2018 UFA Thread

I don't get the "Zacha is a bust" movement. He obviously didn't hit the ground running like Nico, but most young players need time to develop  and labelling him a bust after only two seasons is premature imo. 

I want him here unless he's a piece in a deal that gets us a very good player/prospect. Otherwise keep him even if it means him playing the wing.

• Like 6
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

I like to tell people I’m an architect, Art Vandeley.

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

do we really know if he can handle being a wing?  

We don't even know if he can handle being a center. 

EDIT: I am definitely NOT calling him a bust, but as of now, he's unproven. 

Edited by mfitz804
21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s 21. It’s entirely too early to call him a bust. This take is really beginning to irritate me. Probably because I’ve been watching hockey for 33 years of the 39 I’ve been alive, and I’ve learned that most players take time to develop. This fan base is so fvcking spoiled that it has completely skewered reality for some fans. Not every prospect is McDavid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm just a guy with an opinion.  I don't claim to be an expert evaluator of talent by any means.  I respect you've been a follower of the sport for a long time, but the NHL has changed significantly over the past 10 years (which I'm sure you're aware of).

In today's NHL, guys are entering the league earlier and earlier.  21 in 2018's NHL isn't the same as 21 in 1995.  It also doesn't help that all the other guys in the top-10 from his draft year have developed into at least above-average NHLers at this point.  Wasn't the knock on Zacha that he had all the physical tools in the world but no hockey IQ to go with them?  Has he shown us anything thus far indicating that's inaccurate?  Wasn't he also the most physically NHL-ready prospect in that draft class?

Edit: Regardless, my point is I'd sell high on Zacha now if it means we're getting legit talent back.  We can debate Zacha's future in a different thread not about UFA.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

But anyway, let's fvck around a bit before the deal is announced.  Fill in the blanks:

Ottawa gets: __________
Tampa gets: Karlsson, _________
NJ gets: Kucherov, Ryan, Callahan

Edit: This is clearly fantasy land here, I'm aware of this.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Hey, I'm just a guy with an opinion.  I don't claim to be an expert evaluator of talent by any means.  I respect you've been a follower of the sport for a long time, but the NHL has changed significantly over the past 10 years (which I'm sure you're aware of).

In today's NHL, guys are entering the league earlier and earlier.  21 in 2018's NHL isn't the same as 21 in 1995.  It also doesn't help that all the other guys in the top-10 from his draft year have developed into at least above-average NHLers at this point.  Wasn't the knock on Zacha that he had all the physical tools in the world but no hockey IQ to go with them?  Has he shown us anything thus far indicating that's inaccurate?  Wasn't he also the most physically NHL-ready prospect in that draft class?

Edit: Regardless, my point is I'd sell high on Zacha now if it means we're getting legit talent back.  We can debate Zacha's future in a different thread not about UFA.

The thing to remember is that every player has their own development path- development isn’t linear. Just because those guys in Zacha’s draft have outperformed him to this point doesn’t make Zacha a bust. How much would it suck to trade him only to watch him turn into Ryan Kesler somewhere else? Patience my friend lol.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

But anyway, let's fvck around a bit before the deal is announced.  Fill in the blanks:

I actually think a 4-way trade could be possible so that Tampa can clear enough to make a Karlsson extension doable. Say both the Devils and NYR are involved, maybe:

To Ottawa: TB 2020 1st, Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, Jake Dotchin
To Tampa Bay: Erik Karlsson, John Quenneville
To New Jersey: Bobby Ryan, Tyler Johnson
To NY Rangers: Ryan Callahan, TB 2019 3rd, 2019 4th

Ottawa gets a 1st and two blue chip prospects plus a young roster defenseman, Tampa gets Karlsson with an extension and a project prospect, Devils take on Ryan to facilitate the deal and get Tyler Johnson as part of it to be our #2 center, and the Rangers get a couple picks for taking on Callahan's cap hit.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I actually think a 4-way trade could be possible so that Tampa can clear enough to make a Karlsson extension doable. Say both the Devils and NYR are involved, maybe:

To Ottawa: TB 2020 1st, Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, Jake Dotchin
To Tampa Bay: Erik Karlsson, John Quenneville
To New Jersey: Bobby Ryan, Tyler Johnson
To NY Rangers: Ryan Callahan, TB 2019 3rd, 2019 4th

Ottawa gets a 1st and two blue chip prospects plus a young roster defenseman, Tampa gets Karlsson with an extension and a project prospect, Devils take on Ryan to facilitate the deal and get Tyler Johnson as part of it to be our #2 center, and the Rangers get a couple picks for taking on Callahan's cap hit.

I personally don't think Tyler Johnson is worth taking on Bobby Ryan.   That contract is way too long.   Unless we are getting Sergachev, even if it means we're sending other pieces out to balance things, I want no part of Bobby Ryan. 

Re: Zacha - He's been underwhelming so far but we saw very clear development as the season went along last year.  I'll be worried when he stops showing clear and obvious progress.      

