Jump to content

2018 UFA Thread


Derlique
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Tyler Johnson apparently has a full no trade clause.  I've recall reading somewhere that he wasn't asked to waive it.  So my guess is that "third teams" don't see him as worth their while to take on a cap dump.

But getting back to my Kucherov idea, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

In any deal, I assume that Sergachev is going to Ottawa.  At the moment, he's the third left handed defenseman behind Hedman and McDonough.  So let's say the Devils are the third team that's available to take on whatever Tampa needs to dump to make it work, Callahan, Coburn, Girardi, whoever.  The Devils add cost controlled players that Tampa can use, Bratt and Severson.

So without the cap dumping stuff it's:

Tampa:  Karlsson, Bratt, Severson
Ottawa:  Sergachev (other stuff)
New Jersey: Kucherov (crap Tampa is getting rid of)

It's not crazy for Tampa, especially if it's going to be difficult for them to give Kucherov a new contract if they're paying Karlsson $11 million a year

Tampa wants to win the Cup next year. They're not trading Kucherov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They also want Karlsson and presumably want him with an extension.  Very difficult for them to do that and keep Kucharov. 

I’m sure they’ll find a way. Kucherov isn’t being traded. It’s really not even worth hypothetical discussion because there is literally no chance of this happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:


I’m sure they’ll find a way. Kucherov isn’t being traded. It’s really not even worth hypothetical discussion because there is literally no chance of this happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yzerman is in a win now mode. Let next year's Yzerman deal with that cap problem or trade his RFA rights

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MadDog2020 said:


I’m sure they’ll find a way. Kucherov isn’t being traded. It’s really not even worth hypothetical discussion because there is literally no chance of this happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I'll say that if the reports that the Devils are involved are accurate and nothing has happened yet, my guess is that's who Shero is asking for.  If the Devils or whatever third party was looking for Johnson, Killorn or Palat as the sweetener for the cap dump, it would have happened by now.  The only other player that might be worth some team's while that Tampa might be hesitant to give up would be  JT Miller. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They also want Karlsson and presumably want him with an extension.  Very difficult for them to do that and keep Kucharov. 

 

Nikita Kucherov scored 100 points last year. That's kind of the ideal you shoot for with forwards. They'll figure out how to keep him. Everyone else not named Vasilevskiy, Hedman, or Stamkos is liable to be moved for bargain prices. If EK is on the way to TB, then to me, Palat, TJ, Miller, Stralman, Koekkoek, McDonagh, Killorn, Paquette, Point, and Sergachev are all available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Yzerman is in a win now mode. Let next year's Yzerman deal with that cap problem or trade his RFA rights

But if he wants Karlsson even for this year, he needs to get rid of Callahan at a minimum.  And Dallas might beat them to the punch.  It's a matter of whether they blink first with Heskanen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They also want Karlsson and presumably want him with an extension.  Very difficult for them to do that and keep Kucharov. 

If Toronto claims they can fit Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, Tampa can find a way to squeeze in a big 4 of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, and Karlsson. It's the guys on the periphery of that that are going to have to go to fit it. I don't think it's this year, but maybe Brayden Point is a casualty next summer to manage the squeeze, or more likely someone like JT Miller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

If Toronto claims they can fit Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, Tampa can find a way to squeeze in a big 4 of Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, and Karlsson. It's the guys on the periphery of that that are going to have to go to fit it. I don't think it's this year, but maybe Brayden Point is a casualty next summer to manage the squeeze, or more likely someone like JT Miller.

Again, Tampa cannot get Karlsson this year without moving out someone like Callahan, at a minimum.  From all accounts, no one is interested in any of the former triplets as the sweetener for the cap dump, because if they were, the deal would be done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Again, Tampa cannot get Karlsson this year without moving out someone like Callahan, at a minimum.  From all accounts, no one is interested in any of the former triplets as the sweetener for the cap dump, because if they were, the deal would be done. 

Well yeah I agree with that for sure, I'm sure the hold up is Tampa wants to hang on to guys like the triplets to give themselves the best shot this season and other teams are balking at that and wanting something beyond an average pick to take on Callahan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Well yeah I agree with that for sure, I'm sure the hold up is Tampa wants to hang on to guys like the triplets to give themselves the best shot this season and other teams are balking at that and wanting something beyond an average pick to take on Callahan.

And the other thing that's going on is Dallas is still in the picture.  If they make the decision to part with Heskanen, Karlsson is going to Dallas before Yzerman can get to the phone to try and up his offer. 

Tampa is obviously not going to give away Kucherov.  But I think Yzerman is starting to realize that no one is going to do him any favors in getting rid of his unwanted salaries so he has a top pairing of perhaps the two best defenseman in hockey.  Tyler Johnson ain't going to get it done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kuch is going no where. Plain and simple. From looking at their fans posts, some are afraid Point could be a target. And they don't want seeming as he is their best 2 way player. But he will cost alot as well, so Point could be a piece. I'll gladly take Point or Killorn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Kuch is going no where. Plain and simple. From looking at their fans posts, some are afraid Point could be a target. And they don't want seeming as he is their best 2 way player. But he will cost alot as well, so Point could be a piece. I'll gladly take Point or Killorn. 

I would gladly take Point as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

 Capture.PNG.00788ec722f97d3c0ae823dece8bce08.PNG

Yeah, he's be a better fit in Long Island where mullets still abound...

45 minutes ago, moustic said:

Then Kucherov should excuse himself to Vatanen 

(no?)

I think that's the one I was thinking of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Nikita Kucherov scored 100 points last year. That's kind of the ideal you shoot for with forwards. They'll figure out how to keep him. 

Yeah, a 100 point man does not get included as a throw-in to the team that absorbs the cap hit. That's actually a pretty funny theory. 

I think if we end up with Sergachev, Ray will have redeemed himself for the early inactivity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, a 100 point man does not get included as a throw-in to the team that absorbs the cap hit. That's actually a pretty funny theory. 

I think if we end up with Sergachev, Ray will have redeemed himself for the early inactivity. 

Sergachev would almost certainly be going to Ottawa.  Remember, they have to get something. 

If Yzerman wants Karlsson, he needs to dump salary.  All I'm saying is that if we lose out on Tyler Johnson, I could live with it.  It's gotta be a better player than him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Sergachev would almost certainly be going to Ottawa.  Remember, they have to get something. 

If Yzerman wants Karlsson, he needs to dump salary.  All I'm saying is that if we lose out on Tyler Johnson, I could live with it.  It's gotta be a better player than him.

I couldn't figure out a two way trade, I certainly am not figuring out a three way trade. But all I know is, you don't "dump" the salary of a 100 point scorer. Callahan, sure, that would be a dump. But you'd have to give value for Kucherov, value I don't think we have to give. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.