2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

41 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Now an anonymous twitter guy somehow has the exact pieces that Shero intends to move in the biggest trade of the summer, including a minor leaguer that is one pretty much no one's radar and knows that Zajac ok'd five teams?

Clearly he knows a security guard at Prudential Center who also used to work at the Meadowlands. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the players have it on their radar more now than before. But the issue I am talking about isn't players complaining about it, its fans complaining that its "unfair". Whether it is or isn't, it has always been there. 

1000% agree. Even as we speak Kucherov is trying to figure out how he is going to shelter as much of that $9.5m annually as he can. 

I am NOT a tax attorney. How much of the State and Local gets written off?

Yeah because if anything is a cure for boredom, its tax tables!

A few NHL agents in the past few weeks have mentioned that their clients DO look at the tax situations of each state.  I have never seen that being addressed before the last 2-3 years.

Yeah it sort of is unfair.  If a player receives two equal offers from teams but chooses to pick the one with the less tax liability, how is the team that lost out supposed to compete with that fairly?

I also do not get the whole hate about their large salaries.  Yeah he is not going to be on the streets licking the curb soon, but it is their right to squeeze as much $ as they can out of their employer like us working schmucks.  Millionaires and billionaires play tax tricks and store their money in tax havens all the time, why should NHL players be any different?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

$4.9m? Its hardly worth playing!

If a player chooses another team where the contract is the same at face value but his take home pay is $5M, then I really do think you will be singing a different tune.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That's a new Phil Murphy thing. They were talking about it on the radio the other day. It was one of the compromises on getting the budget passed. 

Yup and just in time when Taylor Hall is up for a new contract talks next summer.

Now regarding these twitter Insiderrrrrrss.  I really don't know how any one is taking these seriously except for the pea-brains on FB who believe everything they hear and see.  Yes, we are going to trade a lousy contract in Zajac with an even lousier contract in Ryan just so we can get the latter part of Johnson's prime years.  Sign me up.

So it’s settled then- every UFA will eventually sign with Florida, Tampa, Dallas, or Nashville. The remaining players will refuse to play for their current franchises unless they are all relocated to various points in the Cayman Islands. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Just now, LittleBallofHate said:

I thought his agent's tweet was telling - it was all about his kid: 

Gotta respect that, I remember an interview when he was on the Oilers when he got emotional over the fact his son got to see him score a goal live. Seems like a really good and genuine guy, wish him luck with the Blues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I understand there was debate on the validity of the twitter pare NHL Confidant.

But........he just tweeted Maroon to St. Louis for 1 year and Shero pretty much killed the Karlsson trade.

And I Quote: " Just to keep my loyal followers in the loop, I have confirmation the deal is dead. Cold feet from Shero sent this into a tail spin. NJD still believe in Zacha, but are completely willing to move Speers. Can conform Zajac submitted 5 team ok trade list"

People like that make me wish the Internet didn't exist.

Re the new tax, it’s basically taxing all income above $5 million at 10 % where it was a few percent lower.  So for someone like Hall it means probably $400k less than what he would have made before the increase.

Prior to this year you could deduct most of your state income tax and property tax from your income for federal taxes.  Now it’s only $10k, which means guys who play for the Devils are probably paying more in taxes than they used to.  

Re Maroon, supposedly Ray was interested in signing him, but couldn’t top what St Louis gave him?  Gotta think something big is coming, just have no idea what it is.

Not that this needs posting but I'll post it anyway, just to cross the t & dot the i: 

@TheFourthPeriod   There are some pretty silly reports/rumours out there, so temper your expectations/hopes. For example, Travis Zajac has a full NTC and has not been asked to waive it.

ETA: sorry just read back a few pages & noticed MadDog posted this already so pls ignore.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So it’s settled then- every UFA will eventually sign with Florida, Tampa, Dallas, or Nashville. The remaining players will refuse to play for their current franchises unless they are all relocated to various points in the Cayman Islands. Problem solved.

Yes, use hyperbole and exaggerate my point.  Players and agents are saying this is becoming a bigger and bigger deal but let's just just ignore it and wish it away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Re the new tax, it’s basically taxing all income above $5 million at 10 % where it was a few percent lower.  So for someone like Hall it means probably $400k less than what he would have made before the increase.

Prior to this year you could deduct most of your state income tax and property tax from your income for federal taxes.  Now it’s only $10k, which means guys who play for the Devils are probably paying more in taxes than they used to.  

Re Maroon, supposedly Ray was interested in signing him, but couldn’t top what St Louis gave him?  Gotta think something big is coming, just have no idea what it is.

Well in respect to Maroon wanting to play for his hometown Blues and wanting to be able to spend more time with his son, then Ray really couldn't match what going to St. Louis offered him.

I do feel like Ray will make some sort of trade before the summer is out though, even if it is something smaller along the lines of Brock Nelson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So essentially players making even less money when playing in NJ means zip to the players according to the fortune tellers and financial experts in this group.  Got it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Well in respect to Maroon wanting to play for his hometown Blues and wanting to be able to spend more time with his son, then Ray really couldn't match what going to St. Louis offered him.

I do feel like Ray will make some sort of trade before the summer is out though, even if it is something smaller along the lines of Brock Nelson.

The fact that it took so long, and the Devils were supposedly in the mix, suggests to me that Ray wanted him here and could have kept him by offering him one more year at a inconsequential AAV if the Devils roster wasn’t going to be all that different.  

The complete radio silence has been a bit puzzling, not to mention not seriously being involved in trying to land de Haan, which I can’t imagine has anything to do with him all the sudden being enamored with Mueller.  I think they have their sights set on something more than significant than Brock Nelson, but we’ll see.

Edited by Daniel

Yes, use hyperbole and exaggerate my point.  Players and agents are saying this is becoming a bigger and bigger deal but let's just just ignore it and wish it away.

Well, the players and agents need to suck it up. Taxes blow, but they’re part of life pretty much everywhere. There are like four places with no state income tax and 31 (soon to be 32) franchises. Taxes are the other certainty in life besides death. They can deal with it like the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, the players and agents need to suck it up. Taxes blow, but they’re part of life pretty much everywhere. There are like four places with no state income tax and 31 (soon to be 32) franchises. Taxes are the other certainty in life besides death. They can deal with it like the rest of us.

Not to mention that the California teams seem to have no problem attracting talent.  

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s obvious that Tampa has used Florida’s lack of an income tax to its advantage.  I just don’t think that guys like Taylor Hall are going to squeeze the Devils at contract time because of it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Nothing big enough that he didn't have $1.7m+ to sign Maroon, I wouldn't think.