2018 UFA Thread

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

what do you mean i hate every team that isn't NJ ? haha there's only a handful of teams i don't like in the league

And i'm not against being part of the team but it has to be a very good deal. Say your crush as a cute sister or wtv.... lol

Some severe case of blue balls could make you do anything pal

We got to be clear here. If we get a player out of a 3 way. We're getting it from Tampa im pretty sure. They are the one that needs to clear their roster to make room from Karlsson. Sens are already stripping their teams by moving Karlsson. They need to get the most out of the deal. Trading one of their best player makes no sense.

Sorry I mixed you up with Satans Hockey.

It makes more sense if you're set to lose him for nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

I like to tell people I’m an architect, Art Vandeley.

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall

Posted Images

The more I read of these hypothetical trades everyone keeps posting the more I want nothing to do with this trade at all. 
Agreed. Why are we giving up a first rounder for any of the players mentioned not named Karlsson? I hope Ray isn't that dumb when we need our picks. He handed our top picks out like candy last year to pick up players that were not effectice. See Michael Grabner and 2nd rounder.

Maybe we should stand pat.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Agreed. Why are we giving up a first rounder for any of the players mentioned not named Karlsson? I hope Ray isn't that dumb when we need our picks. He handed our top picks out like candy last year to pick up players that were not effectice. See Michael Grabner and 2nd rounder.

Maybe we should stand pat.

If we are giving away our 1st round pick, we need a better payoff than what has been mentioned recently. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If we are giving away our 1st round pick, we need a better payoff than what has been mentioned recently. 

Especially that we are a team that just got out of a rough patch and like many teams who get out of those, sometimes the second season is not as successful and we could find ourselves not making the playoffs or exiting early in the playoffs. Add to that the fact that we don't know much about the overall strength of next year's draft. It would be silly to give our 1st round pick, not make the playoffs or make it and get out in the first round like this year only to find out its a good year to draft with good or very good talent in the first round. 

I feel like unless you are the team trading for Karlsson or another blockbuster of a deal, then you don't give your 1st. You can do that later at the deadline or next summer when the draft is nearing, but not before the season starts when we don't know how this year might go (we're not exactly stacked ala Tampa Bay or Toronto). 

Of all this rhetoric about the Devils being the third team in the deal......................

How about the Devils actually acquiring Karlsson and save themselves the trouble of taking on Callahan's hideous contract?

Why not just get the great player for a bad contract? Not the bad player for a bad contract.

Another question.............. Why should the Devils be in the business of helping out Tampa Bay, a team which their fan base hates? If Shero isn't getting multiple first round picks back, he should tell those two teams to go fvck themselves.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Of all this rhetoric about the Devils being the third team in the deal......................

How about the Devils actually acquiring Karlsson and save themselves the trouble of taking on Callahan's hideous contract?

Why not just get the great player for a bad contract? Not the bad player for a bad contract.

Another question.............. Why should the Devils be in the business of helping out Tampa Bay, a team which their fan base hates? If Shero isn't getting multiple first round picks back, he should tell those two teams to go fvck themselves.

You don't become the third team to "help" another team. You get something out of it. It's not charity work. Would you rather the Rags be the 3rs team and possibly end up with a 60pt guy like Brayden Point?

Edited by NJDevils1214
1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Shero stuck his foot in the door as the 3rd team and then flipped it into a direct trade for Karlsson? Obviously we’d need to do significantly more than just taking on a bad contract, though. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Shero stuck his foot in the door as the 3rd team and then flipped it into a direct trade for Karlsson? Obviously we’d need to do significantly more than just taking on a bad contract, though. 

It's so fvcking tricky... here's a few things we know or can assume.... 

- Ottawa doesn't have much leverage here. Karlsson only wants to go to a few teams, Tampa being the top one apparently.

- Tampa has to trade really good assets to GET him... PLUS they'd have to trade good assets in order to get rid of a few contracts to make room for him. But most assets have control on where they can go and they sure don't want to go to Ottawa. So they need another team involved.

- Then well if you trade Karlsson... you want something good coming your way and it has to be perfect but if you gamble too much you'll lose him for nothing

- As of Tampa... they likely want him now... but you got to be thinking... do they really want to lose Point, Johnson, Gourde, Sergachev or one of those guys in order to 1- get karlsson from Ottawa but then throw more assets to another team to pick up Callahan? That's a lot. You'd think that they might think, let's just wait this out and sign him through free agency for free, we'll keep our assets and we'll try to do a single trade to move Callahan. Also well.. you often trade for guys in order to have their rights and all but Tampa has to feel pretty confident that they could sign him say he'd make it to free agency.

