What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know what he enjoys about it, honestly.... they play in a sh!thole, they’ve won exactly d!ck in 35 years, the organization itself is run like the dumpster fire it is, and he has one playoff series win in 9 years. Sounds like a blast. 

I'm right there with ya...like I said, hard to know what these guys are thinking about sometimes, especially from a fan's perspective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t know what he enjoys about it, honestly.... they play in a sh!thole, they’ve won exactly d!ck in 35 years, the organization itself is run like the dumpster fire it is, and he has one playoff series win in 9 years. Sounds like a blast. 

It's probably just important for him to someday feel like he was the main reason the Isles got to the promised land rather than parachute on to a team that already has some stars in place. I agree the Isles have been a sh!t show the past couple decades, but some players just want to feel like they helped build something, just like OEL signing his extension with that mess of a team in Arizona.

Yeah, it seems like the prototypical situation for a star to leave in free agency. 

Yet here he is, ready to forgo the unrestricted free agency that most players wait their whole careers for, to sign on the dotted line to finish his career in NHL purgatory. If I was his agent, I’d start mainlining vodka into my bloodstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably just important for him to someday feel like he was the main reason the Isles got to the promised land rather than parachute on to a team that already has some stars in place. I agree the Isles have been a sh!t show the past couple decades, but some players just want to feel like they helped build something, just like OEL signing his extension with that mess of a team in Arizona.

That’s the problem with a lot of players. They think they can be the solution to hopelessness. Then 20 years down the road, when they look at their hand, the only ring they have is their wedding band. That will be Tavares if he stays there.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:24 PM, MadDog2020 said:

That’s the problem with a lot of players. They think they can be the solution to hopelessness. Then 20 years down the road, when they look at their hand, the only ring they have is their wedding band. That will be Tavares if he stays there.

This gave me chills. Ray needs to read that sentence to JT in his pitch.

• Like 1

On 2018-06-15 at 3:24 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Except we don't know that and we just assume it with absolutely nothing to back it up and we take it as an ultimate truth and it's not. Many were saying the same thing about Ovechkin. And well... look at what happened.

It's hard to predict who's going to be good in 3 years.. let alone 20 years. The Islanders have some really nice piece to build around, all the sh!t is in the past and they might turn it around just like we are turning it around. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's hard to predict who's going to be good in 3 years.. let alone 20 years. The Islanders have some really nice piece to build around, all the sh!t is in the past and they might turn it around just like we are turning it around. 

Exactly right. Win the draft lottery, make a big trade, sign a big college player, make the playoffs. 

Could happen over there too. 

Except we don't know that and we just assume it with absolutely nothing to back it up and we take it as an ultimate truth and it's not. Many were saying the same thing about Ovechkin. And well... look at what happened.

The Islanders have won one playoff series in 25 years. Let’s not compare them to the Ovechkin-era Caps.

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Islanders have won one playoff series in 25 years. Let’s not compare them to the Ovechkin-era Caps.

What happened in the past is irrelevant. I know you don't do common sense when it comes to rival teams or not being biased but come on lol

To say they won't win anything in the next 20 years is straight up blind speculation as you can't use any data from the past to support what's coming unless there's an established management that just can't do anything good or that it's a rotten place like MTL. New management, good core of young player to build around etc things are looking up for them... i mean it doesnt mean they'll win anything either but to say for sure that they won't is just not true

seriously if they don't have hope to win anything in the next 20 years... by those standards we don't have many chances either

Edited by SterioDesign

What happened in the past is irrelevant. I know you don't do common sense when it comes to rival teams or not being biased but come on lol

To say they won't win anything in the next 20 years is straight up blind speculation as you can't use any data from the past to support what's coming unless there's an established management that just can't do anything good or that it's a rotten place like MTL. New management, good core of young player to build around etc things are looking up for them... i mean it doesnt mean they'll win anything either but to say for sure that they won't is just not true

seriously if they don't have hope to win anything in the next 20 years... by those standards we don't have many chances either

You really live to argue about stupid sh!t, don’t you? You should’ve been a lawyer.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

You really live to argue about stupid sh!t, don’t you?

lol Well at least when you argue its opening a discussion and there's an exchange of thoughts. Saying stupid sh!t and not being able to back it up or say "i don't do realistic or fair or common sense when it comes to this" lol why would anyone want to hear your opinion if you're that biased? 

lol Well at least when you argue its opening a discussion and there's an exchange of thoughts. Saying stupid sh!t and not being able to back it up or say "i don't do realistic or fair or common sense when it comes to this" lol why would anyone want to hear your opinion if you're that biased? 

