2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

Uhh, yikes @ the latest messages in this thread.  So  how bout that Eric Gryba?  I hear he's really gotten into shape, lost 20 lbs of fat, added 50 lbs of pure muscle, watched and mastered every Gretzky hockey video ever, and is poised to become the next Erik Karlsson (negating any need for NJ to be involved in that discussion).  

31 minutes ago, point said:

Actually they are in all likelihood subject to the alternative minimum tax. I won't bother to explain it, but these guys don't get any deduction for state taxes anyway. The new 10.5% NJ tax rate only applies to people earning over $5 million per year. Taxes are too complicated to discuss here.

Ha! I thought about saying tax matters should be run by Point before I decided to play CPA/tax attorney.  But at least I got the 10.5% over $5 million correct.

And I got an A in law school on income tax, but still did not understand the AMT then, and I don’t understand it now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

And I got an A in law school on income tax, but still did not understand the AMT then, and I don’t understand it now.

“Alternate” means your accountant wears an “A” on the upper left of his suit jacket. Pretty sure that’s right. 

Minimum means it’s less. 

Either way it sounds awesome!!

10 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Hfboards is one step ahead of the nj.com comment section. I don’t know how anyone who posts there frequently can maintain a job because the site a mosh pit of ADHD mixed with people who love hearing themselves talk. There are quality posts, but you have to waste a nose ton of time sifting through the massive sea of sh!t to get to them. 

In addition, too much group think. The moderation is facism and if you disagree with the “in” crew you are made out to be an idiot. 

Njdevs 4 lyfe. 

A thousand times this.  I first registered there a LONG time ago, close to 16-17 years or so, and I never posted regularly for most of those exact reasons.  Even back then, the quality and content of posts was a huge mixed bag, with the overwhelming majority being people who were very immature, cared more about what they had to say and being heard rather than engaging in actual intelligent dialogue, the group of rulers that presides over the forum has always been clique-ish and it's hard to feel welcome and a part of any real community or dynamic over there.

I completely disagree with the idea that the quality or substance of the content and posts here is in any way shape or form inferior to the stuff over at HFBoards.  If anything, I think it's the opposite.  Granted it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, because that site is a general hockey site, whereas this site is, for the most part, dedicated to a specific team, but we essentially talk all types of hockey as well, especially in the off-season when there's a lot of league-wide topics to discuss and less so about our individual team.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Whoa buddy, I was joking with someone who I thought I got along with pretty well on here.

I spend a good amount of time putting thought into quite a few of my posts. You can go read through my history, if you’d like. Or don’t, I’m not that worried about it. 

I find myself to be terribly un-witty.

EDIT: haha, I read the rest of your post. Yikes. I recognized your username on reddit; they downvote nearly everything you say into oblivion. So they hate you on Reddit, you hate all of us here, and you also hate HF boards. This seems like one of those cases where a girlfriend says she’s had “seven sh!tty boyfriends”... makes you wonder if she’s just a sh!tty girlfriend?

also, I’m a millennial too; please don’t lump me in with that silly argument you made. Now let me get back to my avocado toast.

The policing schtick is getting old, that was my admittedly long-winded point.  I've generally enjoyed talking with you over the years, for sure.

I mean besides the fact that what you said isn't generally true on /r/hockey, I have no problems not getting along with the facebook-tier posters in /r/devils.  I have nooo problem going against the groupthink there - downvotes be damned.

And I said I like HFboards, not hate it.  Not the main board (read: second Leafs board), but the Devils sub-forum.

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Woah I actually stepped away for a bit and I came back to some interesting stuff going on. Thank god Devilsfan118 didn't leave when he said he was going to, we would have missed out on some prime off season entertainment. 

Image result for al pacino just when i thought i was out gif

11 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Hfboards is one step ahead of the nj.com comment section. I don’t know how anyone who posts there frequently can maintain a job because the site a mosh pit of ADHD mixed with people who love hearing themselves talk. There are quality posts, but you have to waste a nose ton of time sifting through the massive sea of sh!t to get to them. 