Edited by Lateralous
24 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

like i said earlier... Zacha is 21 with 2 seasons under his belt already. Many many many very good NHL players were not even in the NHL at that age and produced at a similar rate than him their first seasons. That should put things in perspective a bit

• Like 1

Tampa isn’t gonna move Kucherov (especially in the conference), as amazing as it would be to land him.... that’s a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I personally don't think Tyler Johnson is worth taking on Bobby Ryan.   That contract is way too long.   Unless we are getting Sergachev, even if it means we're sending another pieces out to balance things out, I want no part of Bobby Ryan. 

Re: Zacha - He's been underwhelming so far but we saw very clear development as the season went along last year.  I'll be worried when he stops showing clear and obvious progress.      

Yeah I can definitely get the hesitation on Ryan, but there's likely going to be compliance buyouts in a couple years when the CBA is renegotiated and if things really go sideways on Ryan, we can exercise one of those on him. Plus, I think Ryan can still play on a 3rd line and this would give a pretty solid forward group:

Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Wood - Johnson - Johansson
Bratt - Zacha - Ryan
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Boyle

Swap around as you see fit, but I'd say that's easily a playoff caliber forward lineup, hands down.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tampa isn’t gonna move Kucherov (especially in the conference), as amazing as it would be to land him.... that’s a pipe dream.

Nah I know, just stargazing a bit. 

The cap logistics, while theoretically do-able I think, would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Ok, my turn.

Ottawa gets: 2019 1st (NJ, lottery protected), 2020 1st (TBL), 2019 2nd (TBL) Damon Severson

New Jersey gets: Brayden Point, Cal Foote, Ryan Callahan, Bobby Ryan

Tampa gets: Erik Karlsson

So; Tampa clears cap with Callahan. Ottawa clears cap with Ryan, gets a haul of picks and a young defenseman who's shown solid potential. Devils get a young elite player in Point and a bluechip defensive prospect in Foote, in addition to serviceable 3rd and 4th line guys. 

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, my turn.

Ottawa gets: 2019 1st (NJ, lottery protected), 2020 1st (TBL), 2019 2nd (TBL) Damon Severson

I would probably do it if it were Sergachev.   I think that would work better for Tampa as well since they still have Stralman, EK, McD and Hedman as a top 4 but I don't think they have any other good options for 2C.   

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not either, just not sure if there's really room for him (and I think the organization's been frustrated with him at times)...do we really know if he can handle being a wing?  

You have to be a special kind of special to be a C but not handle playing wing. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Wood - Johnson - Johansson
Bratt - Zacha - Ryan
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Boyle

For the record, I am totally in favor of making Ken Daneyko comment on games where guys named Johnson and Johansson are on the same line. If we can also pick up Ross Johnston from the Isles, that would be even better. 

We'd never have any idea who was doing what. 

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My complete guess is we get Stralman and Ryan.

and I still think back to when we let stralman walk from a freaking camp invite. Thanks Lou

Unless we're also getting a few draft picks or prospects, fvck everything about that. We get 1 year of a 31 year old defenseman who was pretty 'meh' last year and the worst contract in the NHL... for nada? No. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

For the record, I am totally in favor of making Ken Daneyko comment on games where guys named Johnson and Johansson are on the same line. If we can also pick up Ross Johnston from the Isles, that would be even better. 

We'd never have any idea who was doing what. 

I thought the same thing, especially wouldn't be able to wait for Dano to just combine the two into "Marcus Johnson" or "Tyler Johansson" like a DBZ fusion.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would probably do it if it were Sergachev.   I think that would work better for Tampa as well since they still have Stralman, EK, McD and Hedman as a top 4 but I don't think they have any other good options for 2C.   

This actually has me salivating a bit (Point or Segachev going to NJ), but TBL are only giving up a low first, a low 2nd, and Point essentially to land EK?  Bobby Ryan & Callahan don't count as positive value-add assets.  Seems like TB would be winning in a major way.  I guess Cal Foote was drafted pretty highly by TB, but I am not very familiar with his projection.  I'd rather throw a NJ 1st+2nd+good young player or 2 to TB directly if that's all it takes (though I guess we don't really have any roster ready players at the level of a Point or Sergachev that we could afford to lose).  It does seem to make some sense that NJ would be involved as the 3rd team, so, let's see what transpires.  So long as we grab a good piece and not purely some dumped contracts, I'd be happy.

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Ok, my turn.

Jesus, Callahan AND Ryan. 

You're like Mother Theresa. But if that gets us Point and Foote. I think i'd do it

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Jesus, Callahan AND Ryan. 

You're like Mother Theresa. But if that gets us Point and Foote. I think i'd do it

Cap space is an asset and underutilized cap space is a waste of an asset. Callahan's 5.8 is off the books the summer we need to re-sign Hall, Sami and Nico. You think the Devils are going to be a cap team between now and then? Hell no, they're not. 

You're god damn right I'm like Mother Theresa. Don't you forget it. 

4 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

You do it for all the local "jersey boy comes home" headlines that we'll see ad nauseum for the next several months. :)

2aIhwh2.jpg

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st
  • Like 3