2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm not a CBA lawyer or smart enough to come up with a workable solution, clearly.

But I dunno, something where the hard cap varies from team to team depending on the state's tax rate.  IE if NJ's state tax is 10% (simple math, it isn't) then give NJ a 10% boost to their cap limit.

I mean as it stands Tampa essentially has almost a 30% cap advantage over a state like California, for example.  That's insane.

You’re going to change the cap based on something that has nothing to do with the NHL or hockey at all? That’s like saying the cost of living in NYC is higher, so the cap should be higher for NYC teams so they can pay there guys more. 

Dont get me wrong, I don’t like the idea of a salary cap at all, but you can’t impose one and then selectively enforce it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I do think 56% is absurd but I'm sure he's got sponsorship money too coming in, probably even more to come with being in Toronto now. 

YUP, he will be doing endorsements (even though he has the personality of a 2x4 LOL

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Even if JT loses 56% of his money, he's still walking away with $5M a year for 7 years, I think he'll be fine for basically ever.

Listen, even a guy who makes 900k for 10 years should be able to live pretty comfortably. That’s still more than double what a guy making $100k a year makes in 40 years. 

But if you think for a second I’m going to cry for John Tavares because his tax liability is so high because he’s making a mint, you’re dead wrong. Fvck him, if he runs out of money it’s because he’s an idiot, not because of taxes. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I do think 56% is absurd but I'm sure he's got sponsorship money too coming in, probably even more to come with being in Toronto now. 

You know what else is absurd? Making $11m  year to play fvcking hockey. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Even if JT loses 56% of his money, he's still walking away with $5M a year for 7 years, I think he'll be fine for basically ever.

There was actually an ESPN 30-for-30 doc on ex-NFL players that go broke after their careers, and I was expecting to feel sorry for a lot of these guys but I felt no remorse for the people they interviewed for this. There was one guy who couldn't pay his child support bills because he spent that money on a new Hummer 3 instead, a lot of the stories in that doc amounted to just pure stupidity.

Look at that dummy Cromartie who played with the NY Jets,  he's got 14 kids, 6 with his current wife on their dumb reality show and the rest of the 8 kids he had with 7 different women. I can't even imagine the child support payments he has to pay every month. You would have thought after maybe the 3rd different woman he would think hey maybe I should use some protection. Moron.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Look at that dummy Cromartie who played with the NY Jets,  he's got 14 kids, 6 with his current wife on their dumb reality show and the rest of the 8 kids he had with 7 different women. I can't even imagine the child support payments he has to pay every month. You would have thought after maybe the 3rd different woman he would think hey maybe I should use some protection. Moron.

He also had some after a failed vasectomy. Dude has the most powerful sperm on earth. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Listen, even a guy who makes 900k for 10 years should be able to live pretty comfortably. That’s still more than double what a guy making $100k a year makes in 40 years. 

But if you think for a second I’m going to cry for John Tavares because his tax liability is so high because he’s making a mint, you’re dead wrong. Fvck him, if he runs out of money it’s because he’s an idiot, not because of taxes. 

You know what else is absurd? Making $11m  year to play fvcking hockey. 

No argument there but even as a normal average person I think our taxes are way too high, venturing into an off topic discussion but property taxes in this area have gotten out of control. I wouldn't complain about it though if I was making 11 million a year lol

Just now, mfitz804 said:

He also had some after a failed vasectomy. Dude has the most powerful sperm on earth. 

That's insane lol you would think you would be extra paranoid and just make sure you had condoms stashed in a locked box so you knew she wasn't poking holes in then either lol

While I do agree that unless he is an idiot with his money and spending habits that the extra money won't make much of a difference, I don't fault him or anyone making whatever salary for trying to find any way to make as much money as possible.

I got promoted this past week and when it came time for salary negotiations I pushed back on my company's initial salary offer.  After some discussion we finally agreed to a number higher than what they initially offered.  The extra amount is nowhere close as the difference between being financially secure or oblivion, but it's still money I didn't have before.  That's how I feel about players wanting a few extra hundred thousand or million to play in states with no income tax.

