2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't do that trade.  I think Palmieri has developed into one of the heart guys / leaders here - I love having him on this team.

I'd be more inclined to do McLeod + 1st + _______ but I don't think that's even close to getting it done.

You’re crazy! :P

I like Palms a lot, but the idea of having Hall, Nico, and Panarin on the same team would be too good to pass up. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You’re crazy! :P

I like Palms a lot, but the idea of having Hall, Nico, and Panarin on the same team would be too good to pass up. 

I think my random outburst last week confirms that.

And true enough, that is one crazy trio.

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Would you give Palmieri and Bratt for Panarin. You're giving up a top-6 RW and a probable top 6 player. I think I would, but that is probably the return CBJ is looking for.

I would do it, but I would certainly not think I stole him at that price. 

Assuming the extension, of course. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I would do it, but I would certainly not think I stole him at that price. 

Assuming the extension, of course. 

Yeah, I think that's a fairish deal. Bratt has 6(?) more years of cost control, and Palmieri is a good bet for 50 points, 25-30 goals.

1 hour ago, Derlique said:

Yeah, I think that's a fairish deal. Bratt has 6(?) more years of cost control, and Palmieri is a good bet for 50 points, 25-30 goals.

Looking at it rationally, you have to pull the trigger on that deal.  I don’t love the idea of trading Palmieri for sentimental reasons.

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Looking at it rationally, you have to pull the trigger on that deal.  I don’t love the idea of trading Palmieri for sentimental reasons.

Agree with the above completely.  The Devils are getting the best player in this deal, with what should be a nice chunk of productive seasons left.  Most on here know how much I like Palms, but I can't see him ever matching Panarin's overall production.  And Bratt is far from a sure thing, but like you say, he's cost-controlled for quite some time.

BUT, I only do this if Panarin is re-signed to an extension. 

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Columbus would never trade Panarin in the division. Yes, I know in-division trades happen- but not for that type of player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 way trade with a team in the west. Anaheim and NJ have a good relationship historically. We can totally work together and fvck Columbus over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I get that in negotiations, you don't start at the actual number you are willing to pay, but filing at 4M for Trouba seems abnormally low and seems like a great way to really piss the player off, doesn't it?  If this goes to a hearing, are they really going to go up there and make a bunch of 4M comparisons for Trouba?            

Edited by Lateralous

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I get that in negotiations, you don't start at the actual number you are willing to pay, but filing at 4M for Trouba seems abnormally low and a great way to really piss the player off, doesn't it?  If this goes to a hearing, are they really going to go up there and make a bunch of 4M comparisons for Trouba?            

I guess the Jets' position will be based greatly on the fact he's only played more than 65 games in a season once in his career. 

54 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I get that in negotiations, you don't start at the actual number you are willing to pay, but filing at 4M for Trouba seems abnormally low and seems like a great way to really piss the player off, doesn't it?  If this goes to a hearing, are they really going to go up there and make a bunch of 4M comparisons for Trouba?            

I mean, 4-4.5 is basically the going rate for early 20's defensemen when they sign their second deals (and those deals cover the age Trouba is currently at), so it's not an unreasonable stance. But obviously 4 is just set to anchor the midpoint, which the arbitrator almost always comes down at.

6 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I mean, 4-4.5 is basically the going rate for early 20's defensemen when they sign their second deals (and those deals cover the age Trouba is currently at), so it's not an unreasonable stance. But obviously 4 is just set to anchor the midpoint, which the arbitrator almost always comes down at.

I mean, he's obviously a much better defeneman than Severson, so it is a bit of slap in the face.  I also wonder if at these hearings the team can be forced to answer what kind of trade demands they were making or what trade offers they received as a gauge of value. 

17 hours ago, njbuff said:

Two things........

1.The Blue Jackets would be fools to trade him to NJ.

2. Do the Devils think Santini is ready for an expanded role just to trade away a RD like Severson?

I think Severson's stock was overly inflated by a good, unexpected rookie season.   However, I can't put all of our defensive eggs in the "Severson basket" and therefore, I would be willing to ship off Severson - find a stopgap solution in the interim - if it meant being able to land Panarin. 

I am more than happy with Santini. 

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

Would you give Palmieri and Bratt for Panarin. You're giving up a top-6 RW and a probable top 6 player. I think I would, but that is probably the return CBJ is looking for.

Yes.  I would do that.  But, I would want a 2nd rounder in return to come with Panarin. 

Keep in mind, Panarin was traded for Saad straight up.  I know the Blackhawks had to dump salary and that's why they got rid of Panarin, but look at it this way, would you trade Palmieri and Bratt for Saad? 

Palmieri is the kind of player Torts wants.  His salary hit is much more advantageous than Panarin's future contract.  It may be worth it for them, especially since the player doesn't want to re-sign there.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

No, $7 million for Trouba is overpayment. He’s probably worth 5-5.5.

I'd have to disagree with that, Trouba I'd say is at least a very solid #2 on most teams. I'd say my ideal number for him would be $6.5M but I wouldn't blink an eye if the number was $7M

Trouba.png

TroubaVsDoughty.png

I'd have to disagree with that, Trouba I'd say is at least a very solid #2 on most teams. I'd say my ideal number for him would be $6.5M but I wouldn't blink an eye if the number was $7M
Trouba.png.e337e9d050825f7e8f5b83bbdb34ab10.png
TroubaVsDoughty.thumb.png.d8870ffa0640a8149ed6f4fba2b19d42.png

I’d probably do 6, but 7 is pushing it IMO. I think Trouba knows this, and it might be that he just doesn’t wanna play in Winnipeg.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d probably do 6, but 7 is pushing it IMO. I think Trouba knows this, and it might be that he just doesn’t wanna play in Winnipeg.

Also, if you want $6m, you don't ask for $6m. Asking for $7m implies he thinks he's worth less, IMHO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

We have a fvckton of money. I'd give Trouba 7 in a heartbeat. He's an immediate first-pairing guy for us. 

He's an RFA though. What's the compensation package look like for an offer sheet to an RFA in that price range? 

EDIT: First, Second, and Third round pick. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, if you want $6m, you don't ask for $6m. Asking for $7m implies he thinks he's worth less, IMHO.

I was going to say exactly this.  A wise man once told me, "you don't ask, you don't get". You ask for 7M assuming they will negotiate and meet you in the middle, at the 6M that you want/expect.

• Like 1