Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Devils select D Ty Smith 17th overall

When can he make it to the big club?

Is he going to be a fast riser?

Anyways.......... it looks like Shero is starting to build a really strong organization from head to toe. 

Let's hope I am right.

So psyched he was still on the board when the Devils were picking - then I got nervous, as we have not drafted D in the first round since Larsson... ! Anyway, very happy with this pick!  

Wanted to post this profile from a month ago - after reading it, it made me hope he'd drop to us:  https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/8g4qmw/2018_nhl_draft_writeups_ty_smith_d_spkane_whl/

I wanted to start this write-up off by saying that I'm biased here. Ty Smith is my guy in the draft...as in...if on the off chance he's still available at #17, I would have to imagine Shero, Castron & crew sprinting up to the podium.....

if he were to fall to #17, what the Devils would be getting is a defenseman (one of the youngest in the draft...only 21 players are younger than Smith in the draft) with elite skating and definite top-pairing two-way potential. Smith has logged some major minutes for Team Canada at international tournaments before, and has the potential to be able to log 22-23 minutes a game at the NHL level. I try to be as unbiased as possible in my evaluations, but I can't speak enough praise about what I've seen from Ty Smith.

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

so can we expect a better Will Butcher out of Ty Smith? is that fair?

That's what I was thinking too SD, or a john moore who can play defense... 

I don't really dive too deep into the prospects every year, but I've read a couple places now that he's got definite top pairing potential.

Exciting stuff.  I don't think we've had one of those since Larsson (excluding Butcher, but we didn't draft him).  Can't believe he fell to 17.

Here's hoping it doesn't take him more than a few years to get to the big club.

• Like 1

From what I am reading rarely do you find a defensmen his size that has the hockey sense/offense matched with speed matched with defense. Ryan Ellis had 1 of the 3 and took time to develop. Ryan Murphy had 2 of the 3 and busted. Ty Smith has all three so I think chances he ends up outside the top 4 are slim. I would liken him to an elite skating butcher with better structural defense at the age of 18. If there is one thing he maybe missing it is one on one game breaking ability.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So what are the chances we see him on the big club this season? 20/80? 50/50? 

0/0. He’s at least two years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

0/0. He’s at least two years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

• Like 1

When’s the soonest Reilly Walsh could be on the team? It sure would be nice to get an infusion of quality d all at once in a couple years. 

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

When’s the soonest Reilly Walsh could be on the team? It sure would be nice to get an infusion of quality d all at once in a couple years. 

When he was drafted last year, Ray said something like "enjoy the next three years (at school)"... so probably 2 more unless something odd happens. 

• Thanks 1

Reilly Walsh and Jeremy Davies will both sign next offseason. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

43 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Reilly Smith and Jeremy Davies will both sign next offseason. 

I think you mean Walsh.

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

Should we still not expect to see him for 2-3 years? 

About that, yeah. Hopefully only two. 

• Like 1

Per Capfriendly Smith is getting a maximum base salary which McLeod and Zacha didn’t quite get.  Not sure if it really means anything.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Should we still not expect to see him for 2-3 years? 

D-men usually take longer to develop and get "NHL ready" - not exactly sure why, it's probably because teams wait for them to get physically bigger and stronger. I don't think he'll get any playing time this season, but I think after next year's camp, if he impresses, we could see him get some playing time along the lines of what Severson got in his first year here. I hope it's sooner rather than later.  We need him.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Per Capfriendly Smith is getting a maximum base salary which McLeod and Zacha didn’t quite get.  Not sure if it really means anything.

It's a little interesting that those other guys didn't, but probably nothing to read into I don't think.