2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

44 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Cool, well there goes that dream.

Not adding a #1C or #1D this offseason.

Here's to Zajac as our 2C boys!

Not to worry, Lou only strapped us to Zajac until the year 2025 at $6.5 mil per season and a NTC. It was a solid investment. Ditto for Greene. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Not to worry, Lou only strapped us to Zajac until the year 2025 at $6.5 mil per season and a NTC. It was a solid investment. Ditto for Greene. 

Zajac is signed until 2021, the same year Nico is set for his raise and he's earning 5.75. It's perfect timing for his contract to be up. Zajac is worth every penny for the work he does keeping the other team's top line off the score sheet. Had he been healthy, he would have pulled 30pts easy as well.

I don't get the Zajac hate. His defensive game is his strength. It always has been. If NJ was getting lit up night in and night out and losing a lot more face offs you'd be bitching we need a guy like Zajac. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll elaborate for you - it seems like the readily available options are off the table.

The ones that made sense.

They are but it might work in our favour somehow.

For example, i read that Krug might become available in Boston but that it wouldn't be until training camp. Cause he missed some time last season and teams may want to make sure he's fine so he's got to prove himself a bit before. (i mean to be fair De Haan didn't have to) But overall deals like this once teams are more settled might pop or once some players are surprising at camp and open up some room for a trade. Even for us. McLeod, Q and all those guys don't have much value if they can't

It's never good to rely on free agency too much either cause really, you truly cannot control much. You can try to sell a player on your team as much as you can but ultimately they usually have a bunch of options and the chance that you're that team without throwing ridiculous money or terms that you might regret in a few years.. sometimes the best move is to do nothing.

I mean... just think of the Wild... signed 9 guys... 13 years... $98m. They are not even half way in their contract, past their prime and winning 2 games in the 2nd round is their peak. Plus Suter's leg is fvcked now and he might never be the same and Zach has been missing ton of time with health problems too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyP. said:
NgC09yRD_bigger.jpgDavid Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
FollowFollow @TheFourthPeriod
More

For all the talk of the NYR possibly being the 3rd team in the OTT/TB potential trade, I'm told the Devils have also been in the mix and may possibly be the 3rd team when all is said and done. Not set in stone, but NJ has been involved in these talks.

Finally. There you go DF118. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh whoah. So Karlsson goes to Tampa... we get Sergachev and Hedman.... Rangers get Greene?

I'm in. 

You say this sh!t and when I'm tired I'm dumb enough to believe it for a second and then I hate you. Then I hate myself for being so stupid. 

It's been reported the Karlsson trade is done by one dude but Friedman says nothing final yet as of now. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Haha 3

here's a suggested traded from this article

To Tampa Bay: Erik Karlsson (signed to an eight year contract extension)

To New Jersey: Tyler Johnson, Ryan Callahan, and Tampa Bay’s 2020 second round draft pick 

To Ottawa: Brayden Point, Cal Foote, Pavel Zacha, New Jersey’s 2019 first round draft pick, and Tampa Bay’s 2019 third round draft pick

https://wtpsports.com/2018/07/05/a-three-team-blockbuster-trade-on-the-horizon/

I'm actually not sure if i'd make that trade... we'd basically be giving a 21 years old Zacha + a 1st (that might be very low for all we know) for a 27years old 5' 8 Johnson + 2nd (who would likely be like... 60th overall) plus we're taking Callahan's salary and dump him on the 4th line at 5.8m a year?

I don't know. im not doing it. For all we know Zacha might develop into something better than Johnsson... important to note that Johnsson played his first NHL season (14 games) at 22 years old... had 6 pts... And Zacha has already been in the league 2 years... i dunnooooo

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

To New Jersey: Tyler Johnson, Ryan Callahan, and Tampa Bay’s 2020 second round draft pick 

To Ottawa: Brayden Point, Cal Foote, Pavel Zacha, New Jersey’s 2019 first round draft pick, and Tampa Bay’s 2019 third round draft pick

I'm actually not sure if i'd make that trade... we'd basically be giving a 21 years old Zacha + a 1st (that might be very low for all we know) for a 27years old 5' 8 Johnson + 2nd (who would likely be like... 60th overall) plus we're taking Callahan's salary and dump him on the 4th line at 5.8m a year?

