2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

The Devils are one of the only teams that can take on Ryan's contract.  Now I wouldn't want to take on all of it, I'd want Ottawa to hold on at least 15%, and I'd want the Devils to immediately trade 50% of what's left elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I feel like realistically it would be Bratt, Butcher and a 1st for Karlsson and Ryan which is both a lot of assets and a lot of cap.  Can't imagine they're in love with McLeod given that they traded with us to move up and take Logan Brown instead.    

The Devils should absolutely not trade Bratt unless they are getting a signed Karlsson back.  They cannot give up a player like that for the hope of signing Karlsson - the Devils are not likely to offer a deal with huge bonuses or to massively frontload a contract.

• Like 1

Just now, Triumph said:

The Devils are one of the only teams that can take on Ryan's contract.  Now I wouldn't want to take on all of it, I'd want Ottawa to hold on at least 15%, and I'd want the Devils to immediately trade 50% of what's left elsewhere.  

The Devils should absolutely not trade Bratt unless they are getting a signed Karlsson back.  They cannot give up a player like that for the hope of signing Karlsson - the Devils are not likely to offer a deal with huge bonuses or to massively frontload a contract.

yeah, I'm assuming any Karlsson trade is for a signed EK based on the earlier tweets that the Senators are allowing would-be suitors to talk with his agent or whatever.  No way you deal those assets for one year.       

• Like 1

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 
I think a lot of people are forgetting that between now and the time the Ryan contract is over, we're guaranteed at least one lockout. Nearly a 100% guarantee. With a lockout comes another round of compliance buyouts, very likely, where we'd be able to rid ourselves of the Ryan deal before Nico's big money would be due. 

Or we could dump the Ryan contract in the expansion draft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, time for pie-in-sky thoughts courtesy of hungover MB3:

2019 1st (lottery protected), 2020 2nd, Severson, Greene (cap dump) and Anderson for Karlsson (re-signed 8x11, exact same deal Doughty got) and Bobby Ryan (no salary retained). 

14 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 

I think I would do that deal. 

I'd give Ryan a shot hoping the change of locale might jumpstart him. But that contract is HUGE. If you can move it, you move it.  

Also, he's from Cherry Hill...isn't that basically the Philadelphia area? lol

Edited by mfitz804

Oh, and I guess I wasn't clear about this: I trade a total of 0 things for Karlsson unless he's re-signed before he even gets on the plane over here. We're not out of the re-build enough yet to dump a bunch of assets into an expiring contract. 

Absolutely. I have no interest in an unsigned Karlsson.

• Like 1

I always wonder what guys like Ryan think about their huge contracts. I imagine its a mix of "thank god I signed that deal when I was still good" and feeling bad that you are getting $7.25m a year and giving very little in return. There's probably guys struggling to make $1m that have more skill than he has left. 

• Like 1

I really don't think Bobby Ryan is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, it's a struggle to be paying him like a bonafide 1st liner but he's still an NHLer in the sense he could fill a role as a solid 3rd liner.  His underlying numbers aren't amazing but they're manageable as a bottom 6 forward, and considering how thin we are on RW we could possibly use him for a year or two.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I always wonder what guys like Ryan think about their huge contracts. I imagine its a mix of "thank god I signed that deal when I was still good" and feeling bad that you are getting $7.25m a year and giving very little in return. There's probably guys struggling to make $1m that have more skill than he has left. 

He's probably in strong denial thinking he's going to demonstrate his contract's worth by lighting it up next season.  Actually though I really feel he's got a lot left. Problem is his hands are shot, so if he can somehow resolve that best he can I think he can be a decent player. He still has the wheels and that's always a good fit on our team.

16 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I really don't think Bobby Ryan is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, it's a struggle to be paying him like a bonafide 1st liner but he's still an NHLer in the sense he could fill a role as a solid 3rd liner.  His underlying numbers aren't amazing but they're manageable as a bottom 6 forward, and considering how thin we are on RW we could possibly use him for a year or two.

