2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

15 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I would give him 7/45 and I wouldn't think twice. By the time that contract is "ugly" the cap will have gone up significantly. I can't explain this more clearly: we are fvcking loaded with cap space and completely devoid of a single "terrible" contract. Clowe's cap hit is gone. Savard's cap hit is gone (bet half of you forgot we were paying him). Greene's contract is off the books the summer of Hall. 

Cap space is not an issue with this team. Cap space will not be an issue for this team for a long time. Overpaying a guy like JVR for 1 extra year and a few extra million dollars does absolutely nothing to this team. That's the benefit of being so fvcking bad for so fvcking long; we're finally young. Young means cheap. We're about to enter that pivotal window of "young, cheap, and talented" and a guy like JVR puts us solidly into "contender" category. 

I pray to every god in heaven that we get JVR. 

You make a fair case, but you could be overpaying JVR for 2-3 years if you give him seven years, as opposed to just one. 

You've got guys who are going to be due significant raises, but I'll give you that the only "sure things" (as far as "sure things" go) to get big money are Hall and Hischier (gotta think Vatanen gets a nice deal to stick around as well), and that wouldn't happen until the Devils would be in Year 3 of whatever deal JVR signs...his deal can't really hurt the Devils in 2018-19 or 2019-20.  And as you point out, one of the more expensive contracts in Greene's comes off right at that time. 

The real hope is that the Devils can keep sprinkling in young and inexpensive talent...young does mean cheap, but that some of that youth has to develop and become good.  There really aren't too many guys signed long-term at the moment...if the farm can't feed the big team, that means more and more UFA signings to fill holes (which will obviously drive up the payroll). 

If the Devils sign JVR for 5-6 years, based on everything that we know about the Devils' payroll, I can live with that.  Seven years will be a little tougher to swallow, but the guy figures to put in 25-30 goals (maybe more in seasons where he's getting the breaks) for the next few seasons and fills a need. 

JVR just doesn't strike me as the type of guy I'd want to overpay for, I think Ray would feel the same way. On a reasonable contract he'd be a nice addition, but there's a reason Toronto is letting him walk - they have young forwards who are due sizable raises over the next few years, a situation that we'll (hopefully) be in ourselves eventually.

Man, I'll be very curious to see what/who Brian Gibbons ends up with. If you asked me in December if Gibbons was going to be a Devil in 18-19, I'd say 'yes'. The way he ended the year, I don't know. The fact that we haven't heard any rumors might be telling.

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
FollowingFollowing @TheFourthPeriod
MoCapitals officially announced they’ve re-signed Kempny to a 4-year, $10M deal

Damnnnn. I wanted Kempny if de Haan doesn't work out. For a guy who was about to get go to Europe after the season, getting a cup and a 10 million dollar contract isn't the worst way to spend 3 months.

I'm really hoping they let Gibbons go, or if they do keep him he's firmly as a 13th or 14th forward. He was one of our worst possession players last year, the only forward we had with definitively worse results was Jimmy Hayes, and Gibbons was about on par with Drew Stafford. I'd rather make a budget signing or two on some guys that can bring a little more than Gibbons does.

Edited by CommonDreads

Just now, CommonDreads said:

I'm really hoping they let Gibbons go, or if they do keep him he's firmly as a 13th or 14th forward. He was probably our worst possession player last year, the only forward we had with definitely worse results was Jimmy Hayes, and Gibbons was about on par with Drew Stafford. I'd rather make a budget signing or two on some guys that can bring a little more than Gibbons does.

IIRC, his possession numbers really took a nosedive when he came back from his injury. It seemed like he was never able to get back up to speed upon returning. A lot of Gibbons' value came from the PK. If Gibbons doesn't return, I think they'll run some combo of Zajac, Coleman, Zacha, Hischier, and Bratt on the PK. However, do you want a 21,20, and 19 year old on that unit?

Just now, Derlique said:

IIRC, his possession numbers really took a nosedive when he came back from his injury. It seemed like he was never able to get back up to speed upon returning. A lot of Gibbons' value came from the PK. If Gibbons doesn't return, I think they'll run some combo of Zajac, Coleman, Zacha, Hischier, and Bratt on the PK. However, do you want a 21,20, and 19 year old on that unit?

I have no issue with Zacha, Hischier, and Bratt all playing PK time for us, if they're good enough for it then age doesn't mean anything to me in that regard. Zacha was actually one of our best penalty killers last season when he was given time in terms of expected goals against, I've been wanting Zacha to get more PK time for awhile now, and Nico and Bratt are obviously capable as well.

