Devils to wear original whites as Alternate Jerseys for 2018-19

Devils Pride 26

Alternate Jerseys  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Throwback based or black based?

• Throwback
    • Black

56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I like those much better than the current Adidas. Been wanting a Nico so this might be a way to get one in a jersey I actually like. Wonder if the GI’s of these will be more expensive because of how infrequently they’ll be wearing them? 

I like the overall design better than the current jersey.  I just don't like the green at all.

• Like 1

I liked that we only saw the old jerseys for one special night a year. It made it cooler. Something new would have been nice, but I'm biased. I don't care for the green either. Also, was born in 89 and didn't watch hockey until 2000 so these old jerseys don't give me the feels like other people.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I was wondering if this was considered a true third or just a special, limited use jersey. So this isn't quite "bringing back" this uniform, it's really just a handful of retro nights. 

Well, duh, did anyone here really think that the Devils were replacing the current full-time whites with these?  As far as I'm concerned, the second a jersey like this one is used in a regular season game, it's been "brought back", regardless of the "heritage/true third" semantics.  Of course we knew these retro-inspired whites were only going to be worn for a very limited number of games.  I like that it's four games too (if anything I thought it might be 3 or less)...not too many, just enough.  Gives fans a solid number of opportunities to see them either in person at the Rock or on TV. 

I don't need to see them used forever, but I'd be good with 3-4 seasons, at 4X per season.  Would have been cool to see one of the older number fonts used (there were two, as has been discussed...think the "skinny" number font was ditched for the "bold" in 1986-87 or perhaps one season earlier), but oh well.  Still cool regardless.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, duh, did anyone here really think that the Devils were replacing the current full-time whites with these?  As far as I'm concerned, the second a jersey like this one is used in a regular season game, it's been "brought back", regardless of the "heritage/true third" semantics.  Of course we knew these retro-inspired whites were only going to be worn for a very limited number of games.  I like that it's four games too (if anything I thought it might be 3 or less)...not too many, just enough.  Gives fans a solid number of opportunities to see them either in person at the Rock or on TV. 

I don't need to see them used forever, but I'd be good with 3-4 seasons, at 4X per season.  Would have been cool to see one of the older number fonts used (there were two, as has been discussed...think the "skinny" number font was ditched for the "bold" in 1986-87 or perhaps one season earlier), but oh well.  Still cool regardless.

Yup from what I remember it was around 1987 they ditched the skinny font.

Also, FWIW, the old skinny font was actually used as a form of cost/labor cutting by Gerry Cosby.  It was the exact same font as the Rangers (a team they also did at the time) just without the drop shadow.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Also, FWIW, the old skinny font was actually used as a form of cost/labor cutting by Gerry Cosby.  It was the exact same font as the Rangers (a team they also did at the time) just without the drop shadow.

Eeew that's gross. Just goes to show you, you can never trust a guy named Cosby. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Well, thank goodness.

Let's just cut to the chase and GO BACK full time to these awesome, beautiful unis already.

The old were the best unis in the league

I could handle that. Do the retros as our full time jerseys, and then in a few years, casually go back to the red and black with proper striping as if they had never been eliminated. Then they can just go with "we're bringing them back!" as opposed to "Oops, sorry we changed them". 

i never liked the green and red jerseys. It's only my personal taste, not saying it's ugly or wtv, i just prefer black and red so much more. I think it's cool when they go back to that for nostalgic reasons and all but i wouldnt want them as our main jerseys for sure

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I feel like going back to the green full time would cause quite an uproar by the fan base.

Well if this year's jerseys showed us anything, its that they don't give a sh!t about that. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well if this year's jerseys showed us anything, its that they don't give a sh!t about that. 

I don't feel like there was that much uproar about the jerseys, sure a lot of us here, myself included, didn't like them and would talk about it here but that's about as far as I'd go complaining about them...

Switching back to green full time would have me emailing my rep and as many people in the front office as possible. 

Red & Black = championships and success 

Red & Green = mostly a laughing stock with a nice run here and there, mickey mouse and xmas 

Just how I see it but thankfully I don't think we will ever switch back to green full time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I feel like going back to the green full time would cause quite an uproar by the fan base. I'd hate it. 4x a year is perfect.

