2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Tri's been dead-on in this thread, he really has...I think some feel that "battle to get into the playoffs" one season almost means "must do every last thing to become instant SC contenders" the next.  I'd love for that to happen (wouldn't we all), but at the same time, like Tri's alluded to, there's a bunch of kids in the system, and their value hasn't really been established yet (either as trade chips or as future contributors to the Devils).  And I think the big club definitely has room for improvement, just with the players currently on the team (Hischier, MoJo, Bratt, etc)...it would be nice if Cory and KK have a much more consistent 2018-19 between the two of them.

I think I'm a little confused as to what the expectations were for yesterday.  We've known for quite a while that JT wasn't interested in the Devils.  I can't say I would've been disappointed if JVR or ROR had come here, but I'm not disappointed that they're NOT...and like you said, Shero didn't make any landmine moves for the sake of doing something.  And I'm still not sure why some insist on making 7/1 some kind of absolute deadline for "getting better". 

To be clear, I have zero problem with Ray not overpaying for anyone who was available yesterday that wasn't named John Tavares.  My point is that there better be something in the works to land more impact players, because that's what this team needs.  With the exception of Smith and maybe Joey Anderson, the prospects we have do not fit that bill, not to mention that Smith is probably at least four years away from actually being an impact player at the NHL level.  And given that we're a middle of the pack team, it's a pretty good bet that we're not going to get immediate help in the upcoming drafts.

ROR, a 27 year old "borderline first line center", by definition fits the bill of impact player.  He was pretty  much stolen by St. Louis (a top ten protected first round pick and a B prospect plus spare parts) because St. Louis ownership was willing to pony up the cash for his signing bonus. 

Hopefully Ray has something cooking.  All I know is, we shouldn't be in trust the process mode anymore.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If we're talking about just July 1 and 2, they're arbitrary dates.  Florida finished with a lot of momentum last year and added Hoffman (a 25-30 goal scorer) for virtually nothing two weeks ago.  Carolina added Hamilton and Svechnikov last week, and we'll see if they outweigh the players they gave up. 

Otherwise I fail to see what being better right now than the Rangers and Islanders proves exactly.

I forgot about Hamilton.  Svechnikov will probably be as good as Derek Ryan was last season.  Carolina added Mrazek and dropped Ward which is probably a lateral move.

McLeod, Anderson, and Speers should all be fighting for a roster spot this year too. Maroon would be nice but I’m happy he didn’t go after any UFA forwards. No reason to overpay just because. There weren’t that many options for UFA defenders either. We’ll see what happens with De Hann.

I’m still somewhat expecting another Vatanen type of trade to happen. 

Edited by Jerzey

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

To be clear, I have zero problem with Ray not overpaying for anyone who was available yesterday that wasn't named John Tavares.  My point is that there better be something in the works to land more impact players, because that's what this team needs.  With the exception of Smith and maybe Joey Anderson, the prospects we have do not fit that bill, not to mention that Smith is probably at least four years away from actually being an impact player at the NHL level.  And given that we're a middle of the pack team, it's a pretty good bet that we're not going to get immediate help in the upcoming drafts.

ROR, a 27 year old "borderline first line center", by definition fits the bill of impact player.  He was pretty  much stolen by St. Louis (a top ten protected first round pick and a B prospect plus spare parts) because St. Louis ownership was willing to pony up the cash for his signing bonus. 

Hopefully Ray has something cooking.  All I know is, we shouldn't be in trust the process mode anymore.

All well and good, but you seem be to plenty pissed about yesterday, and in full Randy Quaid mode.  I think Tri's accurate in that the kind of offseason that you want for THIS year might very well happen NEXT year, and for very valid reasons.  I don't agree about "missing the playoffs, so be it" though...I think after the fun and promise of last season, and with the talent currently on the team, not at least being in the hunt for a spot until the very end would be disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Its going to take 3 years to fix this D organically .. dam, finding a franchise QB seems easier.. frustrating

Hopefully Smith and Walsh are NHL ready before 3 years. I’ve not given up on Santini yet either.