I don't know. im not doing it. For all we know Zacha might develop into something better than Johnsson... important to note that Johnsson played his first NHL season (14 games) at 22 years old... had 6 pts... And Zacha has already been in the league 2 years... i dunnooooo

Trade makes absolutely no sense for us. Pretty sure Shero wouldn’t do that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Trade makes absolutely no sense for us. Pretty sure Shero wouldn’t do that.

if we can somehow land Point or Gourde, i'd be all in but i can't imagine that happening. If those guys are moved they are going to Ottawa.

Plus whatever player we get... if it's from Tampa, buddy would be even more down than Hall was going from a now super legit cup contender to us. 

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Complete fiction. Ryan Callahan is a 33 year-old RW coming off 18 points in 67 games (and 17 goals in his last 158 games). He costs 5.8M over two years and I'm not even sure he survives in the league as an every night player through the course of that deal. Tyler Johnson is a diminutive center who's coming off a season in which his production dropped significantly (he took more shots per game but his assists dropped off). He's wasn't so bad that it would be unbelievable if he had a turn around season but he's signed for the next 6 years at 5M and would be a fairly big risk to take. Executing this trade would not only be incredibly dumb, it would go against the entire mission Shero has been carrying out the past few years to make this team younger, faster, and devoid of bad contracts. And our first round pick next year could be in the top 10. 

Zacha you can trade for a pair of skates, I couldn't give a fvck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m fine taking salary off of Tampa’s hands at this point since someone is going to do it.  If it has to be Callahan fine, but I want a really good sweetener that isn’t Tyler Johnson.  He’s Montreal-Scott Gomez waiting to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m fine taking salary off of Tampa’s hands at this point since someone is going to do it.  If it has to be Callahan fine, but I want a really good sweetener that isn’t Tyler Johnson.  He’s Montreal-Scott Gomez waiting to happen.

I get what you're saying re: Callahan but he really doesn't have any place on our team either. If he's just a pure salary dump, then we need a lot more than TJ and I'm not sure they're offering anyone that'd be worth it. Maybe Sergachev fits the bill, and he's still a pretty big question mark, and like Butcher, doesn't play the PK.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Obviously the trade is absolute bananas and it reeks of "hey we gotta get a third team in there who cares if they get fleeced in this". I'd probably take Johnson on NJ though as some sort of compensation for taking Callahan and I think Zacha turning into Johnson+ (ie what Johnson was 3-4 years ago, not what he seems to be now which is an OK 2C) is a pipe dream at this point.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 2

Maybe it’s as simple as a pick for taking on Callahan for two years?  We might be a place he would actually waive for given his ties to the area and that we’re in much better position than the Rags.  If it’s a decent pick, I would do it given the relatively short term left on his deal.  

Maybe my faith is misplaced but I cant see Ray allowing the Devil's to be part of a deal where they get a sh!tty return or get exploited by other teams. 

He seems so clued on on what the new NHL is about and what it takes to succeed that I can't see him getting worked over by any other GM. 

If the Devil's are involved in this they are getting something out of it or its not happening.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Finally. There you go DF118. 

Image result for the office thank you gif

48 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Maybe my faith is misplaced but I cant see Ray allowing the Devil's to be part of a deal where they get a sh!tty return or get exploited by other teams. 

He seems so clued on on what the new NHL is about and what it takes to succeed that I can't see him getting worked over by any other GM. 

If the Devil's are involved in this they are getting something out of it or its not happening.  

I'm with you - Ray is way too smart to be "that GM" that gets involved in a 3-way trade just to be the team that gets dumped on.  If we're taking salary back, you can bet he's going to get compensated for it.  

