2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I disagree.  In addition to the protected first rounder, the prospect we would have given up would have been someone like McLeod or maybe Boqvist depending on who Buffalo liked better.  The roster player going the other way could have been Zajac if Ray could have talked him into waiving his NTC.  He actually would have made a ton of sense for Buffalo since they need a center who can take on tough defensive assignments so Eichel and Mittlestadt don't have to.  It wouldn't have been a loss to us, since ROR is a significant upgrade over Zajac. 

I think it's being overlooked that supposedly Buffalo was not interested in trading him within the conference. It was rumored that they asked for 3 firsts from Montreal

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That went right over your head, didn’t it?

I dunno, I think LeBron could confound and rebound and dish and swish with the best of 'em as a Devil...go get 'im Ray! 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Sorry if someone already posted this but I thought it was classy & was happy the official Devils twitter sent this out in response to the Bruins announcement that they signed Moore: 

@NJDevils

New Jersey Devils Retweeted Boston Bruins

The #NJDevils thank John Moore for his contributions on and off the ice for the past three years. We wish the best to John, Elizabeth and Milly, moving forward.

• Like 4

Jacob MacDonald (Binghampton) has signed with the Florida organization - it's a bummer - he had a great season last year in the Bing :  https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-paul-thompson-and-defenseman-jacob-macdonald/c-299371888

ETA: since I'm posting about ex-Devil minor leaguers: 

Devils Insiders Retweeted

Andrew Gross‏Verified account @AGrossNewsdayMore

#Isles have also signed F Matt Lorito, 27, to a two-year deal with a cap hit of $675,000. He's played 2 NHL games for Red Wings. Last season with Grand Rapids (AHL) 23 goals, 26 assists in 59 games. Has also played in Devils' system.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone actually let's this guy back on an NHL team I hope that team's fan base causes a sh!t fit online to the point where they have to get rid of him because it's a PR disaster. This guy is a complete scum bag and doesn't deserve the privilege of putting on any NHL jersey.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If someone actually let's this guy back on an NHL team I hope that team's fan base causes a sh!t fit online to the point where they have to get rid of him because it's a PR disaster. This guy is a complete scum bag and doesn't deserve the privilege of putting on any NHL jersey.

I haven't seen the details of the expungement and I'm no expert, but I have to imagine the judge saw that husband and wife are still together and that not expunging the record would bring heavy financial injury to the wife as well as the husband. Additionally, the wife is speaking in defense of the husband.

So now the question is, as you imply, does a team bite? 

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I haven't seen the details of the expungement and I'm no expert, but I have to imagine the judge saw that husband and wife are still together and that not expunging the record would bring heavy financial injury to the wife as well as the husband. Additionally, the wife is speaking in defense of the husband.

I think he needed the expungement so he could be admitted into Canada.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Jacob MacDonald (Binghampton) has signed with the Florida organization - it's a bummer - he had a great season last year in the Bing :  https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-paul-thompson-and-defenseman-jacob-macdonald/c-299371888

ETA: since I'm posting about ex-Devil minor leaguers: 

Devils Insiders Retweeted

Andrew Gross‏Verified account @AGrossNewsdayMore

#Isles have also signed F Matt Lorito, 27, to a two-year deal with a cap hit of $675,000. He's played 2 NHL games for Red Wings. Last season with Grand Rapids (AHL) 23 goals, 26 assists in 59 games. Has also played in Devils' system.

MacDonald is 25 years old...kind of reminds me of when Suglobov scored 38 goals in 71 AHL games in 2005-06 (including the playoffs) as a 24-year-old...probably not a star in the making here, or a guy we'll be lamenting that "got away".  Doesn't seem like Shero was all that impressed either. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think he needed the expungement so he could be admitted into Canada.

Right, if the record wasn't expunged, he couldn't play in the NHL, and thus, would incur financial injury. I suppose there's an argument that he could play in Russia, but I'm not sure the judge would go that deep.

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I'd definitely cause as much of a sh!t storm as possible online if he got signed to the Devils. I'm sure someone will give him a shot though, it really all depends on the fan base and how much they either know or care about this situation.

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look and I hope nobody signs him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd definitely cause as much of a sh!t storm as possible online if he got signed to the Devils. I'm sure someone will give him a shot though, it really all depends on the fan base and how much they either know or care about this situation.

