2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Of all this rhetoric about the Devils being the third team in the deal......................

How about the Devils actually acquiring Karlsson and save themselves the trouble of taking on Callahan's hideous contract?

Why not just get the great player for a bad contract? Not the bad player for a bad contract.

Another question.............. Why should the Devils be in the business of helping out Tampa Bay, a team which their fan base hates? If Shero isn't getting multiple first round picks back, he should tell those two teams to go fvck themselves.

You don't become the third team to "help" another team. You get something out of it. It's not charity work. Would you rather the Rags be the 3rs team and possibly end up with a 60pt guy like Brayden Point?

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

How about the Devils actually acquiring Karlsson and save themselves the trouble of taking on Callahan's hideous contract?

Why not just get the great player for a bad contract? Not the bad player for a bad contract.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Shero stuck his foot in the door as the 3rd team and then flipped it into a direct trade for Karlsson? Obviously we’d need to do significantly more than just taking on a bad contract, though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Shero stuck his foot in the door as the 3rd team and then flipped it into a direct trade for Karlsson? Obviously we’d need to do significantly more than just taking on a bad contract, though. 

It's so fvcking tricky... here's a few things we know or can assume.... 

- Ottawa doesn't have much leverage here. Karlsson only wants to go to a few teams, Tampa being the top one apparently.

- Tampa has to trade really good assets to GET him... PLUS they'd have to trade good assets in order to get rid of a few contracts to make room for him. But most assets have control on where they can go and they sure don't want to go to Ottawa. So they need another team involved.

- Then well if you trade Karlsson... you want something good coming your way and it has to be perfect but if you gamble too much you'll lose him for nothing

- As of Tampa... they likely want him now... but you got to be thinking... do they really want to lose Point, Johnson, Gourde, Sergachev or one of those guys in order to 1- get karlsson from Ottawa but then throw more assets to another team to pick up Callahan? That's a lot. You'd think that they might think, let's just wait this out and sign him through free agency for free, we'll keep our assets and we'll try to do a single trade to move Callahan. Also well.. you often trade for guys in order to have their rights and all but Tampa has to feel pretty confident that they could sign him say he'd make it to free agency.

- If you're Karlsson and want to join a contender... do you want that team to strip their team in order to get you? Or just sign with them without having players going the other way? and let the GM figure out a way to make room for you.

- If a team wants 8 years of Karlsson or that Karlsson want that they have to get a trade going and not him just signing somewhere after.

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's so fvcking tricky... here's a few things we know or can assume.... 

- Ottawa doesn't have much leverage here. Karlsson only wants to go to a few teams, Tampa being the top one apparently.

- Tampa has to trade really good assets to GET him... PLUS they'd have to trade good assets in order to get rid of a few contracts to make room for him. But most assets have control on where they can go and they sure don't want to go to Ottawa. So they need another team involved

- Then well if you trade Karlsson... you want something good coming your way and it has to be perfect but if you gamble too much you'll lose him for nothing

- As of Tampa... they likely want him now... but you got to be thinking... do they really want to lose Point, Johnson, Gourde, Sergachev or one of those guys in order to 1- get karlsson from Ottawa but then throw more assets to another team to pick up Callahan? That's a lot. You'd think that they might think, let's just wait this out and sign him through free agency for free, we'll keep our assets and we'll try to do a single trade to move Callahan. 

- If you're Karlsson and want to join a contender... do you want that team to strip their team in order to get you? Or just sign with them without having players going the other way? and let the GM figure out a way to make room for you

From all accounts, and as things stand now, Dallas is not trading Heiskanen and Tampa is not trading Point or  Sergachev.  That doesn’t leave much for Ottawa to the point that they’re in the range of the awful return Boston got for Seguin.  And Vegas appears to have lost interest or it would have been done by now,

I wonder more whether it’s worth a roll of the dice for NJ to trade for him without an extension so long as we’re not on the no trade list.  The way things stand now, you could do it with the best prospect being McLeod and best roster player being Bratt.  

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

From all accounts, and as things stand now, Dallas is not trading Heiskanen and Tampa is not trading Point or  Sergachev.  That doesn’t leave much for Ottawa to the point that they’re in the range of the awful return Boston got for Seguin.  And Vegas appears to have lost interest or it would have been done by now,

I wonder more whether it’s worth a roll of the dice for NJ to trade for him without an extension so long as we’re not on the no trade list.  The way things stand now, you could do it with the best prospect being McLeod and best roster player being Bratt.  

I wouldn't do it without an extension for sure.