I don't like that we're helping another team get Karlsson - especially one in the east - but considering he's clearly not interested in coming here I like that Ray's being savvy and taking advantage of our endless cap space.

I'd love Tyler Johnson personally.  Size doesn't scare me in this new NHL, I love his speed and I think he'd slot right in perfectly at #2.  Give me Callahan and Johnson, we'll throw in Zacha and call it a day.

I'm with you - Ray is way too smart to be "that GM" that gets involved in a 3-way trade just to be the team that gets dumped on.  If we're taking salary back, you can bet he's going to get compensated for it.  
I don't like that we're helping another team get Karlsson - especially one in the east - but considering he's clearly not interested in coming here I like that Ray's being savvy and taking advantage of our endless cap space.
I'd love Tyler Johnson personally.  Size doesn't scare me in this new NHL, I love his speed and I think he'd slot right in perfectly at #2.  Give me Callahan and Johnson, we'll throw in Zacha and call it a day.

Let’s not throw in Zacha, because that seems completely unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean fair enough, if we can keep him and still complete the deal great.

But, to me, Zacha is a piece that might have a lot more value than we think.  Draft position, age, etc.  I mean I think he's a bust (unpopular opinion, don't jump on me here) so if we can get something for him now I'd be happy.

I mean fair enough, if we can keep him and still complete the deal great.
But, to me, Zacha is a piece that might have a lot more value than we think.  Draft position, age, etc.  I mean I think he's a bust (unpopular opinion, don't jump on me here) so if we can get something for him now I'd be happy.

He’s 21. It’s entirely too early to call him a bust. This take is really beginning to irritate me. Probably because I’ve been watching hockey for 33 years of the 39 I’ve been alive, and I’ve learned that most players take time to develop. This fan base is so fvcking spoiled that it has completely skewered reality for some fans. Not every prospect is McDavid.

• Like 3

NgC09yRD_bigger.jpg&key=a687b405a431da7d4bfcec9968f341528dc198053681b72447c329a0f6136194David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod FollowFollow @TheFourthPeriod More

For all the talk of the NYR possibly being the 3rd team in the OTT/TB potential trade, I'm told the Devils have also been in the mix and may possibly be the 3rd team when all is said and done. Not set in stone, but NJ has been involved in these talks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Image result for the office thank you gif

Tyler Johnson had an odd season last year...I don't think it gets any streakier than his 2017-18.  At one point, he had 12 goals and 16 assists during a 23-game burst from 11/25/17 through 1/20/18.  He had just 13 points (5 G, 8 A) after that, in 36 GP. 

He's interesting, in that he's cost-controlled for a LOOOOONG time, at $5 mil per (Devils would have him through the 2023-24 season), and for the people who were bitching about the Devils not making more of a play for ROR, Johnson's and ROR's overall production since establishing themselves isn't that far off:  Johnson's put up about 23 G and 32 A per 82 GP (five seasons), and ROR's put up about 22 G and 39 A per 82 GP (seven seasons)...but obviously Johnson comes with a much lower cap hit. 

Johnson definitely has potential bargain written all over him, as long as he can be a consistent 50-60 point player.  As far as a guy like Johnson goes, this has Shero's "surprise surprise" smarts written all over it. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Only thing is where do you play him?  In a way you're kind of moving an iffy Zacha for the more established Johnson.  Zajac's the 3C.  I'm not giving up on Zacha, but assuming Nico and Johnson can stay healthy, it seems like the room for Zacha just won't be there.

I don't think the Devils should be coughing up that first-rounder though.  Especially since they're taking on Callahan (even if it's only for a couple of years).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Only thing is where do you play him?  In a way you're kind of moving an iffy Zacha for the more established Johnson.  Zajac's the 3C. 

I don't think the Devils should be coughing up that first-rounder though.  Especially since they're taking on Callahan (even if it's only for a couple of years).

Move him to wing in that scenario. But I’m not giving up on the kid yet.

• Like 1