Jump to content

2018 UFA Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I haven't seen the details of the expungement and I'm no expert, but I have to imagine the judge saw that husband and wife are still together and that not expunging the record would bring heavy financial injury to the wife as well as the husband. Additionally, the wife is speaking in defense of the husband.

So now the question is, as you imply, does a team bite? 

I think he needed the expungement so he could be admitted into Canada.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

I like to tell people I’m an architect, Art Vandeley.

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Jacob MacDonald (Binghampton) has signed with the Florida organization - it's a bummer - he had a great season last year in the Bing :  https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-agree-to-terms-with-forward-paul-thompson-and-defenseman-jacob-macdonald/c-299371888

ETA: since I'm posting about ex-Devil minor leaguers: 

Devils Insiders Retweeted

Andrew Gross‏Verified account @AGrossNewsdayMore

#Isles have also signed F Matt Lorito, 27, to a two-year deal with a cap hit of $675,000. He's played 2 NHL games for Red Wings. Last season with Grand Rapids (AHL) 23 goals, 26 assists in 59 games. Has also played in Devils' system.

MacDonald is 25 years old...kind of reminds me of when Suglobov scored 38 goals in 71 AHL games in 2005-06 (including the playoffs) as a 24-year-old...probably not a star in the making here, or a guy we'll be lamenting that "got away".  Doesn't seem like Shero was all that impressed either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think he needed the expungement so he could be admitted into Canada.

Right, if the record wasn't expunged, he couldn't play in the NHL, and thus, would incur financial injury. I suppose there's an argument that he could play in Russia, but I'm not sure the judge would go that deep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I haven't seen the details of the expungement and I'm no expert, but I have to imagine the judge saw that husband and wife are still together and that not expunging the record would bring heavy financial injury to the wife as well as the husband. Additionally, the wife is speaking in defense of the husband.

So now the question is, as you imply, does a team bite? 

I'd definitely cause as much of a sh!t storm as possible online if he got signed to the Devils. I'm sure someone will give him a shot though, it really all depends on the fan base and how much they either know or care about this situation.

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look and I hope nobody signs him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd definitely cause as much of a sh!t storm as possible online if he got signed to the Devils. I'm sure someone will give him a shot though, it really all depends on the fan base and how much they either know or care about this situation.

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look and I hope nobody signs him. 

He's too good to have no one want him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd definitely cause as much of a sh!t storm as possible online if he got signed to the Devils. I'm sure someone will give him a shot though, it really all depends on the fan base and how much they either know or care about this situation.

I know their is a lot of phony outrage about tons of different topics these days but I really don't think the NHL letting this guy just back into the league is good for anyone. It's a poor look. 

Funny enough, we could use him. Luckily, I think Ray is putting together a group of men with tremendous character (whether there is utility to that or not). As Lou would say, "You have to cultivate the culture above the individual." Voynov's presence might be toxic to the team culture. But that's pretty loose conjecture on my part as to how things would play out. 

The Flyers might sign him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He's too good to have no one want him. 

Sadly I agree, really depends on how the customers react. I also don't think that the average fan even knows what he did. 

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Funny enough, we could use him. Luckily, I think Ray is putting together a group of men with tremendous character (whether there is utility to that or not). As Lou would say, "You have to cultivate the culture above the individual." Voynov's presence might be toxic to the team culture. But that's pretty loose conjecture on my part as to how things would play out. 

The Flyers might sign him.

The Devils also having some ownership in the women's team would make this an even poorer look so I really don't see him coming here. Plus like you said Ray wants good characters in the room. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sadly I agree, really depends on how the customers react. I also don't think that the average fan even knows what he did. 

Again, I think he's someone Flyers fans will be able to relate to. Heck, some of them probably met him in prison.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of the concept of holding a crime like this over a guy's head for the rest of his life. It has no bearing on his ability to play hockey and the guy should be able to make a living doing so. 

On the flip side, when you read the details of the story, it really seems like the guy is a piece of sh!t. it seems to be a much deeper offense than "I got drunk and slapped my wife", which grated nobody should do either, but maybe its more acceptable for him to play again if it was something of that nature. 

In any event, if he does come back in a bigger market, it will be all over the press and I am not sure that's the kind of distraction we need. 

1 minute ago, CarterforPresident said:

Kings still hold his rights. He plays for them unless he's traded. 

