Devils to wear original whites as Alternate Jerseys for 2018-19

Devils Pride 26

Alternate Jerseys  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Throwback based or black based?

• Throwback
    • Black

On 7/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, thecoffeecake said:

Right, you explained what tradition isn't. The thing is, the Devils very deliberately didn't make changes. However many years you spent slapping your d1ck against a wall doesn't hold value here, possibly for the first time. 

Well my thing ,which I didn't really say well because I wanted the joke, is to do something or not do something just because its tradition or the way its always been is stupid. Do it because it has value, because the other way is worse, or because its fun even if it takes more work. You can have a preference to not want a black third and that's fine but to use "tradition" as the reason just doesn't sit well with me

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

This mock up of the retro jersey with black would be pretty sweet. Unfortunately I can't imagine it would ever happen.7914769ecfcd0e8d54cdddcce17a30bc.jpg

Yes, this is it. I love this idea. If it has to be something, I think this works, especially with the new jerseys being so much different than these now. It's a different enough look, especially with the red helmets, and something new for ownership to sell.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 10:49 AM, Crisis said:

This mock up of the retro jersey with black would be pretty sweet. Unfortunately I can't imagine it would ever happen.7914769ecfcd0e8d54cdddcce17a30bc.jpg

That looks spectacular actually. I can't imagine them coming up with anything better. The red/black and the striping pattern combine to create an awesome uniform

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 10:39 AM, Jimmy Leeds said:

Just go back to the original uniforms

That was just a very solid uniform. It had vibrant color and it represented the state. Lou was against it though for whatever reason he had to be dragged kicking and screaming to use it as a throwback

As a standalone uniform it would be top 10 in the league if brought back today. Loved how the road uni had red helmets too

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

If the owners were smart, they'd release them asap. We know what giant babies the fanbase is when it comes to jerseys. The sooner they come out, the more time for the bitching to get out of the way. 

This is actually true regardless of what side you are on this. They should know the fan base well enough to want to get this far enough behind them by the preseason

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Derlique said:

If the owners were smart, they'd release them asap. We know what giant babies the fanbase is when it comes to jerseys. The sooner they come out, the more time for the bitching to get out of the way. 

I mean sure people complained about the new jerseys, myself included(the new ones still suck) but I only discussed it here. It's not like there was any fuss over it at the games..... The goal song on the other hand is what causes the actual crowds at games to flip out lol 

19 hours ago, Derlique said:

So was anyone who dared to share their initial dislike of the new jerseys a giant baby by default?  

I still prefer the old red and blacks to the new ones, but I've gotten used to the news.  Of the news, I like the whites better.  The sleeve stripes on the new reds will always seem a bit out of proportion to me as the white stripes overwhelm, but overall they're ok.  What started out as strong dislike for me has softened into acceptance.

As for the mockups above...just lose that one extra white sleeve stripe and one extra white sock stripe, and I'm sold.  I think the white border on the shoulder yoke really gives that design a truly classic look.  Still hoping for pure white (red and green) retros though.  

20 hours ago, '7' said:

That looks spectacular actually. I can't imagine them coming up with anything better. The red/black and the striping pattern combine to create an awesome uniform

I'm with you - looking at it now, I forgot how much I liked that one actually when I first saw the concept posted here a while back.  I wouldn't want it to replace our current jerseys, but again if we absolutely HAVE to have a 3rd/alternate, I wouldn't mind either our original red/white/green ones, or this retro-based concept with red/black.  Looks pretty sleek and pays homage to the originals by use of the design rather than the color.  

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

People on this board will have a meltdown if the 3rdis the new design but in retro colors. 

Yeah that would be pretty brutal.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So was anyone who dared to share their initial dislike of the new jerseys a giant baby by default?  

I still prefer the old red and blacks to the new ones, but I've gotten used to the news.  Of the news, I like the whites better.  The sleeve stripes on the new reds will always seem a bit out of proportion to me as the white stripes overwhelm, but overall they're ok.  What started out as strong dislike for me has softened into acceptance.

As for the mockups above...just lose that one extra white sleeve stripe and one extra white sock stripe, and I'm sold.  I think the white border on the shoulder yoke really gives that design a truly classic look.  Still hoping for pure white (red and green) retros though.  

