2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's not a chance in hell I'd trade Hall for Karlsson but if we actually did who the hell is scoring points for us then? The offense would be scary bad.

Exactly. Our 52 point rookie center would have been no better than a 30 point center. Would have been BAD. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

What was Parise’s major flaw?

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What was Parise’s major flaw?

It wasn't meant to be a shot at Parise, I just never considered his offensive game nearly as dynamic or well rounded as the other two.   Also, he was no where near as clutch IMO.   I always felt like he played every shift during the season like it was a playoff, so he didn't have that other level once the playoffs started.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not going over so well with isles fans here on li (his real story).... "pajama boy" jerseys are being burned left and right.

Yes, that's really his nickname around here

Edited by bobilly45
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It wasn't meant to be a shot at Parise, I just never considered his offensive game nearly as dynamic or well rounded as the other two.   Also, he was also no where near as clutch IMO.   I always felt like he played every shift during the season like it was a playoff, so he didn't have that other level once the playoffs started.   

Well i dunno... he scored a very very clutch goal for the USA once. 

Turns out it was only a great setup for Crosby's golden goal... but hey. It was still clutch

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It wasn't meant to be a shot at Parise, I just never considered his offensive game nearly as dynamic or well rounded as the other two.   Also, he was also no where near as clutch IMO.   I always felt like he played every shift during the season like it was a playoff, so he didn't have that other level once the playoffs started.   

Perfectly stated in both your posts

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I understand. No doubt they might have different/more skill sets. Age is a factor but also my perception of Malking/Crosby is that they are both quiet and void of personality. McDavid comes off as just being salty he is going into year 3 and still hasn't won a cup. Taylor Hall appears to be a natural leader on and off the ice, says the right things, etc. I like him more. Homer bias lol.

EDM did not seem to realize his leadership potential.  What a dumpster fire!

23 hours ago, bobilly45 said:

Its not going over so well with isles fans here on li (his real story).... "pajama boy" jerseys are being burned left and right.

Yes, that's really his nickname around here

They had an opportunity to trade him, and he said no... then he left... they're not happy campers

So about that three year extension.... It’s for $21 million lmfao. https://deadspin.com/the-golden-knights-are-paying-marc-andre-fleury-how-muc-1827579372 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.  He had a good year.  I'd give him the extra million per year too. 

And his playoffs performance was great. He didn't choke/screw up until the Finals. Big part of why the Knights made it. I can't even remember who their backup was unless Dansk was still there or was hurt.

• Like 2

Three year deal doesn’t kill you and I think his positive attitude about coming over from Pittsburgh and embracing the opportunity to lead an expansion team was probably a big reason why they were able to do what they did this year.  That and his on ice play was stellar.  

With as much cap space as that team has, I don’t see any reason not to lock up the face of the franchise.   If you’re looking longterm, he’s also the kind of guy that after retirement  I would think you would want to try and keep in the fold as an ambassador of the Knights 

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Three year deal doesn’t kill you and I think his positive attitude about coming over from Pittsburgh and embracing the opportunity to lead an expansion team was probably a big reason why they were able to do what they did this year.  That and his on ice play was stellar.  

With as much cap space as that team has, I don’t see any reason not to lock up the face of the franchise.   If you’re looking longterm, he’s also the kind of guy that after retirement  I would think you would want to try and keep in the fold as an ambassador of the Knights 

Right on both points. If it was $6m or $7m per, makes no difference to the team. Might as well reward the guy, he was and integral part of a team that nearly made history. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Right on both points. If it was $6m or $7m per, makes no difference to the team. Might as well reward the guy, he was and integral part of a team that nearly made history. 

51 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I don't think it's a horrible either "shrugs"

It is absolutely a horrible contract. Fleury's deal kicks in when he is 35 and it runs through his 37 year old season. For a goalie who has been largely inconsistent, and relies on athleticism, paying a goalie 7 million aav in his mid-late 30s does not seem like a good gamble.

2 hours ago, Derlique said:

It is absolutely a horrible contract. Fleury's deal kicks in when he is 35 and it runs through his 37 year old season. For a goalie who has been largely inconsistent, and relies on athleticism, paying a goalie 7 million aav in his mid-late 30s does not seem like a good gamble.

Cool we disagree, great. How about that?

3 hours ago, Derlique said:

It doesn’t make a difference.  He could literally turn into the worst goalie in the league this year, and it won’t stop Vegas from doing anything else they plausibly might be in a position to do.  And by that, I mean they could trade for Karlsson and Ryan, give Karlsson $12 million a year for 8 years, and they’ll still have something like $12million in cap space going forward.  

People have to stop thinking of the NHL like a fantasy league where every player is available but only for a price.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It doesn’t make a difference.  He could literally turn into the worst goalie in the league this year, and it won’t stop Vegas from doing anything else they plausibly might be in a position to do.  And by that, I mean they could trade for Karlsson and Ryan, give Karlsson $12 million a year for 8 years, and they’ll still have something like $12million in cap space going forward.  

People have to stop thinking of the NHL like a fantasy league where every player is available but only for a price.

Yup.