2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, the players and agents need to suck it up. Taxes blow, but they’re part of life pretty much everywhere. There are like four places with no state income tax and 31 (soon to be 32) franchises. Taxes are the other certainty in life besides death. They can deal with it like the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just like those fleeing NJ because of taxes, they can do the same.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not to mention that the California teams seem to have no problem attracting talent.  

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s obvious that Tampa has used Florida’s lack of an income tax to its advantage.  I just don’t think that guys like Taylor Hall are going to squeeze the Devils at contract time because of it.

No guarantee he wouldn't.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

And just like those fleeing NJ because of taxes, they can do the same.

The difference for say a very rich hedge fund guy, is that there are no rules among all the hedge funds in the country that only a set amount of money can be spent by hedge funds on their employees.  Hedge funds also don’t have rules among themselves where they draft the best talent out of colleges based on who did the worst the previous year and bind those young employees to a particular fund until they’re in their late 20s.

I think you get my drift.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

1 Year, $1.75M

Hurray for an actual end to this saga.

Seems foolish to me, but what do I know?  Not a huge loss for us either way.  30 year old with a potentially bad back who relies on his size to be effective.. rather just let the kids compete for the spot.

33 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Maroon is p stupid for taking that deal--- it's such a risk for him. If he gets hurt, or has a subpar year, he may have potentially left 10+ million on the table. He has made 10.5 million dollars to date. Insane.

Have to imagine there's some sort of "handshake agreement" that if he makes the club they'll offer an extension at the soonest available time (1/1/19?).

Otherwise.. respect for going home to be with your kid, but good lord what a risk.

52 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not to mention that the California teams seem to have no problem attracting talent.  

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s obvious that Tampa has used Florida’s lack of an income tax to its advantage.  I just don’t think that guys like Taylor Hall are going to squeeze the Devils at contract time because of it.

I mean, sure you pay out the ass in taxes to play in California.  But you...well, you get to live in California.

Not to be a debbie-downer, but what to the Devils have to offer to compensate for our awful state tax bracket?  Objectively nice towns to live in, a relatively new arena, minimal travel.. but when you look at what other teams can offer it's not hard to see why we may have a hard time attracting talent via free agency.

Not saying we're Winnipeg bad by any means.

---

And now, on to business:

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, the players and agents need to suck it up. Taxes blow, but they’re part of life pretty much everywhere. There are like four places with no state income tax and 31 (soon to be 32) franchises. Taxes are the other certainty in life besides death. They can deal with it like the rest of us.

I'm debating as to whether it's even worth going at it with the resident salty old man here :P

I get it, us millenials are changing the game as you know it, and you hate it.  It's scary.  Remember back in the good old days when phones only made calls and you found out about trades in the newspaper?

Anyway, I'm sorry I/we apparently triggered you with all my "bitching" about taxes and their implication on the salary cap.  You can just stick with being the NJDevs twitter bot (sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk, naturally) if you want - just ignore stuff you'd rather not talk about.  You don't need to go all "Abe Simpson" on anyone who'd like to discuss things that don't fit your current mood.

xoxo

4 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

Really wish nothing happens to piss you and a few other entitled ones who need/demand updates on shero hourly both here and on the minor league hf boards

Again with the entitlement stuff.  Go ahead and backtrack for my thoughts on people pulling the "yOuR sO eNtItLeD" nonsense when talking about expectations in free agency if you're so inclined.  Or don't, you're entitled to your opinion after all.

And FWIW, HFboards, sadly, blows this place out of the water as far as discussion is concerned.  It's got its crazies, no doubt, but there are some really smart people over there in the Devils subforum.  It's really sad - I used to hate that place and thought this site was the premiere place to talk NJ hockey.  No longer the case since most of the people who actually seemed to know their stuff stopped posting here.  We're left with the.. uh.. "personalities" which are fun in doses.  No real discussion here though, mostly an echo chamber of sorts.

4 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

You just made a post to tell everyone that you weren't going to make a post. 

'member when you actually used to contribute something to this board?  I 'member.  Barely.

What has Florida done to you?  Or at least I think you're the guy in Florida - could be getting you mixed up with another loudmouth here.

Legit though, I miss when you actually used to post thoughts here instead of trying to police the boards with your "wit".

Edited by Devilsfan118
Extra sarcasm

40 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Maroon is p stupid for taking that deal--- it's such a risk for him. If he gets hurt, or has a subpar year, he may have potentially left 10+ million on the table. He has made 10.5 million dollars to date. Insane.

What are you basing that on? I doubt he was made an $11m, 3 or 4 year offer and turned it down for one year with his kid in St. Louis. 

Maybe he wasn’t getting the offers he hoped. 

