What’s your max offer for Tavares

Daniel

18 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The more I think about, the more I am fine with the Devils either getting Tavares or not.

Positive.......... gives the Devils one of the best, if not the best, 1-2 punches at C in the NHL. And the PP automatically becomes lethal with Tavares and Hall to start.

Negative.............. there will be a lot of pressure on him to produce and will take up a large cap hit for NEVER producing a 90-point season.

Like I said, I would be fine with the Devils landing him or not landing him.

I am actually excited to see what Plan B would be.

I really don't think pressure is/should be a major concern here in NJ. It isn't anything like Toronto, where it is rumored he is interested if he doesn't re-sign with NYI, because their media are toxic. I'd be more concerned about the cap hit considering the players NJ will have to re-sign in the next 2-3 years. 

EDIT: Also, just to add, JT seems like a dude that can handle pressure. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

55 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Negative.............. there will be a lot of pressure on him to produce and will take up a large cap hit for NEVER producing a 90-point season.

There's probably equal or lesser pressure being in New Jersey than anywhere else in the league. I am definitely not worried about that whatsoever. 

And if you stick him on a line with Taylor and they are both healthy, I'm not concerned about a 90 point season either. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I ask my fellow Devils fans..............

Are the Devils lying in the weeds and are a serious player for JT or are they already on to something else altogether?

No one knows - Ray is out-Louing Lou with this secrecy so perhaps he'll out-Lou him out of Tavares?  :huh: 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Todd Cordell  

Man, Ray Shero is so good at keeping his cards close to his chest. Devils have been off for months now and I haven't seen one (1) mainstream report linking them to a trade candidate, free agent, whatever.

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I ask my fellow Devils fans..............

Are the Devils lying in the weeds and are a serious player for JT or are they already on to something else altogether?

I don't think NJ is in on JT or Karlsson. We probably don't make the lists and Shero might not want to use the cap space just in case he needs it for Hall or Nico. 

27 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think NJ is in on JT or Karlsson. We probably don't make the lists and Shero might not want to use the cap space just in case he needs it for Hall or Nico. 

The only way the Devils have a cap space problem if they acquire JT or Karlsson is if Nico ends up getting Jack Eichel money, which means he's an 80 point player as a 20-21 year odl.  And even then you could probably make it work, probably even moreso with Karlsson as you would be sending $4 million in annual cap space to Ottawa in Severson.

We're two real impact players away from taking the next step, and we need them sooner rather than later.  It's doubtful that they're coming from the prospect pipeline as situated right now.  Ideally you can get one of those guys for only cap space.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Todd Cordell  

Man, Ray Shero is so good at keeping his cards close to his chest. Devils have been off for months now and I haven't seen one (1) mainstream report linking them to a trade candidate, free agent, whatever.

Also maybe, he doesn't intend to playing with cards (doubtfull but still... We may not doing too much) 

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

The more I think about, the more I am fine with the Devils either getting Tavares or not.

Positive.......... gives the Devils one of the best, if not the best, 1-2 punches at C in the NHL. And the PP automatically becomes lethal with Tavares and Hall to start.

Like I said, I would be fine with the Devils landing him or not landing him.

I am actually excited to see what Plan B would be.

Definitely not the best. That’s still going to be Crosby/Malkin for the foreseeable future. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only way the Devils have a cap space problem if they acquire JT or Karlsson is if Nico ends up getting Jack Eichel money, which means he's an 80 point player as a 20-21 year odl.  And even then you could probably make it work, probably even moreso with Karlsson as you would be sending $4 million in annual cap space to Ottawa in Severson.

We're two real impact players away from taking the next step, and we need them sooner rather than later.  It's doubtful that they're coming from the prospect pipeline as situated right now.  Ideally you can get one of those guys for only cap space.

I forgot to consider the player(s) going the other way. Also AG comes off the books in 2 years as well. I hope Shero has something up his sleeve. I don't think doing nothing is an option.

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He probably has a short list of teams outside of NYI he's willing to talk to. If the Leafs are on the list I doubt he wants some cheesy movie, and if they aren't on the list the movie isn't going to change his mind. Dreger was saying that he's going to meet in LA with 3 to 5 teams to go over presentations so idk, still sounds lame to me. Tell me about how we're going to win not about how players there have feels for Toronto. I don't necessarily blame them for trying, I'm just judging their idea as being lame. 

Also, how do the Leafs plan to keep all these guys? Someone is going to have to go to make cap room right? 

Oh I agree, I'm not saying I would necessarily go to the length of making some type of ad or video clip, but if they want to, I don't see the harm in it.   He might not be swayed by it, but I don't see it hurting either.  

And I think you're right, I'm sure someone would definitely have to go if they wanted to bring him in, but for a player like Tavares, I think just about anyone would be expendable.  

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I'm prepared for just David Perron. Not getting my hopes up...who am I kidding I want JT and EK! Let's do it Ray!

The limitation with JT is I just don't see NJ being on his list of 3-5 teams. The limitation with Karlsson is that rumor has it to get Karlsson you have to take Bobby Ryan's 4yr 7.25M deal to get him and I think that would definitely strain everything.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The limitation with JT is I just don't see NJ being on his list of 3-5 teams. The limitation with Karlsson is that rumor has it to get Karlsson you have to take Bobby Ryan's 4yr 7.25M deal to get him and I think that would definitely strain everything.

Agreed, I do not want to take on Bobby Ryan’s contract. We will need that room before that deal is over. 

Tavares supposedly has a list of five teams he’s going to talk to if he makes it to July 1.  Seems pretty likely it definitely includes San Jose and St. Louis.  Maybe Vegas, Toronto and hopefully us.  Montreal comes up, but I doubt he wants part of that dumpster fire.  Darkhorse team is Colorado.

No on St Louis: 

All 5 teams Tavares will speak with are not yet known. I’m told the Blues and Rangers are not among them.

Have to note the obvious: Just because Tavares is going to speak with 5 teams doesn’t mean he’s ruled out the Islanders. They’re still in mix.

Told Vegas is 1 of the 5 teams Tavares will speak with this week.

4 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

No on St Louis: 

All 5 teams Tavares will speak with are not yet known. I’m told the Blues and Rangers are not among them.

Have to note the obvious: Just because Tavares is going to speak with 5 teams doesn’t mean he’s ruled out the Islanders. They’re still in mix.

Told Vegas is 1 of the 5 teams Tavares will speak with this week.

Shocked not St. Louis. Hopefully we’re one of them.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

for all we know maybe the simple fact that we're in his division took us out. 

Like you know... you always feel bad to dump a girl for someone else.... but you always feel a little worst if it's like... her sister or something

That depends how hot her sister is. 

Sharks - 20 million cap space with 4 roster spots (3F, 1D), have to sign Tomas Hertl + Chris Tierney + 1D + 1F

Leafs - 25 million cap space with 5 roster spots (4F, 1D), have to sign Nylander + 3F + 1D, next year  Matthews, Marner and Kapanen will take a huge chunk (15 mill for 3 of them), Marleau comes off.

Knights - 30 million with 6 roster spots (4F, 2D), have to sign Karlsson to mega contract.

Lightning - 10 million with 3 roster spots with Kucherov RFA next year

Stars - 20 million with 9 roster spots (6F+2D+1G).

Besides TBL, I can see other teams make it work, but its tough call, Yzerman is a savvy GM.