2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

22 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Image result for facepalm gif

Alright boys, have fun discussing this thrilling offseason amongst yourselves. 

I'll be back when there's actual news to discuss, don't let me interrupt your circlejerk here. ;)

Really wish nothing happens to piss you and a few other entitled ones who need/demand updates on shero hourly both here and on the minor league hf boards

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well on the day he signed a $76 million contract, I think we can all agree, he better not have been cheap lol. 

No doubt. I asked him what he tipped but he wasn't sure.  He said he seemed nice, but they were seated at a secluded table that is basically private seating where you are waited on without any words exchanged - they basically serve you without interrupting.  He said it was pretty clear they were talking business, but obviously couldn't understand them.  I asked if there was any champagne, apparently they had rose and another bottle of something obscure.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I refuse to listen to people bitch about this. The tax situation has been this way since time immemorial. It’s nothing new at all. Get over it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the tax situation wasn't on the players radar like it is now?

Plus back in the day players didn't have to pay a chunk of their paycheck to put into Escrow as per the CBA.  After the 2012 lockout, the amount they get back from escrow has gotten even smaller so yeah players are now focusing more and more of where they can scrape as much $ as they can including looking closer at state income tax advantages/disadvantages.

Plus back in the day players didn't have to pay a chunk of their paycheck to put into Escrow as per the CBA.  After the 2012 lockout, the amount they get back from escrow has gotten even smaller so yeah players are now focusing more and more of where they can scrape as much $ as they can including looking closer at state income tax advantages/disadvantages.

Tax situations not on the radar of rich people? Surely you jest lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

The fact that they can't deduct the vast majority of their state and local taxes from their federal taxes might have brought it into the forefront also.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the players have it on their radar more now than before. But the issue I am talking about isn't players complaining about it, its fans complaining that its "unfair". Whether it is or isn't, it has always been there. 

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tax situations not on the radar of rich people? Surely you jest lol.

1000% agree. Even as we speak Kucherov is trying to figure out how he is going to shelter as much of that $9.5m annually as he can. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The fact that they can't deduct the vast majority of their state and local taxes from their federal taxes might have brought it into the forefront also.

I am NOT a tax attorney. How much of the State and Local gets written off?

2 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Can someone post the tax hit for salary scale of nj? If you are bored maybe compare it to the other nhl provinces

Yeah because if anything is a cure for boredom, its tax tables!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I refuse to listen to people bitch about this. The tax situation has been this way since time immemorial. It’s nothing new at all. Get over it and move on.

Who are you referencing when you say people are "bitching" about this?

It's a relevant fact in a players decision if they have that option as a FA. Especially in a salary capped sport.

No one is bitching that I've seen, just discussing it as a fact of life

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

It's a relevant fact in a players decision if they have that option as a FA. Especially in a salary capped sport.

I think the point (my point anyway, though i didn't say anyone was bitching), is that its not a new circumstance. Despite that, the fact that it is "unfair" is being thrown out on this board for the first time this year like its brand new.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

If I read it right it's 10.75% over 5 million. Second only to California now.

That's a new Phil Murphy thing. They were talking about it on the radio the other day. It was one of the compromises on getting the budget passed. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

I understand there was debate on the validity of the twitter pare NHL Confidant.

But........he just tweeted Maroon to St. Louis for 1 year and Shero pretty much killed the Karlsson trade.

And I Quote: " Just to keep my loyal followers in the loop, I have confirmation the deal is dead. Cold feet from Shero sent this into a tail spin. NJD still believe in Zacha, but are completely willing to move Speers. Can conform Zajac submitted 5 team ok trade list"

I’m referencing DF118 clearly bitching about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I understand there was debate on the validity of the twitter pare NHL Confidant.

But........he just tweeted Maroon to St. Louis for 1 year and Shero pretty much killed the Karlsson trade.

And I Quote: " Just to keep my loyal followers in the loop, I have confirmation the deal is dead. Cold feet from Shero sent this into a tail spin. NJD still believe in Zacha, but are completely willing to move Speers. Can conform Zajac submitted 5 team ok trade list"

There's a "debate" to this guy's validity to the same extent there's a "debate" whether Bigfoot is real. 

He claimed to have broken the Nash trade to Boston, actually boasted about it, and someone showed that he was just copying Friedman. 

Just think of it this way.  Not a single one of the reporters who legitimately have inside information in general have been able to figure out a single thing as to what Shero is up to this summer, and they certainly saw none of his really big moves in the past coming, Hall, Vatanen, Palmierei or Johanssen.  All four of those moves came out of the blue.  Hell, even Brian Boyle came as something of a surprise.  Now an anonymous twitter guy somehow has the exact pieces that Shero intends to move in the biggest trade of the summer, including a minor leaguer that is one pretty much no one's radar and knows that Zajac ok'd five teams? 

I give him credit though that he certainly got a few mainstream reporters talking.

EDIT:  By the way, this is an oldie, but a goodie, describing how the fake insider game is played.

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/2/20/2810891/how-to-make-yourself-an-nhl-twitter-insider-the-e-k-l-u-n-d-system

Edited by Daniel
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Jeremy Rutherford tweeted about Maroon on a 1-year deal 6 hours ago, "NHL Confidant" is some of the biggest shlock out there in the hockey Twitter universe, he's one of those guys who's 25% aggregator and 75% just making sh!t up, any anonymous "rumor" account is immediately on a credibility blacklist.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I think its BS because I can't imagine the Devils actively trying to shop Zajac at this point. I mean, I could see him agreeing to waive if they asked him to, who wants to be somewhere you aren't wanted, but I don't think it happened. I mean, you could run Hischier, Zacha, Coleman, Boyle as your centers, I guess. Honestly, if Zacha could go ahead and develop into a solid player, I'd actually like that lineup down the middle. Not that you wouldn't be losing your 3rd line shutdown guy.

I decided this year I am going to try to take it easy on my Zacha hatred. I did the same thing to Larsson, and then suddenly he clicked. I am going to try to get rid of my negativity about Zacha and be optimistic that his day to do the same is coming. 

Talk to me again in January-February. 

Edited by mfitz804