What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd go more one year/$3.5 - 4.5 mil if I was interested (I can't say that I am).  He's missed a total of 48 regular season games the last three seasons, and he managed just 108 points (59 goals, 49 assists) in the 198 regular season games that he did play.  He wasn't much better in the playoffs...8 goals and 6 assists in 29 playoff games.  Of course depending on what he's being asked to do, the Nash that he is now might be a fit somewhere...just leery of bringing in aging and fading stars, even on the cheap.  He's also an "old" almost 34 years old...his NHL career started very early (started as an 18-year-old). 

He's never won a Cup though, right?  I gotta think he's hungry for one, having play this long and not gotten one.  Guys like that, at his age and circumstances, usually still manage to dredge up whatever's left in the tank and give solid efforts - even if it's not so much their skill that does it, but more so the adrenaline and fire in them - think of a 120 pound woman who lifts up a car to save her child trapped underneath lol.  

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Is it true that if the Caps and Carlson don't bang out an 11th hour deal that the Devils are in on Carlson too.

That is just nuts.

I don't wanna get my hopes up though.

This would be a million times better than what Minnesota did a few years with Suter and Parise.

It's funny...it's exciting and scary at the same time.  Sure, it's cool to not only be talking about bigger-name free agents, but to actually have the NJ Devils be a realistic destination for them...not knocking Lou for anything, but that was simply something that we knew wasn't really a possibility for the Devils during his tenure (though obviously the Devils did have some big-name players while he was the GM).

It's scary because you REALLY lock yourself into certain guys...of course there's no certainties with ANYTHING, but man would it suck if Tavares and/or Carlson came here and were suddenly much lesser players than they had been previously, or just never quite performed up to expectation.  Sadly as we know that does happen with free agents...especially since they're technically paid for what they were, as opposed to what they are and will be as they age. 

That being said, I'd be excited as hell if Tavares actually came here, especially considering what such a move would represent.  That's about as big of a "We're really back and damned do we MEAN it!" move as there is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That being said, I'd be excited as hell if Tavares actually came here, especially considering what such a move would represent.  That's about as big of a "We're really back and damned do we MEAN it!" move as there is. 

Yeah, I think that would be huge. I don't necessarily think long term commitments to 2-3 high priced free agents is the best move right now, because we will have 2-3 more to re-sign in a couple years. 

But, grabbing the #1 guy off that list does say "we're not fvcking around". 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny...it's exciting and scary at the same time.  Sure, it's cool to not only be talking about bigger-name free agents, but to actually have the NJ Devils be a realistic destination for them...not knocking Lou for anything, but that was simply something that we knew wasn't really a possibility for the Devils during his tenure (though obviously the Devils did have some big-name players while he was the GM).

It's scary because you REALLY lock yourself into certain guys...of course there's no certainties with ANYTHING, but man would it suck if Tavares and/or Carlson came here and were suddenly much lesser players than they had been previously, or just never quite performed up to expectation.  Sadly as we know that does happen with free agents...especially since they're technically paid for what they were, as opposed to what they are and will be as they age. 

If you sign Tavares to a mega deal, I think the worst plausible case scenario is that he has a career trajectory like Vinny Lecavalier.  He really started to decline at about 31  having what you might call Derek Stepanish numbers and at around age 34 he had 2016 Travis Zajac numbers.  Under that scenario, you're getting 3 really good seasons, 2 meh ones and 2 pretty bad ones for someone making all that coin.

Of course there's the best case scenario that he ages like Joe Thornton.

Edited by Daniel

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I think that would be huge. I don't necessarily think long term commitments to 2-3 high priced free agents is the best move right now, because we will have 2-3 more to re-sign in a couple years. 

But, grabbing the #1 guy off that list does say "we're not fvcking around". 

I hear ya, but as a Met fan, I remember when it was "Well what happens when we have to re-sign Harvey, deGrom, Thor, Matz, and Wheeler?"  One of those guys' careers is already on life support and he's not even with the Mets anymore, and three of them can't stay healthy.  The only guy who looks like he'll be worth a big-money deal is deGrom at this point. 

Of course, the guys that we all think have big money coming to them might very well play more than well enough to get it...more saying that you really just never know. 

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If you sign Tavares to a mega deal, I think the worst plausible case scenario is that he has a career trajectory like Vinny Lecavalier.  He really started to decline at about 31 and started having what you might call Derek Stepanish numbers and at around age 34 he had 2016 Travis Zajac numbers.  Under that scenario, you're getting 3 really good seasons, 2 meh ones and 2 pretty bad ones for someone making all that coin.

Of course there's the best case scenario that he ages like Joe Thornton.

Yeah, as far as "worst plausible case" goes, you have to go in knowing that the last 2-3 years of such a deal could really be, well, not good...but if you get four at or near prime-type seasons, you take it.  At least JT won't be ancient in hockey years by then (though he's another guy who started pretty early). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hear ya, but as a Met fan, I remember when it was "Well what happens when we have to re-sign Harvey, deGrom, Thor, Matz, and Wheeler?"  One of those guys' careers is already on life support and he's not even with the Mets anymore, and three of them can't stay healthy.  The only guy who looks like he'll be worth a big-money deal is deGrom at this point. 

This is a valid point also, although its clear that pitchers, and Mets pitchers in particular, are much more fragile than, well, any athletes on the planet. 