Are you sure about that? I thought they terminated his contract. Can you do that AND still hold rights?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MacDonald is 25 years old...kind of reminds me of when Suglobov scored 38 goals in 71 AHL games in 2005-06 (including the playoffs) as a 24-year-old...probably not a star in the making here, or a guy we'll be lamenting that "got away".  Doesn't seem like Shero was all that impressed either. 

I guess it was MacDonald's decision - Fitzy tried / no loyalty :koolaid: 

@ChrisRyan_NJ

The Devils talked to him about an NHL deal. Since he was on an AHL deal last year, he was a UFA. He had the right to explore his options. Florida presents a clearer path to the NHL

@JulieRobenhymer

Fitzgerald offered MacDonald a two-way contract extension in December. He politely declined knowing he’d become a UFA and might get more (term, money, opportunity, all of the above...?) on the open market. #NJDevils still heavily pursued signing him. He chose Florida/Springfield.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I am not a fan of the concept of holding a crime like this over a guy's head for the rest of his life. It has no bearing on his ability to play hockey and the guy should be able to make a living doing so. 

On the flip side, when you read the details of the story, it really seems like the guy is a piece of sh!t. it seems to be a much deeper offense than "I got drunk and slapped my wife", which grated nobody should do either, but maybe its more acceptable for him to play again if it was something of that nature. 

In any event, if he does come back in a bigger market, it will be all over the press and I am not sure that's the kind of distraction we need. 

Are you sure about that? I thought they terminated his contract. Can you do that AND still hold rights?

They hold his his rights until the end of this upcoming season. Kind of like Kovy. They put him on voluntary retirement. And the LAKings have the worst winger situation in the league. They will need to trade pieces,  maybe Voynov as well to acquire what they need. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LittleBallofHate said:

I guess it was MacDonald's decision - Fitzy tried / no loyalty :koolaid: 

@ChrisRyan_NJ

The Devils talked to him about an NHL deal. Since he was on an AHL deal last year, he was a UFA. He had the right to explore his options. Florida presents a clearer path to the NHL

@JulieRobenhymer

Fitzgerald offered MacDonald a two-way contract extension in December. He politely declined knowing he’d become a UFA and might get more (term, money, opportunity, all of the above...?) on the open market. #NJDevils still heavily pursued signing him. He chose Florida/Springfield.

Guess the guy felt like he had more of a shot with the Panthers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess the guy felt like he had more of a shot with the Panthers. 

It's actually a little bizarre to me, it's not like the Devils are overflowing with NHL-ready LHD or D in general. I wonder if Florida made a strong commitment to putting him on the opening day roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really buy the, "he's an offensive d-man and the Devils have PP QBs argument either." No matter who you spin it, McDonald would have real good shot at playing time on the Devils in 2018-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

They hold his his rights until the end of this upcoming season. Kind of like Kovy. They put him on voluntary retirement. And the LAKings have the worst winger situation in the league. They will need to trade pieces,  maybe Voynov as well to acquire what they need. 

I thought they terminated his deal, I didn't realize it was a "retirement". Looking at some articles, I see they were ready to, but then didn't have to because Voynov left. 

In any event, it seems unlikely that they would bring him back, so I guess it'd be a situation where he has to be traded. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mfitz804 said:

I thought they terminated his deal, I didn't realize it was a "retirement". Looking at some articles, I see they were ready to, but then didn't have to because Voynov left. 

In any event, it seems unlikely that they would bring him back, so I guess it'd be a situation where he has to be traded. 

If he is allowed back into the NHL, I suspect a package with Martinez/Muzzin and/or picks for a top winger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't really buy the, "he's an offensive d-man and the Devils have PP QBs argument either." No matter who you spin it, McDonald would have real good shot at playing time on the Devils in 2018-19.

No, he wouldn't.  There's 4 lefties ahead of him on the depth chart right now.  Your 5th D on one side usually gets in a few games, but it's not hard to look at Will Butcher who is 2 years younger than MacDonald and is already established on the roster and think there has to be a better spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No, he wouldn't.  There's 4 lefties ahead of him on the depth chart right now.  Your 5th D on one side usually gets in a few games, but it's not hard to look at Will Butcher who is 2 years younger than MacDonald and is already established on the roster and think there has to be a better spot.

I don't think all 4 of those lefties are locked into their spots. But I suppose Florida is pretty light on D, so there's that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I feel about it. I want to believe people deserve second chances but it was an egregious crime and he didn't do much time for it although he lost a lot of wages I guess. Idk how much he made in the KHL. 

Do you guys remember the Mike Danton story? 

Edited by NJDevils1214
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.