I think he was directing that to the people who were over-the-top with their dislike of the new uniforms.

I've mentioned this before, but when the new ones came out I was alright with them.  I wasn't in love with them, but I was willing to give them a chance.  When I saw them for the first time in action in person, I got used to them within about a period.  What's funny is that I have gotten so used to them that the old uniforms look weird to me now.  I can't stop staring at the Santa Claus belt that the old uniforms have with their bottom striping.

• Like 1

I still don't like the new jerseys and will never buy one.  They are just very bland to me, and the arm stripes are ill proportioned.  The only parts I do like is the redesign of the shoulder yoke and the championship collar.  Surprisingly, the homage to the 1912 Newark Bulldogs just doesn't do anything for me. 

As far as a 3rd jersey goes, I'm fine with either a retro or a black based design.  As long as they don't use a cartoon logo like the B-Devils have, I'm ok with it.  Generally, the designs for 3rd jerseys are terrible and do not hold up well over time, therefore my expectations for this are extremely low.

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I still don't like the new jerseys and will never buy one.  They are just very bland to me, and the arm stripes are ill proportioned.  The only parts I do like is the redesign of the shoulder yoke and the championship collar.  Surprisingly, the homage to the 1912 Newark Bulldogs just doesn't do anything for me

As far as a 3rd jersey goes, I'm fine with either a retro or a black based design.  As long as they don't use a cartoon logo like the B-Devils have, I'm ok with it.  Generally, the designs for 3rd jerseys are terrible and do not hold up well over time, therefore my expectations for this are extremely low.

There is no way the Devils had that in mind when it came to the single stripe at the bottom.  No f$%^(*ing way.  I am 100% convinced that the explanation came after the fact as a way to somehow explain away the removal of the traditional stripe.  To say that single stripe is an homage to the Bulldogs jersey, which had many black stripes and is a team that 99% of the fans never even heard of is a huge stretch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I actually like those extra stripes. Gives them a unique look, I think. Jerseys in the NHL are so cut and paste today, even a slight deviance like that gives it something.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I could never not have my team’s current jersey. Even if it was ugly, I’d be compelled to have one.

I kinda feel the same way.  The red Hall jersey I got last year was 95% because I made a bet with myself that if he got over 25 games consecutively with a point I'd buy his jersey (personalized - name, number, and the assistant captain 'A' - something I hardly ever do, most of mine are blank), there's a part of me that got it for the same reason, because, as much as I may not like it, sometimes you just gotta accept things for the way they are and that you can't control them.  Gotta make the best of it.

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I kinda feel the same way.  The red Hall jersey I got last year was 95% because I made a bet with myself that if he got over 25 games consecutively with a point I'd buy his jersey (personalized - name, number, and the assistant captain 'A' - something I hardly ever do, most of mine are blank), there's a part of me that got it for the same reason, because, as much as I may not like it, sometimes you just gotta accept things for the way they are and that you can't control them.  Gotta make the best of it.

I got mine because in addition to wanting the new jersey, I also wanted a Hischier rookie jersey. Only one way to do that. Was a Dalton Prout game issued jersey and I stripped it. 

40871914174_87d2e950ce_b.jpg41542221752_d27d39d55f_b.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I got mine because in addition to wanting the new jersey, I also wanted a Hischier rookie jersey. Only one way to do that. Was a Dalton Prout game issued jersey and I stripped it. 

40871914174_87d2e950ce_b.jpg41542221752_d27d39d55f_b.jpg

Why was that the only way? You mean to get a true authentic, and not an Indo made version that’s on sale to the public?

Edited by Nicomo

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Why was that the only way? You mean to get a true authentic, and not an Indo made version that’s on sale to the public?

As of today, August 7th, 2018, yes.  As others have mentioned here previously on other threads, the Canadian made Adidas authentics are not even close to being the same as the Indos.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

As of today, August 7th, 2018, yes.  As others have mentioned here previously on other threads, the Canadian made Adidas authentics are not even close to being the same as the Indos.

What’s the cheapest a game issued of an unpopular player usually goes for?