Hey just a heads up- the new management they have that you speak of is the guy you spent 10 years killing day in and day out on this very board. He’ll surely fvck their sh!t up worse with his 18th century view of the game right? [emoji57]

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Hey just a heads up- the new management they have that you speak of is the guy you spent 10 years killing day in and day out on this very board. He’ll surely fvck their sh!t up worse with his 18th century view of the game right? emoji57.png

Well Lou is likely just a bandaid solution while they replace the old management (that was obviously needed). The dude is 75 years old... how can you build around a person that old? At that age your health can do down to sh!t within a week. Hopefully he'll be fine but you know. And hey... Shero in 3 years did a pretty nice cleanup of the mess Lou slow cooked for years so they could turn it around in 20 years for sure.

I do enjoy the irony that after all these years of Lou using old / over the hill folks as a band-aid solution for his team. He's now the old over the hill being used as a band-aid haha

• Like 1

Well Lou is likely just a bandaid solution while they replace the old management (that was obviously needed). The dude is 75 years old... how can you build around a person that old? At that age your health can do down to sh!t within a week. Hopefully he'll be fine but you know. And hey... Shero in 3 years did a pretty nice cleanup of the mess Lou slow cooked for years so they could turn it around in 20 years for sure.
I do enjoy the irony that after all these years of Lou using old / over the hill folks as a band-aid solution for his team. He's now the old over the hill being used as a band-aid haha

Shero has been fantastic so far, agree 110% there. Couldn’t ask for much more in three years than he’s given us. Lou may be passing the big seat on to his son when he’s done, which we should all be rooting for lol.

T-minus two weeks.  

Get a little more hopeful each day that passes by without an announced contract extension.

If he makes it to 6/22 unsigned things will get very, very interesting.  IMO Lou has to get this extension done before he officially starts talking to other teams.

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

T-minus two weeks.  

Get a little more hopeful each day that passes by without an announced contract extension.

If he makes it to 6/22 unsigned things will get very, very interesting.  IMO Lou has to get this extension done before he officially starts talking to other teams.

When you have time, you use it.....

I wonder if Lou got Trotz to drink the kool-aid and that's what Tavares was holding out for.... 

It’s unreal. The Caps seriously couldn’t agree to pay their coach enough to keep him after finally winning the Cup? Pathetic on their part. Seeing as how the Islanders are the only team without a coach, I wonder where Trotz ends up? [emoji849] Oh and I wonder where Tavares will most definitely sign now? [emoji849]

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Leafs channeling their inner-Rags:

LOL that's so lame. Like a bunch of high school kids begging their favorite act to come put on a show at their school or something. Could be the plot to an 80s teen movie. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

LOL that's so lame. Like a bunch of high school kids begging their favorite act to come put on a show at their school or something. Could be the plot to an 80s teen movie. 

I can't really blame them though.  If they land Tavares because of it, and in 3 years they win a Cup, or multiple Cups (quite likely if you add him to their already stacked roster), no one will be saying "Remember a few years ago when they did that stupid promo? That's the only reason any of this happened".  It's just a fact of life, whether you're trying to attract the biggest goal scorer in free agency to come to your team, or out on a Saturday night trying to court the hot blonde at the bar, you do what you can to look your best and highlight your strong points.  

I can't really blame them though.  If they land Tavares because of it, and in 3 years they win a Cup, or multiple Cups (quite likely if you add him to their already stacked roster), no one will be saying "Remember a few years ago when they did that stupid promo? That's the only reason any of this happened".  It's just a fact of life, whether you're trying to attract the biggest goal scorer in free agency to come to your team, or out on a Saturday night trying to court the hot blonde at the bar, you do what you can to look your best and highlight your strong points.  

Why does there always have to be a ‘devils advocate’ take on everything here? Can’t we all just point and laugh at a team we hate being lame?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He probably has a short list of teams outside of NYI he's willing to talk to. If the Leafs are on the list I doubt he wants some cheesy movie, and if they aren't on the list the movie isn't going to change his mind. Dreger was saying that he's going to meet in LA with 3 to 5 teams to go over presentations so idk, still sounds lame to me. Tell me about how we're going to win not about how players there have feels for Toronto. I don't necessarily blame them for trying, I'm just judging their idea as being lame. 

Also, how do the Leafs plan to keep all these guys? Someone is going to have to go to make cap room right? 

The more I think about, the more I am fine with the Devils either getting Tavares or not.

Positive.......... gives the Devils one of the best, if not the best, 1-2 punches at C in the NHL. And the PP automatically becomes lethal with Tavares and Hall to start.

Negative.............. there will be a lot of pressure on him to produce and will take up a large cap hit for NEVER producing a 90-point season.

Like I said, I would be fine with the Devils landing him or not landing him.

I am actually excited to see what Plan B would be.