- If you're Karlsson and want to join a contender... do you want that team to strip their team in order to get you? Or just sign with them without having players going the other way? and let the GM figure out a way to make room for you.

- If a team wants 8 years of Karlsson or that Karlsson want that they have to get a trade going and not him just signing somewhere after.

Edited by SterioDesign
4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's so fvcking tricky... here's a few things we know or can assume.... 

- Ottawa doesn't have much leverage here. Karlsson only wants to go to a few teams, Tampa being the top one apparently.

- Tampa has to trade really good assets to GET him... PLUS they'd have to trade good assets in order to get rid of a few contracts to make room for him. But most assets have control on where they can go and they sure don't want to go to Ottawa. So they need another team involved

- Then well if you trade Karlsson... you want something good coming your way and it has to be perfect but if you gamble too much you'll lose him for nothing

- As of Tampa... they likely want him now... but you got to be thinking... do they really want to lose Point, Johnson, Gourde, Sergachev or one of those guys in order to 1- get karlsson from Ottawa but then throw more assets to another team to pick up Callahan? That's a lot. You'd think that they might think, let's just wait this out and sign him through free agency for free, we'll keep our assets and we'll try to do a single trade to move Callahan. 

- If you're Karlsson and want to join a contender... do you want that team to strip their team in order to get you? Or just sign with them without having players going the other way? and let the GM figure out a way to make room for you

From all accounts, and as things stand now, Dallas is not trading Heiskanen and Tampa is not trading Point or  Sergachev.  That doesn’t leave much for Ottawa to the point that they’re in the range of the awful return Boston got for Seguin.  And Vegas appears to have lost interest or it would have been done by now,

I wonder more whether it’s worth a roll of the dice for NJ to trade for him without an extension so long as we’re not on the no trade list.  The way things stand now, you could do it with the best prospect being McLeod and best roster player being Bratt.  

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

From all accounts, and as things stand now, Dallas is not trading Heiskanen and Tampa is not trading Point or  Sergachev.  That doesn’t leave much for Ottawa to the point that they’re in the range of the awful return Boston got for Seguin.  And Vegas appears to have lost interest or it would have been done by now,

I wonder more whether it’s worth a roll of the dice for NJ to trade for him without an extension so long as we’re not on the no trade list.  The way things stand now, you could do it with the best prospect being McLeod and best roster player being Bratt.  

I wouldn't do it without an extension for sure.

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So Dallas and Tampa both expect Ottawa to trade Karlsson for a bag of pucks? I mean if you want a generational talent, you have to give up a something, including a 1st round pick, top prospect and a top player. At the moment, I would say there are 5 players of such high calibre, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovi and Karlsson. I would trade a 1st, Point and a good prospect for Karlsson in a heart beat with a 8 year contract.

12 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

So Dallas and Tampa both expect Ottawa to trade Karlsson for a bag of pucks? I mean if you want a generational talent, you have to give up a something, including a 1st round pick, top prospect and a top player. At the moment, I would say there are 5 players of such high calibre, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Ovi and Karlsson. I would trade a 1st, Point and a good prospect for Karlsson in a heart beat with a 8 year contract.

What is being reported is that Dallas offered a package where the best piece going to Ottawa is Julius Honka. He’s probably a notch above Severson.  

Perhaps Tampa did offer something involving Point or Sergachev and hence all the jumping the gun that a deal was done, but Callahan couldn’t be offloaded as quickly as Tampa hoped.  

Whatever the case, Ottawa is not getting anything close to even value.  It’s pretty close to the situation the Marlins were in with Stanton.

The longer it goes it's the best for Shero. Not all teams have re-signed their RFAs, some will be close to the cap and might have to make some moves. It's not helping that the cap just keep rising that much every year but Shero sure knows how to strike on team having to make room. So we might still get that later once teams are starting to shape up or even during camp. Also many teams may drop of the Karlsson hunt and move on to put their money or assets on other players... while we're still hanging in the back with tons of cap space. Who knows

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

The pressure is all on Ottawa. If they don't make a deal they'll just lose him for nothing. Karlsson has them by the balls and EVERYONE knows it, so they don't have a ton of leverage except to play the few teams Karlsson has agreed to be traded to off each other to try and drive the price up a little.

All indications are that NJ is not one of the teams he has cleared to be traded to--so the whole "watch Shero swoop in" narrative is moot from everything we think we know thus far.