2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

Blog post regarding Devils cap space.  Trust in Shero.  

https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/7/4/17534410/its-fine-if-the-new-jersey-devils-do-nothing-this-summer-a-defense-of-doing-little

"As Chris Ryan pointed out, Shero discusses how cap space, once gone, is difficult to get back. And this is important for a Devils team that has the potential to be good for a pretty long time if they set themselves up well. Shero has been shrewd with his use of cap space in his tenure here. If you look at last offseason, he used his extra cap space, not as fuel to overpay a free agent, but as leverage to pry a good forward on a decent contract away from a cap-strapped team. Having cap space doesn’t mean you have to use the cap space on dumb free agent deals. Do I like James van Riemsdyk? Sure. Do I want to give him $35M through the next 5 years? Definitely not. Is Calvin de Haan a good NHL player? Definitely. Do I want to give $18M over 4 years (higher AAV than Severson) to someone who’s been healthy 1 full season and never topped 25 points? Not really. Would John Carlson make us better? Of course. Am I giving him $64M over the next 8 years? HELLLLLLLLL NO."

According to CapFriendly Will Butcher and Marcus Johansson will have contracts that are up next offseason. The year after that is Hart-winner, Taylor Hall, along with Nico Hischier and Jesper Bratt. Now, some of those are RFAs which may impact negotiations slightly, and I’m assuming Johansson returns to form a bit after struggling with health this past year, but that’s still a lot of money that is likely to get shelled out in the next two offseasons. Three of those guys are on ELCs and the other two are on very reasonable contracts. And at the time of that second swath of deals, we will still have nearly $12M (15% of the cap) wrapped up in 35-year-old Travis Zajac and 34-year-old Cory Schneider. Hall will get Tavares money in all likelihood -- that’s another $11M (14% of cap). Nico will probably get something like Hall’s first deal which was 10% of the cap ~$8M. We’re now at 40% of the cap and all we have is 2 good forwards, and two players who should probably be retired. If we want to give anyone 3+ years, we have to think it’s worth the reduced flexibility it will give us at that time.

We want to keep our core together at all costs and we don't want the cap to limit our flexibility.  It's probably good that we are mostly standing pat.  Let's see how the young guns develop for another year.  If we suck with the virtually same team and the same coach, we can make adjustments then and there, and keep building the team for the draft.  We want to be good, but we shouldn't be spending much at all if we want to keep Hall, Hischier, Johansson, Bratt, Butcher and call this our core.  

Who else should be a part of this future core that I possibly missed?

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I'm not buying the Chris ryan spin, dehaan can't get 4.5mil but andy G can get 5?? Zzzzzzzz I'm not blaming Shero, if players don't want to come over , what can you do...  still frustrating 

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I'm not buying the Chris ryan spin, dehaan can't get 4.5mil but andy G can get 5?? Zzzzzzzz I'm not blaming Shero, if players don't want to come over , what can you do...  still frustrating 

From a business perspective its the right move.  Why overpay when you can take advantage of teams with cap problems and get decent/good players that way.  Instead of dealing with 30 other bidders, you're dealing with a small handful which both increases your odds of landing the player and doesn't artificially raise their value with a bidding war.

Trust the process.... but if people want to lose their minds and freak out ala Twitter, hfboards, or Facebook go ahead.... it will change nothing

With cap going up what teams exactly have cap problems to force them giving away good players for pennies on the dollar? Even Johansson last year cost 2nd and 3rd rounder - Devils simply ran out of such picks to offer this year due to Vatman and Grabner trades 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

From a business perspective its the right move.  Why overpay when you can take advantage of teams with cap problems and get decent/good players that way.  Instead of dealing with 30 other bidders, you're dealing with a small handful which both increases your odds of landing the player and doesn't artificially raise their value with a bidding war.

Trust the process.... but if people want to lose their minds and freak out ala Twitter, hfboards, or Facebook go ahead.... it will change nothing

I understand that philosophy,  but upgrading your putrid d Corp with a 4.5 mil purchase isn't killing any future plans.. that's just not accurate..  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I understand that philosophy,  but upgrading your putrid d Corp with a 4.5 mil purchase isn't killing any future plans.. that's just not accurate..  

De Haan has missed nearly 2 full seasons since turning pro.  Healthy, that's a bargain.  If he misses 100 games over the course of the contract, less so.  Having an unreliable player on the cap can certainly affect future plans.

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d prefer he go to the west if he isn’t coming to the Devils. And COLUMBUS? Yeah fvck that, if he’s willing to sign there, he damn well better be willing to sign here. I don’t have to go into all the reasons NJ is a better place to live than motherfvcking Columbus, Ohio, so I’m not gonna waste my time. There is NO REASON we should not be involved in these talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio is a perfectly nice place to live. At least Cincinnati and Columbus are. Cleveland otoh...

• Like 1

Ohio is a perfectly nice place to live. At least Cincinnati and Columbus are. Cleveland otoh...

Actually the only two times I’ve been to Ohio, it was NE Ohio (Cleveland and Canton, as both trips were to the Football HOF), and it isn’t bad, it’s a lot nicer than it gets credit for. So I’ll take your word for it that Columbus is nice- but I’m partial to my home state lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Triumph said:

De Haan has missed nearly 2 full seasons since turning pro.  Healthy, that's a bargain.  If he misses 100 games over the course of the contract, less so.  Having an unreliable player on the cap can certainly affect future plans.

The shoulder is scary, for a defenseman.. no doubt.. but like you said its a bargain for a solid defensive  d-MAN.. something we need ...  I'm not thrilled with what we are going into this season with back there.. not making the Playoffs will be a bit of a setback..  

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Cool, well there goes that dream.

Not adding a #1C or #1D this offseason.

Here's to Zajac as our 2C boys!

We're 6 days in pal. Literally MONTHS away from training camp. calm down

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Cool, well there goes that dream.

Not adding a #1C or #1D this offseason.

Here's to Zajac as our 2C boys!

Rather have MOJO or Zacha play 2C. Zajac needs to play with the Texans as a shutdown line. 

• Like 1