Devils to wear original whites as Alternate Jerseys for 2018-19

Devils Pride 26

Alternate Jerseys  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Throwback based or black based?

• Throwback
    • Black

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I like it, but don’t see the point in doing that instead of just our regular retros. 

I'm kinda in the same boat...at first I was like "I'm digging 'em, but I'd prefer more rounded shoulder yokes..."  And that turned into "Well, might as well just go with the Xmas classic whites".  But I do like the design.

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

Since it's the summer and nothing else is going on, here is another concept I found.  This is for all of you guys asking for a white retro third.  I personally hate the red/green combination of our past, but these look sharp af.DkVSBIRU4AAWuh4.jpg

Even though it's blasphemy this color combination always made me throw up a little.   

19 hours ago, Crisis said:

Since it's the summer and nothing else is going on, here is another concept I found.  This is for all of you guys asking for a white retro third.  I personally hate the red/green combination of our past, but these look sharp af.DkVSBIRU4AAWuh4.jpg

Hot damn I'd buy one of those.  

It's weird, and definitely wouldn't want to see it every night or whatever.  But as a third jersey, sign me up.

16 hours ago, titans04 said:

Even though it's blasphemy this color combination always made me throw up a little.   

I would never go that far, but I am surprised at the level that some fans seem to pine for them and want them back as the regular unis.  I thought the red and blacks were a massive improvement at the time, and so did damned near everyone else...if there was any mass outcry over the color scheme change, I definitely wasn't aware of it, and since I lived about 20 mins away from the Meadowlands at the time, I was going to a LOT of games.  I think what happens in time is that some people like prefer "old" simply by virtue of something simply being old...I'm guilty of it too sometimes (especially with music).  The red and greens are probably loved a lot more now than they ever were then.   

But I keep crossing my fingers that we may see the old home whites as the 3rd.  As much as I would never want the old design and colors coming back as the primaries, I would love to see the whites on the ice again as 3rds.  Would be even cooler if they went with the original "skinny" number font from the 1982-83 season (and a few seasons beyond...I would also be fine with the "bolder" font that came in the late 80s).  That was one of the things I didn't like about the recent red and green retros...you had two different fonts used for the pre-red and blacks (one "skinnier" and one "bolder/thicker", as mentioned), and the retros used the (then) current red and black font.  It sounds kooky/nitpicky but that (and the white Edge flap) took something away from that batch of retros for me. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would never go that far, but I am surprised at the level that some fans seem to pine for them and want them back as the regular unis.  I thought the red and blacks were a massive improvement at the time, and so did damned near everyone else...if there was any mass outcry over the color scheme change, I definitely wasn't aware of it, and since I lived about 20 mins away from the Meadowlands at the time, I was going to a LOT of games.  I think what happens in time is that some people like prefer "old" simply by virtue of something simply being old...I'm guilty of it too sometimes (especially with music).  The red and greens are probably loved a lot more now than they ever were then.   

But I keep crossing my fingers that we may see the old home whites as the 3rd.  As much as I would never want the old design and colors coming back as the primaries, I would love to see the whites on the ice again as 3rds.  Would be even cooler if they went with the original "skinny" number font from the 1982-83 season (and a few seasons beyond...I would also be fine with the "bolder" font that came in the late 80s).  That was one of the things I didn't like about the recent red and green retros...you had two different fonts used for the pre-red and blacks (one "skinnier" and one "bolder/thicker", as mentioned), and the retros used the (then) current red and black font.  It sounds kooky/nitpicky but that (and the white Edge flap) took something away from that batch of retros for me. 

I'm in for the red/black and whites all day, polar opposite than the greens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The value of things can change over time, it might not just be an interest solely for their vintage character. Just because people didn't like them a quarter century ago doesn't mean sensibilities don't change. I wasn't around for them to be nostalgic for me, but I like them. I might not have liked them in 92, but I also might have liked mullets and technicolor spandex (I assume that's what was going on at that point). 

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

The value of things can change over time, it might not just be an interest solely for their vintage character. Just because people didn't like them a quarter century ago doesn't mean sensibilities don't change. I wasn't around for them to be nostalgic for me, but I like them. I might not have liked them in 92, but I also might have liked mullets and technicolor spandex (I assume that's what was going on at that point). 

Never said nor implied that the red and greens were ever disliked at the time.  But the switch to both black and the new layout in general were definitely lauded, with very few objecting. 