I think the only way I'd ever be OK with green full time would be if it was a VERY dark green...almost like a green-black.  I would never want the 80s-early 90s red and (brighter) greens to come back as the primaries.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of a red and black with the old red and green striping layout (and with the upper white border "piece of tape" stripe on the sleeves eliminated).  Just think it would have a classic, clean look to it.  If the Devils ever dumped their current reds for those, I'd consider that an upgrade.  Not realistically expecting that of course...

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Did not know that.  Interesting in that I think those skinny numbers were so skinny that I think they were designed with having a drop shadow in mind...those skinny-font numbers always did look a bit odd...the switch to bold was a welcome improvement. 

20 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't feel like there was that much uproar about the jerseys, sure a lot of us here, myself included, didn't like them and would talk about it here but that's about as far as I'd go complaining about them...

Switching back to green full time would have me emailing my rep and as many people in the front office as possible. 

Red & Black = championships and success 

Red & Green = mostly a laughing stock with a nice run here and there, mickey mouse and xmas 

Just how I see it but thankfully I don't think we will ever switch back to green full time. 

lol you haven't been on social media then

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Is there still a lot of that going on?  It feels like though a fair number of fans would still prefer the previous red and blacks, many of those who weren't thrilled originally have grown to, well at the very least, not hate these as much as they did. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is there still a lot of that going on?  It feels like though a fair number of fans would still prefer the previous red and blacks, many of those who weren't thrilled originally have grown to, well at the very least, not hate these as much as they did. 

It has died down but there is still some.  A very vocal minority is still going on about them.

There is also an even bigger sized crowd who hate the white retros and are going on and on about how they should have a black third.

20 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

You either didn't pay attention or didn't read everything. There are STILL people complaining about them and saying that they will never buy one. Here and elsewhere. 

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Who doesn't like Mickey Mouse and Christmas? ;)

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

There are a lot of very miserable people on social media. I don't think the team is particularly interested in their opinions. Most normal people said "oh, a jersey change. I like it/don't like it" and then went on with their lives. 

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Social media isn't still a real outrage to me for something that is really just a trivial issue, it's one thing to take two seconds and post I hate this, social media is generally people bitching and moaning anyway lol but it's another thing to try to be active enough to actually change something.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Social media isn't still a real outrage to me for something that is really just a trivial issue, it's one thing to take two seconds and post I hate this, social media is generally people bitching and moaning anyway lol but it's another thing to try to be active enough to actually change something.

Have to agree with that. Like 90% of social media is either people talking about themselves (and I don't care), or complaining/false outrage. Another 5% is acting tough behind the safety of your computer screen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree with that. Like 90% of social media is either people talking about themselves (and I don't care), or complaining/false outrage. Another 5% is acting tough behind the safety of your computer screen. 

I think you are being conservative there.

A couple years back there was an older gentleman whom every time someone disagreed with him, even gently, he would get pissed enough to tell the poster to tell him the same thing to his face at the arena at an upcoming game.  He did this several times.  Guy was in his late 50's and he would be threatening 16-25 year olds lol.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think you are being conservative there.

A couple years back there was an older gentleman whom every time someone disagreed with him, even gently, he would get pissed enough to tell the poster to tell him the same thing to his face at the arena at an upcoming game.  He did this several times.  Guy was in his late 50's and he would be threatening 16-25 year olds lol.

Ok, ts 90% talking about yourself, 25% being tough, 50% pictures of your food, 80% pictures of your pets, and 50% people trying and failing to get laid. 

Add that up and social media is 295% stupid. 

• Haha 3

One thing the heritage jersey does is make me realize how much better the new red & blacks would look with wider shoulder yokes.  Dare to dream...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't know where in those two sentences I wrote you were able to conclude that I was implying the status of the primary jersey was ever in question. No, in case you weren't able to discern the tone of the conversation we've been having about the jerseys, no one thought after one season with new uniforms the team was switching to green as a primary scheme. 

On the other hand, there was no way to know whether these would be a true third or have this "heritage" title. Most of us didn't know there was an official distinction. We were all under the assumption we were getting a new third jersey, not what boils down to a special event jersey to be worn a few more times a year than the red greens. There is a huge difference between bringing a jersey back into permanent rotation or wearing it as a throwback on rare occasions or special events. 

Late to the party but these look great.  Very happy, can't wait to see these in action.

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing the heritage jersey does is make me realize how much better the new red & blacks would look with wider shoulder yokes.  Dare to dream...

That was my biggest gripe about the new unis.. the lack of a lower horizontal stripe was annoying, I thought the missing yokes were the biggest eyesore.

• Like 1