2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So basically every Ken Daneyko broadcast ever. 

Correct. Like when we signed Devante Smith-Pelly, it will be like we intentionally did so to trip him up. 

Edited by mfitz804

any way we could land Sergachev, Point or Gourde i'd be delighted. I'm obviously not naming all the big untouchables from Tampa though

Like the Kucherov’s of the world, those three guys are a pipe dream for us. If we do help facilitate this deal, it’ll probably be Johnson coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I never understand this type of Tweet. Who believes that? What does it mean to "believe" there's a chance? 

This person probably called his sources and asked, "Do you think it's still possible Karlsson goes to Dallas," and they respond, "Well, yeah it's possible." And then he puts out the vague, safe Tweet above just to provide some news.

• Like 1

I never understand this type of Tweet. Who believes that? What does it mean to "believe" there's a chance? 
This person probably called his sources and asked, "Do you think it's still possible Karlsson goes to Dallas," and they respond, "Well, yeah it's possible." And then he puts out the vague, safe Tweet above just to provide some news.

At this point, I just want this deal to be made and for all the speculation to be over. I understand it’s a complicated deal to make with a lot of moving parts, but enough already lol.

When I think about the possibility of the Devils being the 3rd team in this trade, it makes the most sense to me that we would be involved to take on Bobby Ryan. Yes, TBL needs to clear cap space and wants desperately to get rid of Callahan but they're the ones getting the big asset, so it doesn't make sense to me that they would be able to move their least desirable asset as well. 

Furthermore, OTT surely wants to move Ryan if they're going to move EK, this is their one chance to do that. This is where the Devils come into play because what is DEFINITELY for sure is that TBL cannot take on Ryan. Thus, NJD becomes the catalyst for Ottawa to even want to trade with TB. 

I can see NJD taking Ryan and a top prospect/young player from TBL and/or a pick,  and giving away Zacha and maybe another piece (Santini?).

1 hour ago, SS-SS said:

Not only that, we're supposed to be giving 1st round draft picks and receiving 2nd round ones in exchange while we also give Ottawa a prospect? All that for Tyler Johnson..Yeah I'll gladly take a season long hard look at McLeod and Zacha.

If there is no draft picks leaving us, I'm okay with it, but I wont jeopardize my 1st round pick before the season even starts to facilitate a deal between two conference rivals. fvck them, let the dumb Rags do it as they always do.

If Shero goes through with this trade I will lose it. He can't be that dumb.

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

When I think about the possibility of the Devils being the 3rd team in this trade, it makes the most sense to me that we would be involved to take on Bobby Ryan. Yes, TBL needs to clear cap space and wants desperately to get rid of Callahan but they're the ones getting the big asset, so it doesn't make sense to me that they would be able to move their least desirable asset as well. 

Furthermore, OTT surely wants to move Ryan if they're going to move EK, this is their one chance to do that. This is where the Devils come into play because what is DEFINITELY for sure is that TBL cannot take on Ryan. Thus, NJD becomes the catalyst for Ottawa to even want to trade with TB. 

I can see NJD taking Ryan and a top prospect/young player from TBL and/or a pick,  and giving away Zacha and maybe another piece (Santini?).

If Ottawa and Tampa want NJ to take on a bad contract............ Shero better not get rid of a damn thing of significance. 

Ryan = getting back a 1st round pick or top prospect. That’s it. Case closed.

I’m not helping a conference foe by taking on a bad contract off their books, all the while sending back anything of consequence.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Ryan is 31, how many more years does he have in the tank? 3-4? Devils won't be competitive enough for a Cup in at least 2-3 years. The trade makes no sense. They should be acquiring younger guys in their mid 20's 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Unless we're also getting a few draft picks or prospects, fvck everything about that. We get 1 year of a 31 year old defenseman who was pretty 'meh' last year and the worst contract in the NHL... for nada? No. 

Never said it made sense, just a weird feeling I had once I read we might be part of this weird deal. No way do I want only that if we're eating the contract of a guy whose hands are a wreck right now.

Tyler Johnson apparently has a full no trade clause.  I've recall reading somewhere that he wasn't asked to waive it.  So my guess is that "third teams" don't see him as worth their while to take on a cap dump.

But getting back to my Kucherov idea, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

In any deal, I assume that Sergachev is going to Ottawa.  At the moment, he's the third left handed defenseman behind Hedman and McDonough.  So let's say the Devils are the third team that's available to take on whatever Tampa needs to dump to make it work, Callahan, Coburn, Girardi, whoever.  The Devils add cost controlled players that Tampa can use, Bratt and Severson.

So without the cap dumping stuff it's:

Tampa:  Karlsson, Bratt, Severson
Ottawa:  Sergachev (other stuff)
New Jersey: Kucherov (crap Tampa is getting rid of)

It's not crazy for Tampa, especially if it's going to be difficult for them to give Kucherov a new contract if they're paying Karlsson $11 million a year

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Tyler Johnson apparently has a full no trade clause.  I've recall reading somewhere that he wasn't asked to waive it.  So my guess is that "third teams" don't see him as worth their while to take on a cap dump.

But getting back to my Kucherov idea, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

In any deal, I assume that Sergachev is going to Ottawa.  At the moment, he's the third left handed defenseman behind Hedman and McDonough.  So let's say the Devils are the third team that's available to take on whatever Tampa needs to dump to make it work, Callahan, Coburn, Girardi, whoever.  The Devils add cost controlled players that Tampa can use, Bratt and Severson.

So without the cap dumping stuff it's:

Tampa:  Karlsson, Bratt, Severson
Ottawa:  Sergachev (other stuff)
New Jersey: Kucherov (crap Tampa is getting rid of)

It's not crazy for Tampa, especially if it's going to be difficult for them to give Kucherov a new contract if they're paying Karlsson $11 million a year

Tampa wants to win the Cup next year. They're not trading Kucherov.

They also want Karlsson and presumably want him with an extension.  Very difficult for them to do that and keep Kucharov. 

I’m sure they’ll find a way. Kucherov isn’t being traded. It’s really not even worth hypothetical discussion because there is literally no chance of this happening.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m sure they’ll find a way. Kucherov isn’t being traded. It’s really not even worth hypothetical discussion because there is literally no chance of this happening.

Yzerman is in a win now mode. Let next year's Yzerman deal with that cap problem or trade his RFA rights

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

All I'll say that if the reports that the Devils are involved are accurate and nothing has happened yet, my guess is that's who Shero is asking for.  If the Devils or whatever third party was looking for Johnson, Killorn or Palat as the sweetener for the cap dump, it would have happened by now.  The only other player that might be worth some team's while that Tampa might be hesitant to give up would be  JT Miller.