Look, of course the reason I provided isn't THE one and only reason, but you do see your fair share of various items being celebrated simply due to age somehow making them more glamorously nostalgic.  That happens a lot.  The same thing happened with the Sabres unis...the original design was fine, but not one that really stood out as being anything that special...the franchise goes to a full re-design in 1996, with entirely new colors (red and black of course), then about 10 years later comes Buffaslug, then suddenly you hear a lot of talk about how awesome the original Sabres unis were (the fact that they were a 3rd jersey during Buffaslug's first season probably made the pining for them that much stronger)...the current jerseys are similar to the originals, though evolved (different shade of blue, added number above the crest, enlarged stripes, etc).  But again, no outcry at the time...hell, I think there was a much stronger opposition when the Devils made their design changes in going from the 2.0s to the Adidases.    

Mullets were pretty much toast by 1990-91...that was more of a mid-late 80s thing (I had one for a while back then, though no one actually called that style a "mullet" at the time).  Nirvana and grunge in general took a wrecking ball to whatever leftover 80s trends were still on life support in the early 90s.  As someone who lived through it, I've always told people who think of "the stereotypical 80s" are really thinking of the time period from 1984-91.  1990 still felt very 80s...1991 definitely less so, but there was still enough of a late 80s feel in the air.  1980 and 1981 still had a general 70s vibe, and 1982-83 felt like transition years, as the 70s were finally being phased out...MTV definitely helped with that transition, as now tweens and teens (and even older people) suddenly had both a music AND fashion channel to be influenced by, that they could turn on anytime, anywhere...lots of looks and styles to emulate.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

By 92/93 mullets were only largely popular down in the South.  Didn't really see people wear them much at all here in NJ.

Rat tails on the other hand....

I was literally thinking of this as I was reading coffeecake's post.  We just called them 'tails', and sadly, I'm ashamed to say I had one. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never said nor implied that the red and greens were ever disliked at the time.  But the switch to both black and the new layout in general were definitely lauded, with very few objecting. 

Look, of course the reason I provided isn't THE one and only reason, but you do see your fair share of various items being celebrated simply due to age somehow making them more glamorously nostalgic.  That happens a lot.  The same thing happened with the Sabres unis...the original design was fine, but not one that really stood out as being anything that special...the franchise goes to a full re-design in 1996, with entirely new colors (red and black of course), then about 10 years later comes Buffaslug, then suddenly you hear a lot of talk about how awesome the original Sabres unis were (the fact that they were a 3rd jersey during Buffaslug's first season probably made the pining for them that much stronger)...the current jerseys are similar to the originals, though evolved (different shade of blue, added number above the crest, enlarged stripes, etc).  But again, no outcry at the time...hell, I think there was a much stronger opposition when the Devils made their design changes in going from the 2.0s to the Adidases.    

Mullets were pretty much toast by 1990-91...that was more of a mid-late 80s thing (I had one for a while back then, though no one actually called that style a "mullet" at the time).  Nirvana and grunge in general took a wrecking ball to whatever leftover 80s trends were still on life support in the early 90s.  As someone who lived through it, I've always told people who think of "the stereotypical 80s" are really thinking of the time period from 1984-91.  1990 still felt very 80s...1991 definitely less so, but there was still enough of a late 80s feel in the air.  1980 and 1981 still had a general 70s vibe, and 1982-83 felt like transition years, as the 70s were finally being phased out...MTV definitely helped with that transition, as now tweens and teens (and even older people) suddenly had both a music AND fashion channel to be influenced by, that they could turn on anytime, anywhere...lots of looks and styles to emulate.   

You're right, vintage always has value, but I think the "modernized classic" is what the style is right now, and more people simply prefer the traditional designs over the 90's-00's sleek animation look. The 90's definitely trended away from the traditional looking sweaters, and I think it's just going the other way, i'm sure in part because vintage is valuable and in part because that's what people like now. 

I think when you look back on the history of uniforms, you'll see this transition as just leaving a period of gaudy experimentation. I'm not so sure I see all the moves over the last 8+ years as being a retro trend necessarily, but teams moving out of that experimental phase and returning to their traditional visual brands. I mean Buffalo, the Isles, the Oilers, Vancouver, Washington, even Toronto, all did the same thing, and it stuck. It wasn't an easily settled nostalgic itch, it was what fans seem to prefer long term. 

But the trends will change again, and the league and Adidas will be eager to make money every year on new designs. 

I like the greens, vintage or not. I think it's a good homage to our state's cultural history, unique, and I like the color combination personally. 

Edited by thecoffeecake
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

You're right, vintage always has value, but I think the "modernized classic" is what the style is right now, and more people simply prefer the traditional designs over the 90's-00's sleek animation look. The 90's definitely trended away from the traditional looking sweaters, and I think it's just going the other way, i'm sure in part because vintage is valuable and in part because that's what people like now. 