Edited by Jerzey

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't really agree with the sentiment that St. Louis stole O'Reilly, that was a pretty fair bit to give up. Our equivalent offer would probably be something along the lines of a 1st, 2nd, Joey Anderson, Blake Coleman, and Stefan Noesen, which is something I'd consider but I don't think would be an outright steal.

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't really agree with the sentiment that St. Louis stole O'Reilly, that was a pretty fair bit to give up. Our equivalent offer would probably be something along the lines of a 1st, 2nd, Joey Anderson, Blake Coleman, and Stefan Noesen, which is something I'd consider but I don't think would be an outright steal.

I think you bounce the 2nd from this version of the deal because Coleman and Noesen are younger.  But I agree that there's no way McLeod is equivalent to Thompson.

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

I disagree.  In addition to the protected first rounder, the prospect we would have given up would have been someone like McLeod or maybe Boqvist depending on who Buffalo liked better.  The roster player going the other way could have been Zajac if Ray could have talked him into waiving his NTC.  He actually would have made a ton of sense for Buffalo since they need a center who can take on tough defensive assignments so Eichel and Mittlestadt don't have to.  It wouldn't have been a loss to us, since ROR is a significant upgrade over Zajac. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

He can believe in our young prospects all he wants.  Their production suggests that the only ones who could be real good players are Anderson and Smith, and maybe Davies and Walsh.  That's not terrible, but what it means is that he should try selling high on as many as them as possible so that we can land one or two real good players in a trade.

Let's win the regular season. Not the off-season. Shero is smart, he's got this.

11 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Let's win the regular season. Not the off-season. Shero is smart, he's got this.

Exactly. I have faith we are not going into this year with last year's lineup minus the guys who left. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I know he dropped off the face of the earth in the second half but is the consensus letting Gibbons walk?

I'm not sure I care. I have the feeling the 1st half was the anomaly, not the second. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

This is so goddamn funny that I'm almost surprised that it didn't come from KITB.  Well done. 

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is so goddamn funny that I'm almost surprised that it didn't come from KITB.  Well done. 

I follow basketball so sparingly that the first thing that popped into my mind was LeBrun and not LeBron.

The Torts salt is hilarious. Why are other people not allowed to question your decisions? Are you above reproach? Get over yourself. People are entitled to their opinions and yea, Pittsburgh has a winning culture. However, I think Johnson meant to say winning pedigree or something to that effect. Check their cups, Br0. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The Torts salt is hilarious. Why are other people not allowed to question your decisions? Are you above reproach? Get over yourself. People are entitled to their opinions and yea, Pittsburgh has a winning culture. However, I think Johnson meant to say winning pedigree or something to that effect. Check their cups, Br0. 

I'm okay with Johnson defending his own play and criticizing (though it's probably better to just shut up), but I thought Rutherford's comments were out of place.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

Most July 1 deals wind up looking awful 2 years later, with maybe some exceptions of truly top level talent like JT.  This was a weak UFA class.  Sure, if there was a 27 year old pure RW (or Center) out there of interest, I'm sure we would have been all over it.  I'm not a blind faith in the GM kinda guy, but Shero has built this team the right way so far.  Let's wait and see if there aren't some good value-adds in the coming days and weeks.  If this team can grab Maroon & DeHaan at good prices, we'll be a beater team than last year.  There will inevitably be teams that need to dump salary, and Shero can use our space to pry some good players.  One way or the other, the Devils are not a Cup calibre team at the moment.  We're in the process of building toward that, but it will still be 2-3 more years before we might be a legit threat. 

Most July 1 deals wind up looking awful 2 years later, with maybe some exceptions of truly top level talent like JT.  This was a weak UFA class.  Sure, if there was a 27 year old pure RW (or Center) out there of interest, I'm sure we would have been all over it.  I'm not a blind faith in the GM kinda guy, but Shero has built this team the right way so far.  Let's wait and see if there aren't some good value-adds in the coming days and weeks.  If this team can grab Maroon & DeHaan at good prices, we'll be a beater team than last year.  There will inevitably be teams that need to dump salary, and Shero can use our space to pry some good players.  One way or the other, the Devils are not a Cup calibre team at the moment.  We're in the process of building toward that, but it will still be 2-3 more years before we might be a legit threat. 

That went right over your head, didn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk