Sign in to follow this  
Derlique

2018 UFA Thread

Just now, eaglejelly said:

Actually the Stars won the game in a SO

sh!t did they?  Could've sworn I looked it up a few years ago when I was curious if they eventually lost.  Guess I was mistaken.  Oh well, doesn't change anything lol.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the Devils one of them?

And if the offer was true and Karlsson denied them, doesn't that diminish his trade value?

• Like 1

Bobby Ryan's contract is no doubt atrocious and his play has been in decline, BUT there's gotta be something of his game that we could reclaim. Dude used to be an all star caliber player. Coming home and playing third line minutes can maybe let us squeeze some value out of him. 

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Are the Devils one of them?

And if the offer was true and Karlsson denied them, doesn't that diminish his trade value?

I don't think so. That's kind of a low ball offer given the Doughty and even JT contracts that were just signed.    Anyone trying to land EK has toknow they're in for at least 11 x 8 years.    

Ok, time for pie-in-sky thoughts courtesy of hungover MB3:

2019 1st (lottery protected), 2020 2nd, Severson, Greene (cap dump) and Anderson for Karlsson (re-signed 8x11, exact same deal Doughty got) and Bobby Ryan (no salary retained). 

• Like 1

Not sure we have the assets to compete with what some of these other teams can offer. Taking on the Ryan contract does not seem appealing at all and if we are in serious talks you know that is going to be part of the deal. 

3 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Devils aren't involved The Devils are never involved

I actually agree with this. The Devils have never made a major trade in their entire franchise history. Believe it or not, we actually drafted Ilya Kovalchuk, Kyle Palmieri, Taylor Hall and Sami Vatanen. Don't listen to what other people tell you, they're lying. 

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

2019 1st (lottery protected), 2020 2nd, Severson, Greene (cap dump) and Anderson for Karlsson (re-signed 8x11, exact same deal Doughty got) and Bobby Ryan (no salary retained). 

You'd probably have to throw in a Bratt or McLeod as well. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting that between now and the time the Ryan contract is over, we're guaranteed at least one lockout. Nearly a 100% guarantee. With a lockout comes another round of compliance buyouts, very likely, where we'd be able to rid ourselves of the Ryan deal before Nico's big money would be due. 

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yeah, I feel like realistically it would be Bratt, Butcher and a 1st for Karlsson and Ryan which is both a lot of assets and a lot of cap.  Can't imagine they're in love with McLeod given that they traded with us to move up and take Logan Brown instead.    

Ryan deal I'm slightly concerened but if Ryan is coming other way with no salary retained, that shaves off the price. I think.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I really don't think you do, but I'm fine with throwing in McLeod if I take out the 2nd round pick. Eating that monstrous Bobby Ryan contract is a huuuuuge part of this deal. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting that between now and the time the Ryan contract is over, we're guaranteed at least one lockout. Nearly a 100% guarantee. With a lockout comes another round of compliance buyouts, very likely, where we'd be able to rid ourselves of the Ryan deal before Nico's big money would be due. 

Honestly, I don't think compliance buyouts are mutually exclusive to lockouts, but it more so just comes with the changing of the CBA, so I would bank on those being available after the CBA is renegotiated regardless of a lockout or not.

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I hope you're right.  Good point on the compliance buyout.   Also, I saw somewhere that the language in Bobby Ryan's contract allows him to be left exposed for the next expansion draft despite his NMC.   That would need to be confirmed as well.    

• Like 1

The Devils are one of the only teams that can take on Ryan's contract.  Now I wouldn't want to take on all of it, I'd want Ottawa to hold on at least 15%, and I'd want the Devils to immediately trade 50% of what's left elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I feel like realistically it would be Bratt, Butcher and a 1st for Karlsson and Ryan which is both a lot of assets and a lot of cap.  Can't imagine they're in love with McLeod given that they traded with us to move up and take Logan Brown instead.    

The Devils should absolutely not trade Bratt unless they are getting a signed Karlsson back.  They cannot give up a player like that for the hope of signing Karlsson - the Devils are not likely to offer a deal with huge bonuses or to massively frontload a contract.

• Like 1

Just now, Triumph said:

The Devils are one of the only teams that can take on Ryan's contract.  Now I wouldn't want to take on all of it, I'd want Ottawa to hold on at least 15%, and I'd want the Devils to immediately trade 50% of what's left elsewhere.  

The Devils should absolutely not trade Bratt unless they are getting a signed Karlsson back.  They cannot give up a player like that for the hope of signing Karlsson - the Devils are not likely to offer a deal with huge bonuses or to massively frontload a contract.

yeah, I'm assuming any Karlsson trade is for a signed EK based on the earlier tweets that the Senators are allowing would-be suitors to talk with his agent or whatever.  No way you deal those assets for one year.       

• Like 1

Or we could dump the Ryan contract in the expansion draft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and I guess I wasn't clear about this: I trade a total of 0 things for Karlsson unless he's re-signed before he even gets on the plane over here. We're not out of the re-build enough yet to dump a bunch of assets into an expiring contract. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

14 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I think I would do that deal. 

I'd give Ryan a shot hoping the change of locale might jumpstart him. But that contract is HUGE. If you can move it, you move it.  

Also, he's from Cherry Hill...isn't that basically the Philadelphia area? lol

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Does Karlsson's plus/minus worry you folks?

+/- is a completely meaningless stat, so no. 

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Does Karlsson's plus/minus worry you folks?

No...its bad for one year, on the second worst team in the league. Did you think it would be awesome?