Yeah, you probably think of him a lot differently if he's the throw in that gets you EK at a discount as opposed to if he's your high priced top line replacement for Daniel Alfredsson.      

15 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

His numbers from last year would have had him tied for 5th on our team for assists and 6th on the team in points, and he only played in 62 games. 

His 11G/22A/33P was better than Noesen, Zajac, Gibbons, Coleman, Zacha (duh), Boyle, and Stafford (more duh) in relatively the same number or fewer games. 

That's a little perspective on how much he sucked. Of course, if you take Zajac out of that list, I think Ryan probably out-earned the entire group collectively. At least its probably close lol. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

His numbers from last year would have had him tied for 5th on our team for assists and 6th on the team in points, and he only played in 62 games. 

His 11G/22A/33P was better than Noesen, Zajac, Gibbons, Coleman, Zacha (duh), Boyle, and Stafford (more duh) in relatively the same number or fewer games. 

That's a little perspective on how much he sucked. Of course, if you take Zajac out of that list, I think Ryan probably out-earned the entire group collectively. At least its probably close lol. 

That really doesn't sound bad to me, that's a 44 point pace over 82 games on a tire fire Ottawa team. Obviously not worth the $7.25M price tag but we have a lot of space to play with for a couple years, if you can add a 40 point player to your 3rd line that's a pretty decent addition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

That really doesn't sound bad to me, that's a 44 point pace over 82 games on a tire fire Ottawa team. Obviously not worth the $7.25M price tag but we have a lot of space to play with for a couple years, if you can add a 40 point player to your 3rd line that's a pretty decent addition.

That's right. I'd give him the opportunity. If he pulls a Grabner, that's another story...

• Like 2

I think Sens could work a deal to unload his salary by picking up a good amount of his cap hit (3 mil)? and throw in a draft pick in exchange for something. Doesn't have to involve Karlson

Does Ryan really deserve to be written off already? I feel like he's had one bad season, compared to like 4 top flight performance years. I get that the contract is bad, but I feel like he's got enough left in the tank and is a good enough finisher around the net to have a career rejuvenation. I would welcome him to the team especially if packaged with one of the top three D Men in the league 

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean there has to be a bit of guilt involved, but at the end of the day.. he's going to make more money on this contract than 99% of people make in their lifetimes.  These guys are competitors though so I'm sure that eats away at them a bit.

Multiquote coming up, watch out.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, time for pie-in-sky thoughts courtesy of hungover MB3:

2019 1st (lottery protected), 2020 2nd, Severson, Greene (cap dump) and Anderson for Karlsson (re-signed 8x11, exact same deal Doughty got) and Bobby Ryan (no salary retained). 

Sign me up for this, though I don't think they'll want Greene back (nor do I think we'll trade our captain, unfortunately). I think you might have to dangle Zacha or McLeod in there instead of Anderson though.

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Devils aren't involved The Devils are never involved

Shush you.  Shero's been quiet, let us hope he's been working the phones on this deal.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Not sure we have the assets to compete with what some of these other teams can offer. Taking on the Ryan contract does not seem appealing at all and if we are in serious talks you know that is going to be part of the deal. 

Others have addressed this already, but there are a couple ways to deal with Ryan's contract.  If it means getting Karlsson for pennies on the dollar you gotta go for it.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Does Karlsson's plus/minus worry you folks?

Considering Ottawa was trash, and all the drama off the ice... nope.  

Total dumpster fire.  +/- shouldn't count for much.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolutely. I have no interest in an unsigned Karlsson.

Agreed, and I think the understanding now is that whatever team acquires him will do so with the extension agreed upon.  

I wonder if he'd consider playing in NJ.  God I hope so.

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

1) I hope we're the "New York based team"

2) If so, fvck you Sportsnet for calling us a "New York Based Team"

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3