Obviously I hope that we're in a position that Hall and Nico are owed a boatload of money when their deals are up. But you're right, you never know. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Well the dream may be over soon.

Why John!? Why!? Why are so many guys so loyal to dumpster fires but we have been pooped on by so many players (for various reasons). 

I guess in all fairness NJ wasn't doing so hot in some of those years too, but still! 

• Like 1

While I am not losing all hope, I do think landing Tavares was always a pie in the sky sort of thinking.  Hopefully he does still make it to UFA where Ray can at least make a good pitch, but it doesn't look too good now.

I still think we will make a fairly big splash this offseason in regards to either trades or signings or both.

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is why I don’t bother getting my hopes up anymore. You know he’s staying with the Islanders. He isn’t making it to July 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought he was going anywhere. When was the last time a player of his caliber hit the open market? 

I never thought he was going anywhere. When was the last time a player of his caliber hit the open market? 

It never happens. Everyone thought Stamkos would hit the market, and he signed an extension like a week before 7/1. The same thing will likely happen with Tavares as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

With Lou in the fold and that new arena on the horizon, I think that was enough to convince Tavares they're going to turn a corner and it was worth sticking around

If it was still Snow running the show with a murky future at the Barclays disaster then I definitely think he bolts

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, '7' said:

With Lou in the fold and that new arena on the horizon, I think that was enough to convince Tavares they're going to turn a corner and it was worth sticking around

If it was still Snow running the show with a murky future at the Barclays disaster then I definitely think he bolts

The new arena isn't quite yet a done deal.  And even if it's approved tomorrow, the Isles won't be playing in it until the fourth year of his contract at the earliest.  Shuttling back and forth between areans can't be that convenient, especially when one of them is Barclays.  I thought that would be a big reason why he would at least get to July 1. 

Nothing's done yet, and Dreger is known as a guy who will say things that a third party wants him to say.  So we'll see.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Kovalchuk in 2010

Watching TSN radio talking on Tavares and they literally just asked this question and came up with 0. I agree, this was the last time that a major player really jumped ship. 

EDIT: They mentioned Suter and Parise. I guess that was really the last one...and if you count that, Kovalchuk popping off to play in Russia should count too. That is one of the only hockey players I have seen that picked  where they wanted to play based on location and left the team that drafted them. Otherwise they seem to go where they can win or get paid.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Bummer that there seems to be serious progress towards him staying with the Islanders.

Crazy.  Absolutely crazy to me that there are so many guys who become loyal to these sh!t franchises and yet our stars seem to abandon ship the first chance they get.

I digress.  The 8th year is probably a serious bargaining chip for the Islanders.  8 years / 80M sounds a lot better than 7 / 70M, for example.  Of course, teams could match that 80M over less term but then you start talking about stupid cap hits..

Not over yet, but sounds like another boring FA period might be in store.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Crazy.  Absolutely crazy to me that there are so many guys who become loyal to these sh!t franchises and yet our stars seem to abandon ship the first chance they get.

It’s incredibly annoying. I don’t get it either. The Islanders are absolute trash as a franchise, but Tavares seems to like it there, and I guess he doesn’t mind a two hour commute to play on sh!t ice in a basketball only arena. But to each their own I guess. Hopefully Hall will be wrapped up the minute he’s allowed to sign an extension. 

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s incredibly annoying. I don’t get it either. The Islanders are absolute trash as a franchise, but Tavares seems to like it there, and I guess he doesn’t mind a two hour commute to play on sh!t ice in a basketball only arena. But to each their own I guess. Hopefully Hall will be wrapped up the minute he’s allowed to sign an extension. 

Some of these guys do just feel that loyal to the team that drafted them (or perhaps traded for them well before they became established), and some guys aren't really interested in signing for huge dollars somewhere else...maybe they're just that comfortable where they are, even if we see it from a distance and think that they're crazy to not at least test the market first.  Lanny McDonald was actually crushed when the Rockies traded him, to the point where he was actually in tears, despite the fact that he hadn't been there that long (less than two full seasons' worth of games)...he loved Denver and the area, and really wanted to be a part of the solution.  Teammate Rob Ramage basically told him that he was nuts, and that this was the best thing for his career.  Sometimes it's hard to make sense of what these guys are thinking...like the guys who have a chance to get dealt to a contender, but invoke their no-trade clauses, even if they're on a team that looks to be hopeless for at least 2-3 seasons. 

If I'm JT, I think there's more than enough question marks with the Isles and their future that would keep me from signing with them before 7/1.  But in spite of everything, it sure does seem like JT enjoys being an Islander. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If I’m JT, I think there's more than enough question marks with the Isles and their future that would keep me from signing with them before 7/1.  But in spite of everything, it sure does seem like JT enjoys being an Islander. 

I don’t know what he enjoys about it, honestly.... they play in a sh!thole, they’ve won exactly d!ck in 35 years, the organization itself is run like the dumpster fire it is, and he has one playoff series win in 9 years. Sounds like a blast. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know what he enjoys about it, honestly.... they play in a sh!thole, they’ve won exactly d!ck in 35 years, the organization itself is run like the dumpster fire it is, and he has one playoff series win in 9 years. Sounds like a blast. 

Yeah, it seems like the prototypical situation for a star to leave in free agency. 

• Like 1