Rick Kowalsky and Mike Grier named assistant coaches

MadDog2020

Interesting hires.  I wonder who is going to run the power play - I guess Kowalsky?  I was going to say that it sounds like Grier is going to replace Clowe, but I'm not entirely clear on what Clowe's role was with the team.

FYI MD2020, you can edit the title of threads you start.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Interesting hires.  I wonder who is going to run the power play - I guess Kowalsky?  I was going to say that it sounds like Grier is going to replace Clowe, but I'm not entirely clear on what Clowe's role was with the team.
FYI MD2020, you can edit the title of threads you start.

I just tried to edit, but it said I couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I just tried to edit, but it said I couldn’t.

Oh, probably because you're using Tapatalk.  I just tried to edit the most recent topic I made on here and it seemed like it was going to let me do it.  Anyway, I think anyone reading the thread will see the news.

I was trying to figure out the connection between anyone on the Devils and Grier, since this is the way basically anyone ever gets hired in this league  - Gulitti says Hynes was teammates with Grier at Boston University.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Oh, probably because you're using Tapatalk.  I just tried to edit the most recent topic I made on here and it seemed like it was going to let me do it.  Anyway, I think anyone reading the thread will see the news.

I was trying to figure out the connection between anyone on the Devils and Grier, since this is the way basically anyone ever gets hired in this league  - Gulitti says Hynes was teammates with Grier at Boston University.

Yep, just went to the site and was able to edit. Thanks for the heads up! 

Kowalski is a great guy who demands respect from his players. He's been a winner at every level and has always worked his ass off. In the past he's always been an offensive minded coach. Although he learned the importance of protecting the house from Haviland along the way. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, dmann422 said:

can either of them turn Mueller into a top pairing D? Would help fill a hole...

Are they psychiatrists ?  Looks to me like mirco's problems are between the ears... the kid has a solid skill set and good size... I saw him panic under pressure and then get scratched... that can't help..

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

Kowalski is a great guy who demands respect from his players. He's been a winner at every level and has always worked his ass off. In the past he's always been an offensive minded coach. Although he learned the importance of protecting the house from Haviland along the way. 

Could you elaborate on the last part?

Good to see a hard working success story, working the way up from playing in the E to an assistant coach in the League. Went to a couple titan games as a kid. 

20 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Could you elaborate on the last part?

Good to see a hard working success story, working the way up from playing in the E to an assistant coach in the League. Went to a couple titan games as a kid. 

Sure - Kowalsky was a great two way player at the ECHL level.  Early on he got some time in the AHL.  Having a family he choose to pass on any short term call-ups that came his way over the last 5 or so years of his career.  He dominated at times in Trenton and was clearly the leader on and off the ice.  In 04-05 the year they won the championship, Rick went down with a groin injury in Jan-feb and was told his season was over.  The team tanked and at one point was a handful of points out of the playoffs.  He wasn't going to let that happen so he came back, basically on one leg.  You could see him cringe with every movement.  After returning the Titans went on a tear and the rest was history, it truly was a storybook run.

Haviland was a star at the ECHL level having won the cup with AC the year before.  He had a long running relationship with the Berman's who owned the titans, he was an assistant years prior.  He was the definition of a players coach who treated his players like family but demanded every player leave it all on the ice every night, every shift.  Kowalsky had planned on retiring after the 03-04 season down in VA, however one phone call from Haviland was all it took to change his mind to uproot his family and come to the Titans.  Haviland dangled the carrot of a coaching role after the season.

The team made a DVD that covered all the playoff series but what I found more interesting than the on ice footage was the behind the scenes locker room stuff.  Although I got to say the trash talk on the ice and bench was pretty damn good! Haviland must of said protect the cage 5 times before each game and between each period.  Followed by a what are we gonna do out there..... Kowalsky would stand up and call guys out without hesitation.  There were a couple of tough periods through the series where they struggled and Haviland either had them sit on the bench for the first five minutes of the intermissions or he ripped them for two mins and walked out leaving Rick to take over. The league was stacked that year because of the lockout, so some of the guys he hammered were Flyers contracted guys everybody was fair game.  It was all about accountability at both ends of the ice.

Sorry for the length of the post here, the Titans were a huge part of my hockey life.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Thanks for the info, Titans. I was in 8th grade when they won the Kelly Cup and begged my old man to go to as many games as possible. Fun times, fun team. They had some cool uniforms and the games were fiesty as hell. 

yes!  they had more than a handful of guys that played with an edge and laid hits up and down the ice.

Here a link to the game 5 finals highlights.  Kowalsky one of a few players who speak.  They had won the first 2 games down in FL and came home and lost the next 2, game 5 was huge and was the turning point.  Coming back after going down 2-0 in that game.  Not that anybody cares but Andrew Allen the Titans goalie is now the Sabers NHL goalie coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZBDgL8TFTg

Edited by titans04

8 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'm almost positive  that Nasreddine runs the power-play. Hall gave Alain a ton of credit in an interview during the season, saying essentially "I was a terrible Powerplay guy until Alain shifted me to my off-wing and told me to simplify my decision-making...now I feel so much more comfortable".

Paraphrasing based off of an interview I heard 5 months ago; but I'm almost certain he pointed at Nasreddine. 

Ward ran the power play, Nasreddine runs the penalty kill.