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So Dallas and Tampa both expect Ottawa to trade Karlsson for a bag of pucks? I mean if you want a generational talent, you have to give up a something, including a 1st round pick, top prospect and a top player. At the moment, I would say there are 5 players of such high calibre, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovi and Karlsson. I would trade a 1st, Point and a good prospect for Karlsson in a heart beat with a 8 year contract.

12 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

So Dallas and Tampa both expect Ottawa to trade Karlsson for a bag of pucks? I mean if you want a generational talent, you have to give up a something, including a 1st round pick, top prospect and a top player. At the moment, I would say there are 5 players of such high calibre, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovi and Karlsson. I would trade a 1st, Point and a good prospect for Karlsson in a heart beat with a 8 year contract.

What is being reported is that Dallas offered a package where the best piece going to Ottawa is Julius Honka. He’s probably a notch above Severson.  

Perhaps Tampa did offer something involving Point or Sergachev and hence all the jumping the gun that a deal was done, but Callahan couldn’t be offloaded as quickly as Tampa hoped.  

Whatever the case, Ottawa is not getting anything close to even value.  It’s pretty close to the situation the Marlins were in with Stanton.

The longer it goes it's the best for Shero. Not all teams have re-signed their RFAs, some will be close to the cap and might have to make some moves. It's not helping that the cap just keep rising that much every year but Shero sure knows how to strike on team having to make room. So we might still get that later once teams are starting to shape up or even during camp. Also many teams may drop of the Karlsson hunt and move on to put their money or assets on other players... while we're still hanging in the back with tons of cap space. Who knows

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

The pressure is all on Ottawa. If they don't make a deal they'll just lose him for nothing. Karlsson has them by the balls and EVERYONE knows it, so they don't have a ton of leverage except to play the few teams Karlsson has agreed to be traded to off each other to try and drive the price up a little.

All indications are that NJ is not one of the teams he has cleared to be traded to--so the whole "watch Shero swoop in" narrative is moot from everything we think we know thus far.

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The pressure is all on Ottawa. If they don't make a deal they'll just lose him for nothing. Karlsson has them by the balls and EVERYONE knows it, so they don't have a ton of leverage except to play the few teams Karlsson has agreed to be traded to off each other to try and drive the price up a little.

All indications are that NJ is not one of the teams he has cleared to be traded to--so the whole "watch Shero swoop in" narrative is moot from everything we think we know thus far.

Ottawa can also wait until the trade deadline and probably get as good a deal from another team that’ll take him as a rental.  Only risk is that he gets hurt.

Would you guys make this trade, and risk losing Karlsson for nothing if he has no interest in re-signing? Because there is no way in hell Karlsson is going to re-sign here immediately. 

Zacha, 2019 first?

Edited by Derlique

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I've been patient and trusting of Ray but this is getting hard to take now. 

I find it interesting that the Karlsson trade is taking so long. I’m hoping it’s Ray holding it up. 

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You shut your whore mouth

Dude is from like 5 minutes from Philly, isn’t he? If he’s thinking about “home”, it’s not Newark. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Would you guys make this trade, and risk losing Karlsson for nothing if he has no interest in re-signing? Because there is no way in hell Karlsson is going to re-sign here immediately. 

Zacha, 2019 first?

Top ten protect the first and I’d do it, unless he says something to the effect that he’ll never re-sign no matter what.  And even then, maybe you do it.  If things don’t look good, he can be traded at the deadline, and possibly recoup more than you gave up to bring him here.

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

You can't force a guy to stay and we don't want to have a Ryane Clowe situation again.

I can live without Maroon, and he in particular is not the issue.  It’s that the team effectively has more cap space than anyone else in the league, and that there were players available that could fit needs the Devils have that would not cost and arm and a leg, but we might have a situation where Ray is just saying a player is only worth x even if paying them more than x doesn’t matter.  Or maybe there’s a giant death blow coming that no one sees.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll decide how upset I am when I see his terms, but STL is where his kid is so I can't fault him. I figured it was coming. He took a while to decide though so I wonder if he wanted to stay in NJ that bad or maybe wanted to bring his kid here.

The guy played 17 games here after a trade. He probably never unpacked his bags. 

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Really wish we re-signed Maroon even if it was a dramatic overpay. Hope Shero has a gameplan for this metric fvckton of cap space we have this year and next; letting it sit is a pretty unbelievable waste of an asset that most teams don’t possess. 

Pretty sure he does have a plan..  

Though part of me just wants him to do nothing (which wouldn't be the worst thing, esp with all the kids still improving)  just to watch most here go insane

• Haha 1