I love my team very much but if you're looking at what Toronto has and saying "we have that too!" you're being very silly. They were pure trash for a long time and they were fortunate to be pure trash in the draft of a possible generational goalscorer. I love Nico but he is not Auston Matthews. I love Zacha but he's not even in the same sentence as Mitch Marner. I love Bratt but he's no Nylander. None of our guys will command anything remotely close to what those 3 monsters are about to get. 

Taylor Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I have no issue with Zacha, Hischier, and Bratt all playing PK time for us, if they're good enough for it then age doesn't mean anything to me in that regard. Zacha was actually one of our best penalty killers last season when he was given time in terms of expected goals against, I've been wanting Zacha to get more PK time for awhile now, and Nico and Bratt are obviously capable as well.

Was this adjusted for the fact that Zacha was almost never part of the 1st PK unit?   That makes a large difference.

Just now, Triumph said:

Was this adjusted for the fact that Zacha was almost never part of the 1st PK unit?   That makes a large difference.

It was not, and that's a good point. Zacha was always known as a good defensive player in junior as well though so I think he could handle that responsibility. I'd like to see them give him time on the 2nd unit though and let him grow from there.

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

JVR just doesn't strike me as the type of guy I'd want to overpay for, I think Ray would feel the same way. On a reasonable contract he'd be a nice addition, but there's a reason Toronto is letting him walk - they have young forwards who are due sizable raises over the next few years, a situation that we'll (hopefully) be in ourselves eventually.

Because there is a chance Toronto can get JT.

Edited by fsu1852

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I love my team very much but if you're looking at what Toronto has and saying "we have that too!" you're being very silly. They were pure trash for a long time and they were fortunate to be pure trash in the draft of a possible generational goalscorer. I love Nico but he is not Auston Matthews. I love Zacha but he's not even in the same sentence as Mitch Marner. I love Bratt but he's no Nylander. None of our guys will command anything remotely close to what those 3 monsters are about to get. 

I'm not trying to say our talent is on that level, I'm saying we could be in a similar situation in 3 years when Hall, Nico, Palmieri, Vatanen, Butcher, Bratt will need significant raises. We need to allocate cap space to more important team needs such as D. Having a mentality that we have a load of space so "fvck it" is not the way we should go, that's all I'm saying. If JVR would accept a 5 x 6 i guess i'd take him, but someone will overpay with a 7x7 deal and I personally hope it's not us.

54 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

Because there is a chance Toronto can get JT.

If they get Tavares they probably won't be able to keep both nylander and marner long term, at least if they want a competent D group. I also doubt JT goes there but that's just my guess.

7 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

If they get Tavares they probably won't be able to keep both nylander and marner long term, at least if they want a competent D group. I also doubt JT goes there but that's just my guess.

Whenever I have seen hypotheticals of Tavares going to Toronto it is always a short term(1-2 year) deal for that reason. That is why I can't see it happening. From a player's standpoint, short term deals are bad moves at this stage in a career. I can't see him going to Toronto short term to win. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Whenever I have seen hypotheticals of Tavares going to Toronto it is always a short term(1-2 year) deal for that reason. That is why I can't see it happening. From a player's standpoint, short term deals are bad moves at this stage in a career. I can't see him going to Toronto short term to win. 

Yeah he is getting 7x10 minimum, even TOR fans know this because you can go peek at HF and see posts like "the salary cap is unfair" :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah he is getting 7x10 minimum, even TOR fans know this because you can go peek at HF and see posts like "the salary cap is unfair" [emoji1]

HF.... I never realized how stupid hockey fans were until I started reading that forum. Some of the posters over there should be forced to pass a hockey IQ test in order to continue watching the sport- that’s the kind of stupidity you’re dealing with over there. You also can’t insult anyone for their stupidity or you’re banned and your posts all get deleted because the it’s so heavily moderated, it’s absurd. That’s why I never signed up to post. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

HF.... I never realized how stupid hockey fans were until I started reading that forum. Some of the posters over there should be forced to pass a hockey IQ test in order to continue watching the sport- that’s the kind of stupidity you’re dealing with over there. You also can’t insult anyone for their stupidity or you’re banned and your posts all get deleted because the it’s so heavily moderated, it’s absurd. That’s why I never signed up to post. It sucks.

Yeah, definitely not on the level with the geniuses that populate our board. :)