for-john-tavares-who-does-not-need-knee-surgery-1.7200442

Gotcha.  Yeah I mean it's never good when you re-injure the same bone, muscle, etc, but being that it happened so long ago and his current body of work shows him operating at 95% health, I rest easy even if we do offer him 12M :)

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think the geography thing can be a big selling point for us. I'll take any little plus that gives us momentum at this stage. Hell, even Hall winning the Hart a week before July 1 can give us great publicity as a place to do great things and play with elite players.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s on each individual. I’m under no illusions that Tavares will come here. Expect little and be happily surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like I never thought last year's offseason hinged on Shattenkirk coming here, I feel the same about Tavares this season.  If he were ever to sign here...holy sh!t, that would truly be mindblowing for sure, and suddenly the Devils are very much on the cusp of becoming a team that can go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs (assuming other areas are shored up of course), or at the very least, are clearly trying to accelerate becoming a Cup contender.  But I think Ray will make other solid moves if Tavares isn't in the cards (I think he's staying put myself). 

• Like 2

Just like I never thought last year's offseason hinged on Shattenkirk coming here, I feel the same about Tavares this season.  If he were ever to sign here...holy sh!t, that would truly be mindblowing for sure, and suddenly the Devils are very much on the cusp of becoming a team that can go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs (assuming other areas are shored up of course), or at the very least, are clearly trying to accelerate becoming a Cup contender.  But I think Ray will make other solid moves if Tavares isn't in the cards (I think he's staying put myself). 

Agree 100% CR. I mean, if Tavares DID sign here- crank up the bagpipes, because I’ll be dancing a non-stop jig all summer.... but this ain’t my first rodeo. I know how free agency goes. I fully expect him to stay with the Islanders or end up in Toronto or Vegas or with the dipsh!t Rags. I will not entertain Tavares as a legit possibility for us, because if you do, all you’re doing is setting yourself up to be kicked in the balls.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Agree 100% CR. I mean, if Tavares DID sign here- crank up the bagpipes, because I’ll be dancing a non-stop jig all summer.... but this ain’t my first rodeo. I know how free agency goes. I fully expect him to stay with the Islanders or end up in Toronto or Vegas or with the dipsh!t Rags. I will not entertain Tavares as a legit possibility for us, because if you do, all you’re doing is setting yourself up to be kicked in the balls.

The one difference here is if Tavares decides to test the market (big IF), I think Shero will make an extremely compettive and legit offer, and will definitely be heavily in the mix.  Doesn't mean that Shero will win the sweepstakes, but I definitely don't think that Shero will just say "nah" and sit this one out, or kick the tires for the sake of doing so (Sandy Alderson-style)...we knew in Lou's day that he wasn't ever going to be a big player in the upper-tier, highest-priced FA market...I think Shero won't shy away from such a signing.  I think he'll go after JT pretty hard...harder than we've ever seen the Devils go after a big-name FA from another team, anyway. 

• Like 1

The one difference here is if Tavares decides to test the market (big IF), I think Shero will make an extremely compettive and legit offer, and will definitely be heavily in the mix.  Doesn't mean that Shero will win the sweepstakes, but I definitely don't think that Shero will just say "nah" and sit this one out, or kick the tires for the sake of doing so (Sandy Alderson-style)...we knew in Lou's day that he wasn't ever going to be a big player in the upper-tier, highest-priced FA market...I think Shero won't shy away from such a signing.  I think he'll go after JT pretty hard...harder than we've ever seen the Devils go after a big-name FA from another team, anyway. 

Oh I agree, I think Shero will make a legit offer. And I truly believe we’ve became an attractive destination, making the playoffs this year and having guys like Hall and Nico in the fold. I just expect Tavares to stay where he is, and if he doesn’t, I fully expect him to get blinded by the BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH and go to the Rags, or end up in another big market like Toronto. I’ve learned not to put faith in these big free agents. They’re pretty much all the same in the way they think.

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The main difference (to me) is I thought we had a shot at Shattenkirk. I really don't see Tavares happening. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh I agree, I think Shero will make a legit offer. And I truly believe we’ve became an attractive destination, making the playoffs this year and having guys like Hall and Nico in the fold. I just expect Tavares to stay where he is, and if he doesn’t, I fully expect him to get blinded by the BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH and go to the Rags, or end up in another big market like Toronto. I’ve learned not to put faith in these big free agents. They’re pretty much all the same in the way they think.

I don't see him ending up with the Rags.  That is the ultimate heel turn, and he doesn't come off as that type of guy.  Plus, they are in rebuild mode and, arguably, the Isles are in a better position to win sooner than the Rags.  If his choice is between the Rags and Isles, then he should stay on LI, get the extra year and become a lifer there.

I don't see him ending up with the Rags.  That is the ultimate heel turn, and he doesn't come off as that type of guy.  Plus, they are in rebuild mode and, arguably, the Isles are in a better position to win sooner than the Rags.  If his choice is between the Rags and Isles, then he should stay on LI, get the extra year and become a lifer there.

I don’t think you’re off base here, but it wouldn’t shock me. Just wait until they pull out the ‘ol BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH recruiting video, and Turtle from Entourage starts tweeting at him about THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS ARENA BRAH, BROADWAY BRAH, HUSTLE AND BUSTLE BRAH. You know how those dipsh!ts roll.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1