2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Honestly the Moore deal is not that bad if the Bruins maintain D depth over the term of the contract. If they do, they have a pretty decently priced third-to-sometimes second pairing d-man entering the prime of his career. They have that piece filled for the long-term. 

It's horrendous.  John Moore is not entering the prime of his career - he's almost certainly peaked already.  Moore barely belongs in the league - why would you want such a player signed to a 5 year deal that ends when he is 32?  

Shero has avoided a lot of grenades so far - Johnson, Moore, some others.  The one left out there that I'm worried about is Luca Sbisa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Why no on Neal? He's a shoo-in for 30-40 goals.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

He's one of the few guys that I honestly despise as a player.

Whiny, plays dirty, dives, etc. 

Generally thinking, I think he's a piece of sh!t

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll be honest, I'm pissed that we haven't done anything significant today.

However, I will be happy if we get through today without signing James Neal.

Does he have connections to Shero? I think he traded for Neal, didn't he? Please, please don't bring in James Neal.

9 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Why no on Neal? He's a shoo-in for 30-40 goals.

Seriously, what did he do, sleep with your sister or something? 

I’d sign him. 

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not much you can do about franchise players leaving.

Especially when they want to go  "home"!  (Remember ZP's sick 13-year deal?  How do you match that?)

Edited by aclc79

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's horrendous.  John Moore is not entering the prime of his career - he's almost certainly peaked already.  Moore barely belongs in the league - why would you want such a player signed to a 5 year deal that ends when he is 32?  

Shero has avoided a lot of grenades so far - Johnson, Moore, some others.  The one left out there that I'm worried about is Luca Sbisa.

According to you he barely belongs in the league. Seems to me he's fine as a third pairing D and can provide some offense. 

The deal goes from age 27-32. For a defenseman at AAV 2.75, that seems not too bad. Okay, maybe they could have chopped off a year or $250K, but it's free agency, that's the way it goes.

8 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Especially when they want to go  "home"!  (Remember ZP's sick 13-year deal?  How do you match that?)

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not much you can do about franchise players leaving.

The Isladers could have done more of the last couple years leading up to the time when JT was a free agent. The decision was hard for him and the team is an absolutely sh!t show. JT would have stayed had they done more to solidify the franchise.

Also, that wasn't my original point. He said SCs aren't won on July 1st, but my question was can they be lost. When this happens, the answer is yes.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

wonder if we could trade zacha to the islanders for a 1st. that would make me happy on this boring day. 
He's a guy that im perfectly fine waiting for until his value is shot. Look at the Hanifin and Hamilton trade. Both of those players are still young.

Just now, Neb00rs said:

According to you he barely belongs in the league. Seems to me he's fine as a third pairing D and can provide some offense. 

The deal goes from age 27-32. For a defenseman at AAV 2.75, that seems not too bad. Okay, maybe they could have chopped off a year or $250K, but it's free agency, that's the way it goes.

Damon Severson has been dragging him around for the better part of his 3 seasons with the Devils.  Away from Severson he's been routinely outshot and outchanced.  Now the Devils are a bad team but that's expected, but he's been real bad without him.  Another troubling issue is that Moore really didn't score goals until he got to the Devils, so that's not something I would necessarily count on continuing.

Moreover, the 3rd pairing is where young players can learn how to play in the NHL.  By locking up a 3rd pairing D to a long deal, you either have to promote Moore to 2nd pairing, or use that rookie on the 2nd pairing when he breaks in.  The coach is going to be inclined to play Moore every night for at least the first 3 years of that deal.

It doesn't cost much on the cap.  That's not the problem I have with the deal from a Bruins' fan perspective.  It's that there is no need to lock yourself into 5 years with a guy who your management should know is not very good.  You can find replacement-level D all over.  The Devils are hopefully going to try it with Yakovlev this season.  Now maybe Yakovlev goes back to Russia without ever playing for the Devils, but I'd rather take a chance on a guy like that every year than just signing a not-good player to a long contract.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Damon Severson has been dragging him around for the better part of his 3 seasons with the Devils.  Away from Severson he's been routinely outshot and outchanced.  Now the Devils are a bad team but that's expected, but he's been real bad without him.  Another troubling issue is that Moore really didn't score goals until he got to the Devils, so that's not something I would necessarily count on continuing.

Moreover, the 3rd pairing is where young players can learn how to play in the NHL.  By locking up a 3rd pairing D to a long deal, you either have to promote Moore to 2nd pairing, or use that rookie on the 2nd pairing when he breaks in.  The coach is going to be inclined to play Moore every night for at least the first 3 years of that deal.

It doesn't cost much on the cap.  That's not the problem I have with the deal from a Bruins' fan perspective.  It's that there is no need to lock yourself into 5 years with a guy who your management should know is not very good.  You can find replacement-level D all over.  The Devils are hopefully going to try it with Yakovlev this season.  Now maybe Yakovlev goes back to Russia without ever playing for the Devils, but I'd rather take a chance on a guy like that every year than just signing a not-good player to a long contract.

I get that Moore might have been lifted up by his D partners over the years. That's the deal with third pairing D. The Bruins are a better team than the Devils so hopefully for them, Moore will be counted on for much less, as I said, it being a "not so bad" deal relies on them maintaining D depth over the term of the contract. I didn't exactly over state how good the deal is.

Like you say, the cap hit ain't that bad, the only thing is term. Well, as we know Moore was a highly covered FA. 11+ interviews. The fifth year isn't ideal but not disastrous given the cap hit. 

Your point on the third pairing being a good spot to train young D is a good one. I don't think it makes the deal horrendous, but it's something to think about for sure. 

Edited by Neb00rs