I think when you look back on the history of uniforms, you'll see this transition as just leaving a period of gaudy experimentation. I'm not so sure I see all the moves over the last 8+ years as being a retro trend necessarily, but teams moving out of that experimental phase and returning to their traditional visual brands. I mean Buffalo, the Isles, the Oilers, Vancouver, Washington, even Toronto, all did the same thing, and it stuck. It wasn't an easily settled nostalgic itch, it was what fans seem to prefer long term. 

But the trends will change again, and the league and Adidas will be eager to make money every year on new designs. 

I like the greens, vintage or not. I think it's a good homage to our state's cultural history, unique, and I like the color combination personally. 

I agree in that I think "bold" designs (and in some cases, fonts) have definitely given way to more classic looks (though like you point out, classic "modernized").  We're seeing now that some of those 90's designs haven't aged well at all (the original Coyote jerseys come to mind instantly).  One thing about "classic and relatively simple" is that it definitely holds up longer than "bold and/or experimental"...hell, we saw that with the Fire and Ice Lounges.  The Fishsticks and Buffaslugs are never going to remembered fondly.  I'd love to know how Sabres fans feel about their old red and blacks...that was SUCH a departure from their previous look. 

I like that the Devils never went through a bold phase...you basically had the originals, then an evolution that improved upon them.  I don't have anything against the red and greens, and sure, they pay homage to NJ, but I would never ever want to see them become the Devils' full-time unis...I find them more dated (even a little cartoony, given the color scheme) than classic.  The red and blacks that the Devils wore through 1992-2017 were just perfectly designed...very clean, and very much a classic look that never felt out of style...it simply held up through many years.  I won't be surprised if the Devils eventually go back to a modernized version of them, say in 5 years or so.  I think the masses have accepted the current design, but I don't think many prefer it to the last one.  I think even the fans who have gotten used to the new ones wouldn't be heartbroken to see them go in the not-too-distant future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I agree in that I think "bold" designs (and in some cases, fonts) have definitely given way to more classic looks (though like you point out, classic "modernized").  We're seeing now that some of those 90's designs haven't aged well at all (the original Coyote jerseys come to mind instantly).  One thing about "classic and relatively simple" is that it definitely holds up longer than "bold and/or experimental"...hell, we saw that with the Fire and Ice Lounges.  The Fishsticks and Buffaslugs are never going to remembered fondly.  I'd love to know how Sabres fans feel about their old red and blacks...that was SUCH a departure from their previous look. 

I like that the Devils never went through a bold phase...you basically had the originals, then an evolution that improved upon them.  I don't have anything against the red and greens, and sure, they pay homage to NJ, but I would never ever want to see them become the Devils' full-time unis...I find them more dated (even a little cartoony, given the color scheme) than classic.  The red and blacks that the Devils wore through 1992-2017 were just perfectly designed...very clean, and very much a classic look that never felt out of style...it simply held up through many years.  I won't be surprised if the Devils eventually go back to a modernized version of them, say in 5 years or so.  I think the masses have accepted the current design, but I don't think many prefer it to the last one.  I think even the fans who have gotten used to the new ones wouldn't be heartbroken to see them go in the not-too-distant future. 

From a few years back, I know once the current uniforms took over the buffa-slugs, only a handful of people wanted the goathead red/blacks back.

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

Main reds were the swords, technically yes.

The reds were the alternate.

Also I didn't realize until fairly recently, but the old "goat-head" white Buffalo jerseys did have a second buffalo head in it.  Take a look at the outline of the white part of the jersey that forms most of the body in the home white jersey.  It is an outline of a buffalo head.

Buffalo-Sabres-1996-2000-Jerseys.png?res

Oh sh!t, I also never caught that.

Those jerseys weren't bad, but do feel very 90s now.  Was kind of weird how the Sabres completely dumped their previous color scheme in that redesign...towards the end of the 90s into the 00s, there was definitely a lot of red-and-blacks (Devils, Blackhawks, Hurricanes, Sabres, Sens, and the Flames eventually had a third jersey that was primarily red and black).

And man were there some scary jerseys back then...oh my these thirds:

http://nhluniforms.com/1998-99/Lightning.html

http://nhluniforms.com/1998-99/Coyotes.html

Those Lightning "Storm" jerseys and the Coyotes "Desert" jerseys are now pretty collectible, especially the Storm ones.  Same goes for the Burger King and the Wild Wing.

Best specialty jerseys that came out in the late 90's was in 96-97 when the Leafs wore a throwback "barberpole" style jersey complete without nameplates.  They only wore it for I think only 2 games.

http://nhluniforms.com/1996-97/MapleLeafs.html

Edited by DevsMan84