2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

De Haan to Carolina? What?

It’s basically Severson’s AAV but for four years.  I don’t know if De Haan had no interest in NJ, but if that’s not the case, I really want to know what Ray is pinching pennies for.

Well if i understood correctly how it works... Now we have to pretend we dodged a bullet... that he wasn't that good, that he's overpaid, and that suddenly his surgery from last year is a big deal after all etc etc? 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm done watching now. NJ doesn't APPEAR active so I'll check back in a couple days instead of refreshing every 30 min like I have been. Then sh!t will probably start happening. 

Yeah it's pretty annoying. We better hope Hall has another MVP year again

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Guess we really aren’t signing any good free agents this year. I hope Ray has something else in mind. 

well what sucks is that you can have the best GM in the league trying. If the player doesn't want to play on your team. Not much you can do especially with all those teams having a lot of cap space

Not sure why they dont keep the cap stable for a few years to let teams adjust.

If Shero somehow could snag Pesce from Carolina, that would be amazing, though unlikely. I could see him targeting one of the younger high potential guys that doesn't have much of a shot there (Bean, Fleury) due to being blocked by that abundance of talent.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well what sucks is that you can have the best GM in the league trying. If the player doesn't want to play on your team. Not much you can do especially with all those teams having a lot of cap space

Not sure why they dont keep the cap stable for a few years to let teams adjust.

Part of the job of a GM and his staff is to be able to sell a vision to these players.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Devilsfan118

So, we've essentially whiffed on buffing up the defense via free agency.  On to the next step which a bunch of people here were expecting - a trade.

Outside of Karlsson (which now somehow seems like a longshot) I don't think we'll see a very sexy acquisition.  Some run-of-the-mill top-4 guy is my guess.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

are you really blaming Shero here?

I'm not necessarily blaming anyone specifically - but obsolving any GM of any responsibility regarding free agency by saying "well players might not want to go to certain places no matter what so what can you do" isn't accurate or fair imo.

2 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I can't blame Shero here. I guess - I mean they have a super mediocre GM, an unproven coach, compared with what we have. I can't imagine he signed there over us, unless we didn't offer money, term, something else. 

Sometimes it just comes down to location. Who wouldn't want to live in a warm climate? If I had a choice over NJ vs Tampa/Dallas/Carolina/SJ/ANA/LA it wouldn't be close if they were offering the same money.