Best Season From a Devils Player? (Poll)

Derlique

Best Season from a Devil Ever?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Best Season from a Devil Ever?

• Taylor Hall's 17-18 Season
    • Zach Parise's 08-09 Season
    • Brian Gionta's 05-06 Season
    • Scott Niedermayer's 03-04
    • Patrik Elias' 00-01 Season
    • Martin Brodeur's 06-07 Season
    • Scott Stevens' 93-94 Season
    • Other (name it!)

Alright folks, we are officially in the dog days of summer, so I thought this was an interesting topic. Who had the best single season as a Devil? Justify your answer! Below, I'll write a quick blurb of the options:

Taylor Hall's 17-18 Season: 39g, 54a, 93pts- In a season where NJ had no business making the playoffs, Taylor Hall willed the Devils to the postseason. Scoring 41 more points than second place Nico Hischier, Hall captured the first Hart Trophy in Devils history. 

Zach Parise's 08-09 Season: 45g, 49a, 94pts- Parise finished just three goals shy of Gionta's single season record and two points shy of Elias' points record. He was the driver of one of the best lines in hockey that year and played a complete, two-way game.

Martin Brodeur's 06-07 Season: 48 wins, 2.28gaa, .922sv%- I was debating between this season and 96-97 (his stats were sick that year). But I have to give the nod to the season where he set the NHL single season wins record, won the Vezina and was a Hart finalist. 

Brian Gionta's 05-06 Season: 48g, 41a, 89pts- Gionta set the franchise record in goals in the year after the lockout. It was the year of the PP, but that shouldn't diminish Gionta's record setting season. His breakout was a major reason NJ had that late surge and made the playoffs.

Scott Niedermayer's 03-04 Season: 14g, 40a, 54pts- Losing Scott Stevens to injury midway thru the year, Niedermayer played an absurd 26 minutes per game. He won the franchise's first and only Norris Trophy before leaving for Anaheim. 

Patrik Elias' 00-01 Season: 40g, 56a, 96pts- Setting the franchise record in points, Elias finished third in league scoring , sixth in Hart voting, and eighth in Selke voting. He was the catalyst of the Devils' best line. 

Scott Stevens' 93-94 Season: 18g, 60a, 78pts- I was too young to watch Stevens this year and process anything, but from a statistical standpoint, any time a defenseman approaches ppg, it's a special season, regardless of era. 

• Like 1

I know it's easy to pick Hall because he's the flavor of the month - but he carried this team which without him wouldn't of been nearly as good nor entertaining imo.

all the others were great too.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

I think it's gotta be Hall's 2017-18, but many worthy choices here.

One that's up there for me is Elias' 2003-04.  In some ways, that might've been Elias' most impressive season...much Iike Hall, he was damn near stubborn about finding a way to produce.

• Like 1

Another vote for Hall. All of those other great seasons were had on great teams. Taylor was the only show in town. I’ve never seen another single season among any of my teams for as long as I’ve been watching sports where a guy took the whole team on his back and marched them into the playoffs. 

For me, it’s not even close. 

24 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Hall is my choice. 

Marty's 2006-2007 season was also very impressive. Also worth noting that 1/4 of his wins that season were shutouts (12), which is a pretty nice stat.

During that ridiculous first couple years post-lockout where they were calling EVERYTHING too. 

I voted Hall though. Still can’t believe a Devil actually won the Hart. So awesome. 

Hall squeaks in just ahead of Parise in 08/09 for me. Halls numbers speak for themselves. While Parise did have more helps than Hall, it’s easy to forget that was the year Marty got hurt and there was an enormous sense of impending doom. 

Maybe I was young and dumb, but I thought and still think that was one of the best teams ever to be iced in NJ. If Sutter didn’t have an absolute hard on for matching Pando-Madden-Shanny on Staal, I’d like to think that team could’ve went a lot deeper. fvckin Sutter

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, Nicomo said:

During that ridiculous first couple years post-lockout where they were calling EVERYTHING too. 

I voted Hall though. Still can’t believe a Devil actually won the Hart. So awesome. 

Without TH9 playing to his talent level, NJD is just an okay team.  The sky's the limit if others play to their level, too.

Hall squeaks in just ahead of Parise in 08/09 for me. Halls numbers speak for themselves. While Parise did have more helps than Hall, it’s easy to forget that was the year Marty got hurt and there was an enormous sense of impending doom. 
Maybe I was young and dumb, but I thought and still think that was one of the best teams ever to be iced in NJ. If Sutter didn’t have an absolute hard on for matching Pando-Madden-Shanny on Staal, I’d like to think that team could’ve went a lot deeper. fvckin Sutter
I actually really liked Shanahan when he was here. A Jagr like player

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

On 7/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, RizzMB30 said:

I actually really liked Shanahan when he was here. A Jagr like player

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

I did too. I don’t think he should have played more minutes than Elias, Gionta, Zubrus, Zajac, and even Brian Rolston in an elimination game. Look at this sh!t, it makes me sick to think about. Poor coaching.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200904280NJD.html

5 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I did too. I don’t think he should have played more minutes than Elias, Gionta, Zubrus, Zajac, and even Brian Rolston in an elimination game. Look at this sh!t, it makes me sick to think about. Poor coaching.

He assisted on 2 of the 3 goals scored. It’s not like he was doing nothing. 

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He assisted on 2 of the 3 goals scored. It’s not like he was doing nothing. 

True but our best player coming off of a 94-point season played 18:11 that game (for 6th overall on the team) at home, with the last change.  That shouldn't happen.  Eric Staal was third on Carolina in that game with over 23 minutes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Did you just bring up the game that shall not be brought up ?! 

Scott Stevens in 1994. If metrics existed during this time I believe they may have been much more favorable to Stevens than Bourque. Ray had 39 ESP, 53 PPP and was a +26. Stevens had 52 ESP, 26 PPP and was a +53. His season was miles better than Bourques 5 on 5. Give Stevens Oates's 112 points or Neely's 50 goals in 49 games and see what Stevens new numbers would be. In today's game it is the equivilant of Ryan McDonaugh putting up 70 points next season with 2nd PP minutes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

The first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title was Gio's 06 season, so that's what I voted for, but honestly it's probably Taylor. 

That last night of hockey watching the Rags blow it, the Devils win the division and knowing I had tickets to that first playoff game was so much fun