'member when you actually used to contribute something to this board?  I 'member.  Barely.
What has Florida done to you?  Or at least I think you're the guy in Florida - could be getting you mixed up with another loudmouth here.
Legit though, I miss when you actually used to post thoughts here instead of trying to police the boards with your "wit".

Go ahead and worry about sh!t that the Devils nor the league can control. Be my guest. Devils fans never seem to have a shortage of things to complain about, regardless of pretty much anything. So enjoy. I’m not going to bother worrying about it myself. And I’m 39, so I don’t know where you got the idea that I’m some 97-year old geriatric. I’m old. I’m not grandpa Simpson though. [emoji14]

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hurray for an actual end to this saga.

Seems foolish to me, but what do I know?  Not a huge loss for us either way.  30 year old with a potentially bad back who relies on his size to be effective.. rather just let the kids compete for the spot.

Have to imagine there's some sort of "handshake agreement" that if he makes the club they'll offer an extension at the soonest available time (1/1/19?).

Otherwise.. respect for going home to be with your kid, but good lord what a risk.

I mean, sure you pay out the ass in taxes to play in California.  But you...well, you get to live in California.

Not to be a debbie-downer, but what to the Devils have to offer to compensate for our awful state tax bracket?  Objectively nice towns to live in, a relatively new arena, minimal travel.. but when you look at what other teams can offer it's not hard to see why we may have a hard time attracting talent via free agency.

Not saying we're Winnipeg bad by any means.

---

And now, on to business:

I'm debating as to whether it's even worth going at it with the resident salty old man here :P

I get it, us millenials are changing the game as you know it, and you hate it.  It's scary.  Remember back in the good old days when phones only made phone calls and you found out about trades in the newspaper?

Anyway, I'm sorry I/we apparently triggered you with all my "bitching" about taxes and their implication on the salary cap.  You can just stick with being the NJDevs twitter bot (sent from your iPhone using Tapatalk, naturally) if you want - just ignore stuff you'd rather not talk about.  You don't need to go all "Abe Simpson" on anyone who'd like to discuss things that don't fit your current mood.

xoxo

Again with the entitlement stuff.  Go ahead and backtrack for my thoughts on people pulling the "yOuR sO eNtItLeD" nonsense when talking about expectations in free agency if you're so inclined.  Or don't, you're entitled to your opinion after all.

And FWIW, HFboards, sadly, blows this place out of the water as far as discussion is concerned.  It's got its crazies, no doubt, but there are some really smart people over there in the Devils subforum.  It's really sad - I used to hate that place and thought this site was the premiere place to talk NJ hockey.  No longer the case since most of the people who actually seemed to know their stuff stopped posting here.  We're left with the.. uh.. "personalities" which are fun in doses.  No real discussion here though, mostly an echo chamber of sorts.

After reading this entire post, you are just bitching about nothing and the second half of your post was basically just a personal attack. 

I'm a millennial and holy sh!t.  I didn't know you acted like you were 12 and had the time to write about a whole paragraph attacking another member personally and not attacking his argument.  Ad hominems don't help you make your point.

Not only are you entitled, you're an idiot with "wE'rE gOiNg tO cHaNgE tHiNgS, oLd MaN!"  Get lost.  

P.S.  Abolish taxes, vote libertarian.   

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tons fleeing. I mean, Jersey is just a ghost town. Only what, 9 million people living here? emoji849.png

Wealthy people do leave the state at a healthy rate and there are more people moving out than moving in.  The state also relies too much on wealthy people to pay for everything.  When one guy — David Tepper — leaving for Florida significantly impacts the state’s ability to pay for stuff, something is very wrong.

Still the rules are different for athletes.  

I would also note that it’s not for nothing that many of the Yankees and virtually all members of the Jets and Giants have no problem living in Jersey.  The team ought to do a better job of selling the area as a good place to live you have the money.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Go ahead and worry about sh!t that the Devils nor the league can control. Be my guest. Devils fans never seem to have a shortage of things to complain about, regardless of pretty much anything. So enjoy. I’m not going to bother worrying about it myself. And I’m 39, so I don’t know where you got the idea that I’m some 97-year old geriatric. I’m old. I’m not grandpa Simpson though. emoji14.png

I'm just busting balls, all good.

30 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

After reading this entire post, you are just bitching about nothing and the second half of your post was basically just a personal attack. 

I'm a millennial and holy sh!t.  I didn't know you acted like you were 12 and had the time to write about a whole paragraph attacking another member personally and not attacking his argument.  Ad hominems don't help you make your point.

Not only are you entitled, you're an idiot with "wE'rE gOiNg tO cHaNgE tHiNgS, oLd MaN!"  Get lost.  

P.S.  Abolish taxes, vote libertarian.   

Hey, way to insert yourself into a conversation that didn't involve you and completely miss the tone of the stuff you attempted to interpret!

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t see what his sexual preference has to do with anything. We accept all people here.