In addition, too much group think. The moderation is facism and if you disagree with the “in” crew you are made out to be an idiot. 

Njdevs 4 lyfe. 

See that's what I used to think too.  The main board is still at that point at times.  Especially with 'Leafs Nation' bombarding every thread over the past week since JT signed.

But the Devils sub-forum has a ton of long-time season ticket holders and hockey nerds.  You have to sift through the crap but there's generally speaking a pretty good discussion to be had if you look in the right places.  I don't at all agree that it's on the same tier as facebook/nj.com/reddit.

The mod team in the main board is obnoxious though, no doubt there.  

9 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Uhh, yikes @ the latest messages in this thread.  So  how bout that Eric Gryba?  I hear he's really gotten into shape, lost 20 lbs of fat, added 50 lbs of pure muscle, watched and mastered every Gretzky hockey video ever, and is poised to become the next Erik Karlsson (negating any need for NJ to be involved in that discussion).  

Boredom is a hell of a drug.

Edited by Devilsfan118

19 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

NO sorry, should have been more clear- I was talking about the twitter account you linked, which is clearly some guy who has no insider knowledge whatsoever, he just wants attention and clicks.

Lol, ok. Yes, his Twitter is like if he makes a million guesses, he'll eventually might get close to a deal

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Njdevs 4 lyfe. 

Actually this is a thing here too and almost anywhere but people only notice it when they're not in the "in" crew. It's an echochamber really and confirmation bias tells you that you're right since everyone is saying the same and people with different ideas are "clearly" wrong. 

forgot the username just look at buddy who posts stats after every game.  He's quite harmless but made out to be an idiot every time. And that's just one example

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually this is a thing here too and almost anywhere but people only notice it when they're not in the "in" crew. It's an echochamber really and confirmation bias tells you that you're right since everyone is saying the same and people with different ideas are "clearly" wrong. 

forgot the username just look at buddy who posts stats after every game.  He's quite harmless but made out to be an idiot every time. And that's just one example

The difference in your example, is that the people who make jokes at that guy's expense (Mike Brown is who you're referring to I believe) are not people who run the forum, but rather just regular members.  At HFBoards, there are definitely regular members who take part in general harassment and debauchery, but there's also a band of people who actual have control over the site/forums itself that do it as well.  

When someone gets made fun of here like in your example, it's just an opinion.  In the case of MB, it seems to be a popular opinion, but it's still an opinion none the less.  At HFBoards however, it's essentially made into law, because of the people involved.  I could be wrong, but I don't see DevilMinder, msweet, or any of the other Admins here taking part in any of that.  Hell, for the longest time I didn't even know who the Admins here were, because I hardly ever saw them post.  I still couldn't tell you who any of the Mods are, or if we even have any.  They seem non-existent, in a good way.  I've been a member are other forums were staff members abused their power similar to HFBoards, and it's just annoying and silly.  This place, essentially running and policing itself, is refreshing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

If you’re talking about Mike Brown; you’re missing a bunch of his “I am so much smarter than the coach, and if you don’t agree with the stat I just posted it’s bexause I’m smarter than you are and you don’t know how to interpret these numbers” posts. I’m not sure we have an “in” crew here.

Believe it or not, I think Mike Brown takes most of what's thrown at him in a good natured manner. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The difference in your example, is that the people who make jokes at that guy's expense (Mike Brown is who you're referring to I believe) are not people who run the forum, but rather just regular members.  At HFBoards, there are definitely regular members who take part in general harassment and debauchery, but there's also a band of people who actual have control over the site/forums itself that do it as well.  

When someone gets made fun of here like in your example, it's just an opinion.  In the case of MB, it seems to be a popular opinion, but it's still an opinion none the less.  At HFBoards however, it's essentially made into law, because of the people involved.  I could be wrong, but I don't see DevilMinder, msweet, or any of the other Admins here taking part in any of that.  Hell, for the longest time I didn't even know who the Admins here were, because I hardly ever saw them post.  I still couldn't tell you who any of the Mods are, or if we even have any.  They seem non-existent, in a good way.  I've been a member are other forums were staff members abused their power similar to HFBoards, and it's just annoying and silly.  This place, essentially running and policing itself, is refreshing.

