2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

@cmasisak22 

#NJDevils Ray Shero also said they talked to JVR’s camp. Didn’t get in on Calvin de Haan. Said they haven’t been active on July 1 since he’s been here, will continue to look for ways to improve if they come up.

Ray Shero said they are still working on replacements for Geoff Ward and Ryan Clowe. Could happen as soon as next week. Said what they’re looking for is different b/c John Hynes + Alain Nasreddine have grown/improved/etc as NHL coaches.

• Like 2

Just a stupid random question mid-summer for discussion sake: if Ottawa said we'll trade you EK (no extension so he might not re-sign) for Taylor Hall... would you do it?  Obviously Ottawa wouldn't do it (even though he spent his formative years there, he also might not re-sign) since they're doing a burn it down rebuild but just for sh!ts & grins - would you do it? 

Image result for coffee talk meme

5 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Just a stupid random question mid-summer for discussion sake: if Ottawa said we'll trade you EK (no extension so he might not re-sign) for Taylor Hall... would you do it?  Obviously Ottawa wouldn't do it (even though he spent his formative years there, he also might not re-sign) since they're doing a burn it down rebuild but just for sh!ts & grins - would you do it? 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

No. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I've heard a lot of people say Karlsson is top 5/top 10 in the League. Where would you put Hall?  (FWIW, no way I would do that trade either.) 

Well, considering Hall’s the reigning MVP I think he’s put himself into that top 10 tier. And judging from his comments he plans to stay there. 

61593386.jpg&key=cac51b591bc79530f0e9c386bb81763db1d6921159274443288dcba222c08018

22b2757133e23aa42e146a6101c4a52a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other thing about Karlsson is that there are worries about his foot and/or his ankle.  It doesn’t worry me enough not to try and trade for him and sign him to a big extension, but it’s just another reason why you wouldn’t trade someone like Hall for him.  

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall for is very short, it's something like: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and that's kind of it. Then there's players where I think it would be a fair swap, like Matthews or Kucherov, but I wouldn't be trading Hall for a fair swap, we already have arguably the best LW in the National Hockey League.

• Like 8

To be honest, I think the idea of trading Hall for Karlsson is ridiculous.  How can you even remotely consider it, with Karlsson not being signed and only having one year left?  It makes zero sense, and anyone who would do that deal shouldn't be anywhere near a GM's desk.  Now, if you want to discuss it under the assumption that he does re-sign a long-term deal, then that's different, but even with that in mind, I still don't do it, not after what Hall did for us last season. Prior to last year, it probably makes sense and is as fair as a trade gets 1-for-1, but after last year's performance, no way.  Not a knock on Karlsson, because he still had a pretty good season (though his goal number was down a bit), but Hall really elevated his game last year, and he single-handedly carried our team.  As others mentioned, without Hall, we are a bottom feeder in the league.  Ottawa WAS/is a bottom feeder in the league, even WITH Karlsson.  It's not the same, and I wouldn't even consider trading them 1-for-1 now.  

18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall for is very short, it's something like: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and that's kind of it. Then there's players where I think it would be a fair swap, like Matthews or Kucherov, but I wouldn't be trading Hall for a fair swap, we already have arguably the best LW in the National Hockey League.

I'll take a 26 year old Taylor Hall to a 30/31 year old Crosby/Malkin. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll take a 26 year old Taylor Hall to a 30/31 year old Crosby/Malkin. 

I can agree with that sentiment, really though I view McDavid-Crosby-Malkin as the best 3 centers in the NHL, so the only way I'd trade Hall is for a top 3 center is basically all I'm saying. Sid is about 5 years older, but I will say he is an entirely different animal, he can take even the biggest scrubs and turn them into 50-60 point producers on his line. See: Armstrong, Colby; Sheary, Conor; Kunitz, Chris

Edited by CommonDreads

18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I can agree with that sentiment, really though I view McDavid-Crosby-Malkin as the best 3 centers in the NHL, so the only way I'd trade Hall is for a top 3 center is basically all I'm saying. Sid is about 5 years older, but I will say he is an entirely different animal, he can take even the biggest scrubs and turn them into 50-60 point producers on his line. See: Armstrong, Colby; Sheary, Conor; Kunitz, Chris

I understand. No doubt they might have different/more skill sets. Age is a factor but also my perception of Malking/Crosby is that they are both quiet and void of personality. McDavid comes off as just being salty he is going into year 3 and still hasn't won a cup. Taylor Hall appears to be a natural leader on and off the ice, says the right things, etc. I like him more. Homer bias lol.

Taylor Hall seems to love being a Devil and he's basically the second coming of prime Patrik Elias both on and off the ice.  You don't move that for anything close to even value so basically we're back to that very short list of superstars mentioned by a few others which is unrealistic anyway.    

53 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Taylor Hall seems to love being a Devil and he's basically the second coming of prime Patrik Elias both on and off the ice.  You don't move that for anything close to even value so basically we're back to that very short list of superstars mentioned by a few others which is unrealistic anyway.    

i don't feel comparing Hall to Elias is really fair to Elias who had way more defensive responsibilities than Hall. We all know Pat would have had WAY more points if he was not focused on the defensive side of the game so much.

Not a knock on Hall either but you know.. 

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

It is kind of funny that I thought of the possibility of Toronto coming to Shero and offering Matthews for Hall if Matthews proves to be difficult in contract negotiations.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't feel comparing Hall to Elias is really fair to Elias who had way more defensive responsibilities than Hall. We all know Pat would have had WAY more points if he was not focused on the defensive side of the game so much.

Not a knock on Hall either but you know.. 

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It is kind of funny that I thought of the possibility of Toronto coming to Shero and offering Matthews for Hall if Matthews proves to be difficult in contract negotiations.

This might be totally unfair and just my perception but at this point in his career, I would be worried that Matthews is going to be one of those guys who is always nicked up in some way.     

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

Well Gionta had his best season when season missed half of the season actually, but it's still true that he made everyone around him better