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While I do agree that unless he is an idiot with his money and spending habits that the extra money won't make much of a difference, I don't fault him or anyone making whatever salary for trying to find any way to make as much money as possible.

I got promoted this past week and when it came time for salary negotiations I pushed back on my company's initial salary offer.  After some discussion we finally agreed to a number higher than what they initially offered.  The extra amount is nowhere close as the difference between being financially secure or oblivion, but it's still money I didn't have before.  That's how I feel about players wanting a few extra hundred thousand or million to play in states with no income tax.

Did you start negotiations with “Well, Tavares just got $77m, so...”?

99% of the time, your boss is paying you less than they think you are worth. What you did is you closed that gap. Well done. 

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

No argument there but even as a normal average person I think our taxes are way too high, venturing into an off topic discussion but property taxes in this area have gotten out of control. I wouldn't complain about it though if I was making 11 million a year lol

I agree, I’m in NY and my taxes are too high. Try to convince your boss that you deserve a raise because the taxes are so high lol.

And you would, you wouldn’t believe what I’ve seen my bosses do to try to defer payments to the following year because we already “made too much money” in the current year.

My offers to absorb the extra and pay the taxes on it is rejected annually. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Did you start negotiations with “Well, Tavares just got $77m, so...”?

99% of the time, your boss is paying you less than they think you are worth. What you did is you closed that gap. Well done. 

I agree, I’m in NY and my taxes are too high. Try to convince your boss that you deserve a raise because the taxes are so high lol.

And you would, you wouldn’t believe what I’ve seen my bosses do to try to defer payments to the following year because we already “made too much money” in the current year.

My offers to absorb the extra and pay the taxes on it is rejected annually. 

Thanks!  Their initial offer was still pretty good and a good amount more than what I was previously making.  I just wrote back a list of why I believe I deserved even more and they agreed and I got even more.

For some reason in today's society making money is almost demonized.  I felt zero guilt about asking and getting more.  That's why I don't hold it against professional athletes looking for ways to squeeze every last dollar out of teams.

As for the tax portion, I know that at my salary if I was in say in TN where there is no state income taxes that I wouldn't be making nearly as much for the same job.  It is a combination of high taxes and high cost of living that drives salaries up in the NJ/NY area.  I also know for a fact that if I did the same work but in NYC that I would be earning even more, but taxes are just as bad and cost of living is worse than in NJ.

• Like 1

giphy.gif&key=21a2a5fc710cb72aa1fe416ba405e49dbd7f11e4fb498cc4230a8d2bd0dc2e43

All over but the crying..... can’t wait to see that Tampa traded Alex Killorn, Brayden Coburn, and Ryan Callahan, while agreeing to stock the Senators’ vending machines for the next three years, in exchange for a Norris Trophy winner. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

As I said earlier.... fvck off.

I've heard repeatedly that the Rangers are not in on Erik Karlsson (most recently, Elliotte Friedman, David Pagnotta), so if anything maybe they're involved in a 3-way trade where they take a pick/prospect in exchange for taking on Bobby Ryan.

I've heard repeatedly that the Rangers are not in on Erik Karlsson (most recently, Elliotte Friedman, David Pagnotta), so if anything maybe they're involved in a 3-way trade where they take a pick/prospect in exchange for taking on Bobby Ryan.

That’s exactly what they’re probably doing, that or CAPTAIN CALLY BRAH is making a return to the World’s Most Famous Septic Tank[emoji769]️.

• Haha 2

almost makes too much sense. Callahan back to the Rangers as a cap dump, they get another young Prospect or pick in return for helping out. Tampa gets cap relief and Erik Karlsson.

This fvcking blows.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FWIW: 

@Aportzline   The Athletic: Blue Jackets sign Anthony Duclair, 22, to one-year, $650,000 contract https://theathletic.com/421685/2018/07/05/report-blue-jackets-sign-anthony-duclair-to-one-year-contract/ …

Wow, that’s the lowest contract I’ve ever heard anyone agreeing to.Wow, that’s the lowest contract I’ve ever heard anyone agreeing to.