Oh don't get me wrong HF is horrible and NJDevs is amazing. I was banned for posting a Kovalchuk meme to mock Jets fans on HF

As for my example it wasn't the best one but i simply don't want to bring my best example and open a can of worms, its unecessary. But there's indeed posters with privileges here over others. I just know things you don't i guess. This place is obviously amazing and im just saying there"s "in crew" everywhere, it's just hard to see in some case, its certainly not a knock on NJDevs

Edited by SterioDesign

@JulieRobenhymer  Shero meeting with the media at #NJDevCamp Said he offered Maroon more money/term than he got in STL, but admires him for the reason behind his decision to go there and be closer to his son.

Shero on staff/management departures: If other teams want what you have, you know you’re doing something right. Part of building a winning organization is also grooming people & putting them in a position to move up and move on to different roles. We’re happy for them. #NJDevils

Shero: We’re really proud of what we did last year, but we had 97 points & made the playoffs by one point. We know we can’t stand still. It’s about making progress & we’re focused on doing that & sticking to the plan & give the guys in our system a chance to earn a spot #NJDevils

• Like 3

@JulieRobenhymer  Shero meeting with the media at #NJDevCamp Said he offered Maroon more money/term than he got in STL, but admires him for the reason behind his decision to go there and be closer to his son.
Shero on staff/management departures: If other teams want what you have, you know you’re doing something right. Part of building a winning organization is also grooming people & putting them in a position to move up and move on to different roles. We’re happy for them. #NJDevils
Shero: We’re really proud of what we did last year, but we had 97 points & made the playoffs by one point. We know we can’t stand still. It’s about making progress & we’re focused on doing that & sticking to the plan & give the guys in our system a chance to earn a spot #NJDevils

RAY LIVES!!!!! [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I personally don't think that less term was the best idea career wise, but credit the guy for prioritizing his kid. Good luck to him. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Oh don't get me wrong HF is horrible and NJDevs is amazing. I was banned for posting a Kovalchuk meme to mock Jets fans on HF

As for my example it wasn't the best one but i simply don't want to bring my best example and open a can of worms, its unecessary. But there's indeed posters with privileges here over others. I just know things you don't i guess. This place is obviously amazing and im just saying there"s "in crew" everywhere, it's just hard to see in some case, its certainly not a knock on NJDevs

Gotcha, well if there are indeed "in" circles here (and there very well may be), then I really don't know about it, and it's just a further testament to this place/people and the fact that it's able to operate without much interference.  

My biggest problem with HF is the moderation. I really only go over there for the season ticket holder discussions, simply because we don't seem to have a ton of them on here and they also talk more about upgrades of the surrounding area of the arena. 

When I post I want to see Kovy have a season ending injury and see Santini smash him through the glass into the 10th row and that gets edited cause it's "wishing harm on someone" then yeah your moderation is a bit ridiculous. Now I really hope it happens so I can talk about it over there lol 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

My biggest problem with HF is the moderation. I really only go over there for the season ticket holder discussions, simply because we don't seem to have a ton of them on here and they also talk more about upgrades of the surrounding area of the arena. 
When I post I want to see Santini injury Kovy and smash him through the glass into the 10th row and that gets edited cause "wishing harm on someone" then yeah your moderation is a bit ridiculous. Now I really hope it happens so I can talk about it over there lol 

The moderation over there is why I never signed up. If I can’t speak my mind, fvck that. There are a bunch of tools over there I’d be all over regularly (one of which being that Devils Dominion dipsh!t who thinks he’s he should be running the team, and constantly second guesses every player we draft and every move we make), but I’d get banned immediately by the gestapo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never really read HF boards - don't like the look of them / too many Ads. I do read AATJ (all about the jersey / used to be in lou we trust), including the comments - but only post here - lucky you! :lol:

ETA: I think I read this board for 10 years before I started posting though... 

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1