(WIt, that’s not Latin for...never mind). 

Excuse me cis scum, it's 2018 get with it.

Real talk - what is a cis scum?

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hey, way to insert yourself into a conversation that didn't involve you and completely miss the tone of the stuff you attempted to interpret!

It's called a message board.  A public message board.  Anyone can sign-up and enter the conversation without fee. 

I apologize if I misread the situation, but sentences like;

"And FWIW, HFboards, sadly, blows this place out of the water as far as discussion is concerned.  It's got its crazies, no doubt, but there are some really smart people over there in the Devils subforum.  It's really sad - I used to hate that place and thought this site was the premiere place to talk NJ hockey.  No longer the case since most of the people who actually seemed to know their stuff stopped posting here.  We're left with the.. uh.. "personalities" which are fun in doses.  No real discussion here though, mostly an echo chamber of sorts."

"
'member when you actually used to contribute something to this board?  I 'member.  Barely."

"Legit though, I miss when you actually used to post thoughts here instead of trying to police the boards with your "wit".

It comes off as you attacking the board and the people here.  Don't blame me for how you present yourself in a online forum.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

It's called a message board.  A public message board.  Anyone can sign-up and enter the conversation without fee. 

I apologize if I misread the situation, but sentences like;

"And FWIW, HFboards, sadly, blows this place out of the water as far as discussion is concerned.  It's got its crazies, no doubt, but there are some really smart people over there in the Devils subforum.  It's really sad - I used to hate that place and thought this site was the premiere place to talk NJ hockey.  No longer the case since most of the people who actually seemed to know their stuff stopped posting here.  We're left with the.. uh.. "personalities" which are fun in doses.  No real discussion here though, mostly an echo chamber of sorts."

"
'member when you actually used to contribute something to this board?  I 'member.  Barely."

"Legit though, I miss when you actually used to post thoughts here instead of trying to police the boards with your "wit".

It comes off as you attacking the board and the people here.  Don't blame me for how you present yourself in a online forum.

He said that??? I got your “personalities”...

41521802530_1d0f5f8439_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hfboards is one step ahead of the nj.com comment section. I don’t know how anyone who posts there frequently can maintain a job because the site a mosh pit of ADHD mixed with people who love hearing themselves talk. There are quality posts, but you have to waste a nose ton of time sifting through the massive sea of sh!t to get to them. 

In addition, too much group think. The moderation is facism and if you disagree with the “in” crew you are made out to be an idiot. 

Njdevs 4 lyfe. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Hfboards is one step ahead of the nj.com comment section. I don’t know how anyone who posts there frequently can maintain a job because the site a mosh pit of ADHD mixed with people who love hearing themselves talk. There are quality posts, but you have to waste a nose ton of time sifting through the massive sea of sh!t to get to them. 

In addition, too much group think. The moderation is facism and if you disagree with the “in” crew you are made out to be an idiot. 

Njdevs 4 lyfe. 

The board that did a poll where Brodeur finished outside the top 5 goalies of all time...yeah, nuff said. 

I can’t even lurk there anymore (the site itself is terrible now), and there’s plenty of very knowledgeable people here. I think DF118 deep down would agree, he’s just a bit pissed off atm. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Whoa buddy, I was joking with someone who I thought I got along with pretty well on here.

I spend a good amount of time putting thought into quite a few of my posts. You can go read through my history, if you’d like. Or don’t, I’m not that worried about it. 

I find myself to be terribly un-witty.

EDIT: haha, I read the rest of your post. Yikes. I recognized your username on reddit; they downvote nearly everything you say into oblivion. So they hate you on Reddit, you hate all of us here, and you also hate HF boards. This seems like one of those cases where a girlfriend says she’s had “seven sh!tty boyfriends”... makes you wonder if she’s just a sh!tty girlfriend?

also, I’m a millennial too; please don’t lump me in with that silly argument you made. Now let me get back to my avocado toast.

he's right though. Stop policing the boards will ya. There can only be one sheriff in town and it's my town :P 

Edited by SterioDesign

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Re the new tax, it’s basically taxing all income above $5 million at 10 % where it was a few percent lower.  So for someone like Hall it means probably $400k less than what he would have made before the increase.

Prior to this year you could deduct most of your state income tax and property tax from your income for federal taxes.  Now it’s only $10k, which means guys who play for the Devils are probably paying more in taxes than they used to.  

Re Maroon, supposedly Ray was interested in signing him, but couldn’t top what St Louis gave him?  Gotta think something big is coming, just have no idea what it is.

Actually they are in all likelihood subject to the alternative minimum tax. I won't bother to explain it, but these guys don't get any deduction for state taxes anyway. The new 10.5% NJ tax rate only applies to people earning over $5 million per year. Taxes are too complicated to discuss here.

• Like 2