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look and I hope nobody signs him. 

He's too good to have no one want him. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy just back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look. 

Funny enough, we could use him. Luckily, I think Ray is putting together a group of men with tremendous character (whether there is utility to that or not). As Lou would say, "You have to cultivate the culture above the individual." Voynov's presence might be toxic to the team culture. But that's pretty loose conjecture on my part as to how things would play out. 

The Flyers might sign him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He's too good to have no one want him. 

Sadly I agree, really depends on how the customers react. I also don't think that the average fan even knows what he did. 

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Funny enough, we could use him. Luckily, I think Ray is putting together a group of men with tremendous character (whether there is utility to that or not). As Lou would say, "You have to cultivate the culture above the individual." Voynov's presence might be toxic to the team culture. But that's pretty loose conjecture on my part as to how things would play out. 

The Flyers might sign him.

The Devils also having some ownership in the women's team would make this an even poorer look so I really don't see him coming here. Plus like you said Ray wants good characters in the room. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sadly I agree, really depends on how the customers react. I also don't think that the average fan even knows what he did. 

Again, I think he's someone Flyers fans will be able to relate to. Heck, some of them probably met him in prison.

• Haha 1

I am not a fan of the concept of holding a crime like this over a guy's head for the rest of his life. It has no bearing on his ability to play hockey and the guy should be able to make a living doing so. 

On the flip side, when you read the details of the story, it really seems like the guy is a piece of sh!t. it seems to be a much deeper offense than "I got drunk and slapped my wife", which grated nobody should do either, but maybe its more acceptable for him to play again if it was something of that nature. 

In any event, if he does come back in a bigger market, it will be all over the press and I am not sure that's the kind of distraction we need. 

1 minute ago, CarterforPresident said:

Kings still hold his rights. He plays for them unless he's traded. 

Are you sure about that? I thought they terminated his contract. Can you do that AND still hold rights?

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MacDonald is 25 years old...kind of reminds me of when Suglobov scored 38 goals in 71 AHL games in 2005-06 (including the playoffs) as a 24-year-old...probably not a star in the making here, or a guy we'll be lamenting that "got away".  Doesn't seem like Shero was all that impressed either. 

I guess it was MacDonald's decision - Fitzy tried / no loyalty :koolaid: 

@ChrisRyan_NJ

The Devils talked to him about an NHL deal. Since he was on an AHL deal last year, he was a UFA. He had the right to explore his options. Florida presents a clearer path to the NHL

@JulieRobenhymer

Fitzgerald offered MacDonald a two-way contract extension in December. He politely declined knowing he’d become a UFA and might get more (term, money, opportunity, all of the above...?) on the open market. #NJDevils still heavily pursued signing him. He chose Florida/Springfield.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am not a fan of the concept of holding a crime like this over a guy's head for the rest of his life. It has no bearing on his ability to play hockey and the guy should be able to make a living doing so. 

On the flip side, when you read the details of the story, it really seems like the guy is a piece of sh!t. it seems to be a much deeper offense than "I got drunk and slapped my wife", which grated nobody should do either, but maybe its more acceptable for him to play again if it was something of that nature. 

In any event, if he does come back in a bigger market, it will be all over the press and I am not sure that's the kind of distraction we need. 

Are you sure about that? I thought they terminated his contract. Can you do that AND still hold rights?

They hold his his rights until the end of this upcoming season. Kind of like Kovy. They put him on voluntary retirement. And the LAKings have the worst winger situation in the league. They will need to trade pieces,  maybe Voynov as well to acquire what they need. 

Just now, LittleBallofHate said:

I guess it was MacDonald's decision - Fitzy tried / no loyalty :koolaid: 

@ChrisRyan_NJ

The Devils talked to him about an NHL deal. Since he was on an AHL deal last year, he was a UFA. He had the right to explore his options. Florida presents a clearer path to the NHL

@JulieRobenhymer

Fitzgerald offered MacDonald a two-way contract extension in December. He politely declined knowing he’d become a UFA and might get more (term, money, opportunity, all of the above...?) on the open market. #NJDevils still heavily pursued signing him. He chose Florida/Springfield.

Guess the guy felt like he had more of a shot with the Panthers.