2018 UFA Thread

5 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

My first job out of college, I was drunk and negotiated a higher salary via e-mail. And got it. Their offer was $65k, which was pretty decent for an unlicensed architect. I was drunk and replied "I was looking for $80k for reasons x,y,z". Forgot about it, until the next afternoon I got a new offer at $73k + an extra week of vacation. When I was hired, my hiring manager said I'm the first person he's ever had negotiate a salary directly out of college. 

I was ready to say yes to their first offer.... 

Were you nervous at all about the implied expectations it set for you? (Just now starting my second job after college)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so fvcking livid about this FA period. LeBron signed in LA? Really? Wtf, is Ray doing anything? If I find out Ray didn't even call his agent to inquire about coming to NJ I'm going to be pissed. 

I like to tell people I’m an architect, Art Vandeley.

Others have already hit on this note, but no. Hallsy is younger, healthier, and is coming off his 1st career Hart trophy, certainly wouldn't trade him for Karlsson. The list of players I'd trade Hall

Posted Images

11 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Were you nervous at all about the implied expectations it set for you? (Just now starting my second job after college)

I was pretty confident in my abilities as a young architect; I'd had 4 consecutive summers at demanding offices and 2 consecutive years working full-time in addition to school at one of the largest firms in the world. So I was pretty confident moving in.  

16 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Ugh, you guys are the worst:P.   I'm an architect and every time I try to hire a kid out of school lately, I'm pretty sure they not only want the high salary, they want my office too.    

Overtime, dude! 5 years at architecture school has it ingrained in all of our heads that we're about to be working 70 hours a week at whatever office. If that place offered me the same salary plus time/half overtime, I would have accepted on the spot :)

What type of architecture do you do? 

• Like 1

I'm an architect too haha wow 3 of us on this board, eh?

How the HELL did you get $73K out of school, and when the hell did you get that job? I started right after the recession was cooling down and had to negotiate $36K out of a $29K offer, and that was the only thing available at the time (but yeah, it was Bush's recession, so probably the worst time in decades to enter the field, lucky me, right?)... 

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Ugh, you guys are the worst:P.   I'm an architect and every time I try to hire a kid out of school lately, I'm pretty sure they not only want the high salary, they want my office too.    

Must be something in the water outside of New York City. Over here, going rate still seems to be $35-45K for kids out of school, $60-80K for project manager level (big swing there for if you've been a PM for 2 years vs. 10+). I know there are a lot of jobs out there, but haven't gotten a sense (here in NYC) that pay is significantly up in this field. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

How the HELL did you get $73K out of school, and when the hell did you get that job? I started right after the recession was cooling down and had to negotiate $36K out of a $29K offer, and that was the only thing available at the time (but yeah, it was Bush's recession, so probably the worst time in decades to enter the field, lucky me, right?)... 

Very prominent high-end residential office, in New York City. I graduated 2015. I was top of my class with 2 full years working experience at a very well-known firm, LEED accredited and a letter of rec from the Dean of my school, and had 12 offers from career fair to bounce off of.

TLDR I was a nerd. 

4 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Must be something in the water outside of New York City. Over here, going rate still seems to be $35-45K for kids out of school, $60-80K for project manager level (big swing there for if you've been a PM for 2 years vs. 10+). I know there are a lot of jobs out there, but haven't gotten a sense (here in NYC) that pay is significantly up in this field. 

If you're working for less than $60k in NYC you've gotta get that portfolio out there dog. 

Edited by Kinkyisth3b3st
  • Like 2

You dam architects have zero clue regarding the amount of floor space required to design a properly air conditioned building.. lol.. screw that extra parking space, I need to get chillers, pumps and condenser water pipe in that building... :D

well, done boys.. you got yourselves into a great profession!   

13 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Overtime, dude! 5 years at architecture school has it ingrained in all of our heads that we're about to be working 70 hours a week at whatever office. If that place offered me the same salary plus time/half overtime, I would have accepted on the spot :)

What type of architecture do you do? 

All commercial.  I have a small firm in the Philadelphia suburbs and we do lots of commercial office, retail, some industrial buildings, etc..  

