Jump to content

2018 UFA Thread


Recommended Posts

The other thing about Karlsson is that there are worries about his foot and/or his ankle.  It doesn’t worry me enough not to try and trade for him and sign him to a big extension, but it’s just another reason why you wouldn’t trade someone like Hall for him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

I like to tell people I’m an architect, Art Vandeley.

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:


What about Adam Larsson? emoji14.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And then we got TH9 for nothing?  Fabulous!

With EDM, anything is possible....

Edited by aclc79
Link to post
Share on other sites

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall for is very short, it's something like: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and that's kind of it. Then there's players where I think it would be a fair swap, like Matthews or Kucherov, but I wouldn't be trading Hall for a fair swap, we already have arguably the best LW in the National Hockey League.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I think the idea of trading Hall for Karlsson is ridiculous.  How can you even remotely consider it, with Karlsson not being signed and only having one year left?  It makes zero sense, and anyone who would do that deal shouldn't be anywhere near a GM's desk.  Now, if you want to discuss it under the assumption that he does re-sign a long-term deal, then that's different, but even with that in mind, I still don't do it, not after what Hall did for us last season. Prior to last year, it probably makes sense and is as fair as a trade gets 1-for-1, but after last year's performance, no way.  Not a knock on Karlsson, because he still had a pretty good season (though his goal number was down a bit), but Hall really elevated his game last year, and he single-handedly carried our team.  As others mentioned, without Hall, we are a bottom feeder in the league.  Ottawa WAS/is a bottom feeder in the league, even WITH Karlsson.  It's not the same, and I wouldn't even consider trading them 1-for-1 now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall for is very short, it's something like: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and that's kind of it. Then there's players where I think it would be a fair swap, like Matthews or Kucherov, but I wouldn't be trading Hall for a fair swap, we already have arguably the best LW in the National Hockey League.

I'll take a 26 year old Taylor Hall to a 30/31 year old Crosby/Malkin. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll take a 26 year old Taylor Hall to a 30/31 year old Crosby/Malkin. 

I can agree with that sentiment, really though I view McDavid-Crosby-Malkin as the best 3 centers in the NHL, so the only way I'd trade Hall is for a top 3 center is basically all I'm saying. Sid is about 5 years older, but I will say he is an entirely different animal, he can take even the biggest scrubs and turn them into 50-60 point producers on his line. See: Armstrong, Colby; Sheary, Conor; Kunitz, Chris

Edited by CommonDreads
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll take a 26 year old Taylor Hall to a 30/31 year old Crosby/Malkin. 

I was going to say the same. I wouldn't make that trade straight up right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I can agree with that sentiment, really though I view McDavid-Crosby-Malkin as the best 3 centers in the NHL, so the only way I'd trade Hall is for a top 3 center is basically all I'm saying. Sid is about 5 years older, but I will say he is an entirely different animal, he can take even the biggest scrubs and turn them into 50-60 point producers on his line. See: Armstrong, Colby; Sheary, Conor; Kunitz, Chris

I understand. No doubt they might have different/more skill sets. Age is a factor but also my perception of Malking/Crosby is that they are both quiet and void of personality. McDavid comes off as just being salty he is going into year 3 and still hasn't won a cup. Taylor Hall appears to be a natural leader on and off the ice, says the right things, etc. I like him more. Homer bias lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Hall seems to love being a Devil and he's basically the second coming of prime Patrik Elias both on and off the ice.  You don't move that for anything close to even value so basically we're back to that very short list of superstars mentioned by a few others which is unrealistic anyway.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Taylor Hall seems to love being a Devil and he's basically the second coming of prime Patrik Elias both on and off the ice.  You don't move that for anything close to even value so basically we're back to that very short list of superstars mentioned by a few others which is unrealistic anyway.    

i don't feel comparing Hall to Elias is really fair to Elias who had way more defensive responsibilities than Hall. We all know Pat would have had WAY more points if he was not focused on the defensive side of the game so much.

Not a knock on Hall either but you know.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall for is very short, it's something like: McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and that's kind of it. Then there's players where I think it would be a fair swap, like Matthews or Kucherov, but I wouldn't be trading Hall for a fair swap, we already have arguably the best LW in the National Hockey League.

It is kind of funny that I thought of the possibility of Toronto coming to Shero and offering Matthews for Hall if Matthews proves to be difficult in contract negotiations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't feel comparing Hall to Elias is really fair to Elias who had way more defensive responsibilities than Hall. We all know Pat would have had WAY more points if he was not focused on the defensive side of the game so much.

Not a knock on Hall either but you know.. 

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It is kind of funny that I thought of the possibility of Toronto coming to Shero and offering Matthews for Hall if Matthews proves to be difficult in contract negotiations.

This might be totally unfair and just my perception but at this point in his career, I would be worried that Matthews is going to be one of those guys who is always nicked up in some way.     

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

Well Gionta had his best season when season missed half of the season actually, but it's still true that he made everyone around him better

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

There's not a chance in hell I'd trade Hall for Karlsson but if we actually did who the hell is scoring points for us then? The offense would be scary bad.

Exactly. Our 52 point rookie center would have been no better than a 30 point center. Would have been BAD. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said my piece about Hossa's contract before. I think it's nonsense.

But the league ain't changing its rules so.. no point in getting upset about it.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Fair enough.  I personally think Patrik Elias was the most under-rated player of his generation and think he was an absolute superstar, even if he never really got the credit.  I was actually a little bit disappointed that all the talk at his retirement ceremony was about his two way play.  I feel like people forget just how insanely talented he was in the offensive zone, especially when he got to play with other first liners before he typically had to form a second line by himself in the later years to make up for Lou's roster shortcomings.  How much money did guys like Clarkson, Gomez, Arnott, Sykora, and Gionta make off of playing with Elias?   I don't think it was a coincidence that they all had career years playing with him.     

All that being said, my point was that IMO Elias and Hall are the only two forwards we've ever had that didn't really have a major flaw in their game (maybe faceoffs with Elias when he was forced to C) and they both love being Devils.  Also, the way Hall was in on every clutch goal this year was like when Elias used to score almost every OT goal back when it was 5 on 5, or he would score both goals in a 2-1 game 7, or he would set up a stanley cup winning goal with an absolutely perfect blind pass, etc.   IMO, the defensive thing is based on player usage and unlike a Kovachuk, I get the feeling that if Hines asked Hall to focus more on it, he would have given 100% percent to what he was being asked to do and could achieve it.    Long story short, you don't ever move either one unless it's something stupid like McDavid, which isn't happening anyway.     

What was Parise’s major flaw?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

What was Parise’s major flaw?

It wasn't meant to be a shot at Parise, I just never considered his offensive game nearly as dynamic or well rounded as the other two.   Also, he was no where near as clutch IMO.   I always felt like he played every shift during the season like it was a playoff, so he didn't have that other level once the playoffs started.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.