2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I actually think a 4-way trade could be possible so that Tampa can clear enough to make a Karlsson extension doable. Say both the Devils and NYR are involved, maybe:

To Ottawa: TB 2020 1st, Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, Jake Dotchin
To Tampa Bay: Erik Karlsson, John Quenneville
To New Jersey: Bobby Ryan, Tyler Johnson
To NY Rangers: Ryan Callahan, TB 2019 3rd, 2019 4th

Ottawa gets a 1st and two blue chip prospects plus a young roster defenseman, Tampa gets Karlsson with an extension and a project prospect, Devils take on Ryan to facilitate the deal and get Tyler Johnson as part of it to be our #2 center, and the Rangers get a couple picks for taking on Callahan's cap hit.

I'd rather Shero tried to get defensive help rather than a forward. Would love it if he could get Sergachev but suspect that's pure fantasy.

Lol, that tweet is silly without any context. If he can add Karlsson, get rid of Callahan and give up no roster talent, that would be amazing. But he can't, so why are we talking about it? There's 0% chance the lightning aren't parting ways with a significant piece or two. 

I’ll believe it when I see it. Yzerman is a fvcking wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

He also had probably the single biggest goal of the season, looked like he was getting his confidence towards the end of the year, and... oh, yeah, is 21 tittyfvcking years old. 

A big part of his game is his size. It's not speed, which directly translates to the league. It's size! And size takes time. He's still growing into his frame. Pavel Zacha will be a productive NHL player or I'll eat my hat. And I fvcking love this hat. 

Do you want me to name all the horrible NHL players who had big goals in their careers? I'm not saying Zacha is definitely not going to make it but obviously this line of reasoning is nonsensical. The 21 years-old thing is answered in the post you responded to. Yeah, he looked more confident at the end of the year, which meant he was brave enligh to make some really stupid passes that led scoring chances for the other team. Seriously though, I'm not sure what you mean re: confidence. I didn't see it. 

I don't understand your size argument at all. You need size and speed and skill. Zacha was marketed as someone containing all three and now we're at the point of you trying to argue, "but he's tall damn it!" I don't know, maybe he grows into the next Jim McKenzie. 

39 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, my turn.

Ottawa gets: 2019 1st (NJ, lottery protected), 2020 1st (TBL), 2019 2nd (TBL) Damon Severson

New Jersey gets: Brayden Point, Cal Foote, Ryan Callahan, Bobby Ryan

Tampa gets: Erik Karlsson

So; Tampa clears cap with Callahan. Ottawa clears cap with Ryan, gets a haul of picks and a young defenseman who's shown solid potential. Devils get a young elite player in Point and a bluechip defensive prospect in Foote, in addition to serviceable 3rd and 4th line guys. 

I know we're just speculating for fun but this is just a total pipe dream, there's no way Ottawa agrees to a deal where the two best pieces (Point & Foote) go to the Devils. Sens fans would burn the city to the ground.

6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Lol, that tweet is silly without any context. If he can add Karlsson, get rid of Callahan and give up no roster talent, that would be amazing. But he can't, so why are we talking about it? There's 0% chance the lightning aren't parting ways with a significant piece or two. 

The issue here is the definition of "significant." 

My worry is that somehow TB will only have to move contracts that they want and have to move anyway, like TJ and Callahan. And if they do, holy fvck that'll be some bullsh!t. 

Edited by Neb00rs

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Bratt, Severson, Quenneville for Kucherov, Callahan, Girardi and whatever other salary Yzerman needs to dump.

To me, out of TBL's entire loaded roster, they have four untouchable players of whom trading would be counter productive and are likely off the table: Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevskiy. 

And TBL's probable unwillingness to part with any of them means their first round pick is definitely going out the door. 

Just a hunch............ if the Devils are going to make trades this off season and this Karlsson thing falls thru on the Devils side...................

I will bet you that the Devils will be involved in serious trade talks with the two M's (Minnesota and Montreal).

Minnesota might be looking for a roster shakeup and Montreal might part ways with Pacioretty.

If Tampa wants Karlsson, I don't see how they keep Kucherov long term, or it's very, very difficult.  If they sign Karlsson and even if they got rid of Callahan for virtually nothing, next year they'd have $60 million for 11 roster players needing to re-sign Kucherov -- who won't be taking a discount -- and Point and Sergachev if somehow he's not being sent to Ottawa. In two years, they need to sign Vasilevsky, who is getting at least Schneider's deal.

I think Shero is driving a hard bargain, and perhaps Johnson won't waive his NTC, which is why nothing has happened so far.

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Am I the only guy who doesn't really want Tyler Johnson? Career borderline 2nd-line center and one high-profile fantastic playoffs... he's fine, but nothing I would get excited about (like Point or Sergachev)

I think that's kind of what we should expecting though, yeah I'd obviously rather have Point or Sergachev but I'd bet my next paycheck that doesn't happen. Johnson I think is a realistic player we could nab and I think he would be perfect playing in our system, Johnson has speed for days and I think he would be a solid #2 center for us.

Am I the only guy who doesn't really want Tyler Johnson? Career borderline 2nd-line center and one high-profile fantastic playoffs... he's fine, but nothing I would get excited about (like Point or Sergachev)

No you aren’t. I’m not a big Tyler Johnson fan either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm with you.  He's at the age where players tend to decline and he's under contract for a while at a not insignificant sum.  As I said before, he's Montreal-Scott Gomez waiting to happen.  I used to think if Tampa wanted to give him to us, then I'd take him, but even then I'm not so sure. 

Tampa's really in a bind if they want Karlsson.  If the Rangers get Johnson as the sweetener in a deal for Callahan, fine, it's not going to be the difference between them winning a Cup.  Otherwise, I'd drive a really hard bargain, as it seems that we're one of the few teams that's available to take on Tampa's salary dumps.

Edited by Daniel

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

fvck this trade, I don't want any part of it period. Let Karlsson rot in Ottawa. Enough with these sh!t bag ex Rangers on our team, Grabner was bad enough I don't want anything to do with Callahan. 

Not only that, we're supposed to be giving 1st round draft picks and receiving 2nd round ones in exchange while we also give Ottawa a prospect? All that for Tyler Johnson..Yeah I'll gladly take a season long hard look at McLeod and Zacha.

If there is no draft picks leaving us, I'm okay with it, but I wont jeopardize my 1st round pick before the season even starts to facilitate a deal between two conference rivals. fvck them, let the dumb Rags do it as they always do.

• Like 2

I guess another way to look at Johnson is "If he were a UFA, would I be OK with the Devils signing him for 6 years at $5 mil per?" 

I can understand the arguments for and against him.  I still think he's a potential bargain in terms of what his cap hit will be (and he's had a couple of productive playoffs), but I'm not going to be crushed if the Devils don't get him.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess another way to look at Johnson is "If he were a UFA, would I be OK with the Devils signing him for 6 years at $5 mil per?" 

I can understand the arguments for and against him.  I still think he's a potential bargain in terms of what his cap hit will be (and he's had a couple of productive playoffs), but I'm not going to be crushed if the Devils don't get him.

I'd rather overpay him a million or two via free agency than give up a 1st and Zacha while I also overpay, but this time for Ryan or Callahan.

Of course there is also the argument about how hard it is to attract these players once they hit the FA market and that it's why Shero would be doing this type of move