11 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Very cool.  Yeah, your numbers are closer to what I see down here.  It seems like the starting salary out of school rises faster than the salaries of some of the guys I hired in 2011-13 despite my giving the older guys consistent raises every year.   

Sort of unrelated but I just read this in an article yesterday. Players that were taken after Lou drafted Stefan Matteau.

"Here are list of notable skaters that were drafted after Matteau; Tanner Pearson (Los Angeles, 30); Colton Parayko (St. Louis, 86); Shayne Gostisbehere (Philadelphia, 78) Matt Murray (Pittsburgh, 83); Connor Hellebuyck"

Especially Hellebuyck. Wow, I wish we could have that pick back.

Edited by slasher72
1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Sort of unrelated but I just read this in an article yesterday. Players that were taken after Lou drafted Stefan Matteau.

"Here are list of notable skaters that were drafted after Matteau; Tanner Pearson (Los Angeles, 30); Colton Parayko (St. Louis, 86); Shayne Gostisbehere (Philadelphia, 78) Matt Murray (Pittsburgh, 83); Connor Hellebuyck"

Hindsight is always 20/20 when it comes to draft picks. Matteau went just about where he was projected. Yeah, we passed on Pearson. But so did 28 other teams. How many teams passed on Parayko, Gotisbehere, Murray, or Hellebuyck 2 or 3 times?

And if you flip it the other way, I'm sure a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on Marty. Hell, Kidd and Potvin went before him. I bet the Sharks wish they took Niedermayer instead of Pat Falloon. Parise at 17th overall in 2003 was another.  

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 when it comes to draft picks. Matteau went just about where he was projected. Yeah, we passed on Pearson. But so did 28 other teams. How many teams passed on Parayko, Gotisbehere, Murray, or Hellebuyck 2 or 3 times?

And if you flip it the other way, I'm sure a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on Marty. Hell, Kidd and Potvin went before him. I bet the Sharks wish they took Niedermayer instead of Pat Falloon. Parise at 17th overall in 2003 was another.  

I just went back and looked at every draft since 2000. There were a ton of those 20/20 situations. Best to not bother looking. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, slasher72 said:

You can’t judge any draft, in any year, that way.   It’s like looking back at the weather...  you can only project so much.

Pearson is fair, the others were missed by everybody in the second too; so it’s really unfair to say Lou should have reached in the first for them...    especially when GMs get mocked for reaching ten spots away from consensus rankings.

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well to be fair in 2003 you could be blindfolded and throw a dart at the selection board and get a superstar lol

• Like 1
10 hours ago, aylbert said:

You can’t judge any draft, in any year, that way.   It’s like looking back at the weather...  you can only project so much.

Pearson is fair, the others were missed by everybody in the second too; so it’s really unfair to say Lou should have reached in the first for them...    especially when GMs get mocked for reaching ten spots away from consensus rankings.

The obsession over Tanner Pearson was weird 3 years ago but it's even weirder now.  Pearson was a double-overager.  Those players almost never get selected as high as he was.  And yeah, he's turned into a nice player, but nothing that really changes the Devils' fortunes one way or another.  He turns 26 in a month, he's scored 20 goals once; he's a slightly above average NHL forward.

you also can't look at how a player turned out and just assume he would've been the same player on another team.

there is team specific development, linemates, and of course, luck.

more often than not, a good player is going to be a good player regardless of who drafts him but i wouldn't say it's like 80/20 that way. more like 60/40.

• Like 1

yeah i remember way back looking at stats and draft reports on Matteau and Pearson and they were not really that much different. 

All i remember is going to see Matteau playing in juniors after we drafted him and he was on the 3rd line eventhough he was bigger than most guys... it certainly gave me a pause

By definition everyone misjudges a great player selected after a certain point in the draft.  You judge a team’s ability to draft by looking at things over a certain period of time especially if they’re drafting the same type of player.  At some point you need to show you have a crystal ball.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

By definition everyone misjudges a great player selected after a certain point in the draft.  You judge a team’s ability to draft by looking at things over a certain period of time especially if they’re drafting the same type of player.  At some point you need to show you have a crystal ball.

Thing is, if we do that... it was also very bad. We kept Conte for too long i feel

Edited by SterioDesign