Sign in to follow this  
Derlique

2018 UFA Thread

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The pressure is all on Ottawa. If they don't make a deal they'll just lose him for nothing. Karlsson has them by the balls and EVERYONE knows it, so they don't have a ton of leverage except to play the few teams Karlsson has agreed to be traded to off each other to try and drive the price up a little.

All indications are that NJ is not one of the teams he has cleared to be traded to--so the whole "watch Shero swoop in" narrative is moot from everything we think we know thus far.

Ottawa can also wait until the trade deadline and probably get as good a deal from another team that’ll take him as a rental.  Only risk is that he gets hurt.

Would you guys make this trade, and risk losing Karlsson for nothing if he has no interest in re-signing? Because there is no way in hell Karlsson is going to re-sign here immediately. 

Zacha, 2019 first?

Edited by Derlique

16 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I've been patient and trusting of Ray but this is getting hard to take now. 

I find it interesting that the Karlsson trade is taking so long. I’m hoping it’s Ray holding it up. 

23 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You shut your whore mouth

Dude is from like 5 minutes from Philly, isn’t he? If he’s thinking about “home”, it’s not Newark. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Would you guys make this trade, and risk losing Karlsson for nothing if he has no interest in re-signing? Because there is no way in hell Karlsson is going to re-sign here immediately. 

Zacha, 2019 first?

Top ten protect the first and I’d do it, unless he says something to the effect that he’ll never re-sign no matter what.  And even then, maybe you do it.  If things don’t look good, he can be traded at the deadline, and possibly recoup more than you gave up to bring him here.

47 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I've been patient and trusting of Ray but this is getting hard to take now. 

You can't force a guy to stay and we don't want to have a Ryane Clowe situation again.

• Like 1

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

You can't force a guy to stay and we don't want to have a Ryane Clowe situation again.

I can live without Maroon, and he in particular is not the issue.  It’s that the team effectively has more cap space than anyone else in the league, and that there were players available that could fit needs the Devils have that would not cost and arm and a leg, but we might have a situation where Ray is just saying a player is only worth x even if paying them more than x doesn’t matter.  Or maybe there’s a giant death blow coming that no one sees.  

• Like 1

I'll decide how upset I am when I see his terms, but STL is where his kid is so I can't fault him. I figured it was coming. He took a while to decide though so I wonder if he wanted to stay in NJ that bad or maybe wanted to bring his kid here.

53 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll decide how upset I am when I see his terms, but STL is where his kid is so I can't fault him. I figured it was coming. He took a while to decide though so I wonder if he wanted to stay in NJ that bad or maybe wanted to bring his kid here.

The guy played 17 games here after a trade. He probably never unpacked his bags. 

Really wish we re-signed Maroon even if it was a dramatic overpay. Hope Shero has a gameplan for this metric fvckton of cap space we have this year and next; letting it sit is a pretty unbelievable waste of an asset that most teams don’t possess. 

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Really wish we re-signed Maroon even if it was a dramatic overpay. Hope Shero has a gameplan for this metric fvckton of cap space we have this year and next; letting it sit is a pretty unbelievable waste of an asset that most teams don’t possess. 

Pretty sure he does have a plan..  

Though part of me just wants him to do nothing (which wouldn't be the worst thing, esp with all the kids still improving)  just to watch most here go insane

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

there's like 40 something guys filling for arbitration so it usually means they'll get more than the GM would want either way and many of those teams are nearing the ceiling so they will have to make some moves to clear space and that's where Shero usually strike. See Palmieri and Mojo.

The cap rising by like 5m didn't help though, usually teams are a bit more strapped and in trouble than this at this time of the year. 

Edited by SterioDesign

To be fair, the Palmieri, MoJo and Hall trades were all much earlier in the offseason. I think, though, the entire league is kind of sitting on their hands while waiting for the Karlsson shoe to drop. I also think I just mixed two different phrases, so I’m going to make like a tree and fvck myself.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

To be fair, the Palmieri, MoJo and Hall trades were all much earlier in the offseason. I think, though, the entire league is kind of sitting on their hands while waiting for the Karlsson shoe to drop. I also think I just mixed two different phrases, so I’m going to make like a tree and fvck myself.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm pretty sure he isn't with his kids mother so there wasn't much chance of the kid actually coming here anyway. I remember that being the reason he got all choked up when the Oilers played in St. Louis in that one interview. 

• Like 2

FWIW:    Devils Insiders Retweeted:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏Verified account @jprutherford 

Maroon update: Agent @BenHankinson tells The Athletic that no decision is expected tonight, and that while the Blues remain a “strong option,” there are other teams still in the mix. #stlblues

Michael Russo ‏Verified account @RussoHockey 

Hankinson confirmed #stlblues are 1 of those teams interested in Maroon and they're deciding between 1, 2, 3 year deals with multiple teams. Has talked to #mnwild about Maroon, they like him, but they'd have to make a trade to sign him. Sounded like Maroon wouldn't wait for that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray now has to find more size up front.  Possibilities?

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not surprised and really don't care. 

Me either. People post things about him like he was here forever and it’s some big loss. He’s a nice player, but he was here for a minute against his will. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Me either. People post things about him like he was here forever and it’s some big loss. He’s a nice player, but he was here for a minute against his will. 

Honestly I'm more surprised we traded for him to begin with because if I could take 2 mins and do a Google search about him it was clear as day he was going to St. Louis first shot he had and was gonna be nothing more than a rental.

He wanted to be closer to his kid and since he's not with the kids mom it's not like he can just move them wherever(financially obviously he can but you know it wasn't gonna happen) and apparently his current gf lives in St Louis too so yeah this was a no brainer. 

This video is from last year.... 

• Like 1

(If this is true) One year at !.7 is the best he could do? Going "home" is nice i guess, but apparently other teams didn't think all that highly of him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Ray now has to find more size up front.  Possibilities?

Explain to Brian Boyle he’s 6’6 245lbs...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not a big loss, but he made the team better. He brought size upfront that only Noesen really fills now. Who else is going to take the spot in front of the net? Brian Boyle? Lol. 

No one is overly sentimental. He simply made the team better. 

Interesting wrinkle to the Maroon story. Phil Maroon, Pat's brother, is all over Twitter calling out Lou Korac and others' Maroon rumors (saying "done deal", etc.) as "100% inaccurate" as recently as last night (10:33pm). He's sent a bunch of replies to people on Twitter and reporters saying the rumors aren't true. Interesting...