Santini signs three year deal

MadDog2020

Obviously a potential bargain if he makes strides.  Really hope some of these guys find ways to stick.  I have no issues with the tough love that Severson, Santini and other Ds have been given, but it would be nice to see less healthy scratches in 2018-19. 

Pretty young group:  Mueller, Santini, and Butcher are 23, Severson is 24, and Vatanen is 27.   The exceptions are obviously Lovejoy (34) and Greene (will be 36 on October 30).  Gotta wonder just a little if Greene is on a shorter leash this year.  God I hope so.

• Like 4

The positive I glean from this is that Shero has confidence that he's a legit NHL defenseman, and his judgment is probably better than all of ours.  I figure he splits time with Lovejoy as the third right handed defenseman for this season anyway. 

And Greene's at the point in his career where I don't think he gets any special consideration based on his tenure or his contract.  Just a matter of whether the team trusts Butcher or Mueller to get more minutes.  Or perhaps there's a minor miracle and Smith makes the team.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The positive I glean from this is that Shero has confidence that he's a legit NHL defenseman, and his judgment is probably better than all of ours.  I figure he splits time with Lovejoy as the third right handed defenseman for this season anyway. 

And Greene's at the point in his career where I don't think he gets any special consideration based on his tenure or his contract.  Just a matter of whether the team trusts Butcher or Mueller to get more minutes.  Or perhaps there's a minor miracle and Smith makes the team.

Smith making the team out of camp would qualify on the water-to-wine level of miracle lol. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Smith making the team out of camp would qualify on the water-to-wine level of miracle lol. 

I think he's a dark horse to get a nine-game look if he really wows in preseason, but yeah, if he ever stuck with the team beyond that, I'd be pretty stunned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think he's a dark horse to get a nine-game look if he really wows in preseason, but yeah, if he ever stuck with the team beyond that, I'd be pretty stunned. 

His junior coach suggests that could happen, but most likely a case of just pumping his tires.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

His junior coach suggests that could happen, but most likely a case of just pumping his tires.

I get the feeling part of his having a real shot would have to be him either just going crazy in preseason, or someone else getting hurt.  Right now I don't think he's really in the Devils' 2018-19 plans.

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling part of his having a real shot would have to be him either just going crazy in preseason, or someone else getting hurt.  Right now I don't think he's really in the Devils' 2018-19 plans.

His biggest criticism so far has been his stregnth/size so I would say this ^. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What is it with the 10 game threshold thing for rookies again?  Once they hit that mark, they have to stay up with the big club?  Or is it something money-related?

In terms of the Santini signing though, I'm all for it.  Not a huge term, and a very fair price.  Guy is still young, and I haven't given up hope on him yet.  In fact, I think in the past he took some unnecessary blame, but that's beside the point.  There's still potential in him, and little to no risk for us, so I like this signing.  If anything, he'll be on par with what Greene/Lovejoy  likely bring to the team this year.

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What is it with the 10 game threshold thing for rookies again?  Once they hit that mark, they have to stay up with the big club?  Or is it something money-related?

In terms of the Santini signing though, I'm all for it.  Not a huge term, and a very fair price.  Guy is still young, and I haven't given up hope on him yet.  In fact, I think in the past he took some unnecessary blame, but that's beside the point.  There's still potential in him, and little to no risk for us, so I like this signing.  If anything, he'll be on par with what Greene/Lovejoy  likely bring to the team this year.

After nine games, you lose a year on your ELC and once you send him to back to junior, he can't come back to the NHL until after the season in junior is over. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

After nine games, you lose a year on your ELC and once you send him to back to junior, he can't come back to the NHL until after the season in junior is over. 

Ah gotcha, thanks.  Kinda seems like an odd rule.  Why would the league want to suppress rookies to a handful of games?  And does the rule only apply to their first year, or does it apply to all 3 seasons or the ELC?  If it does, then I guess I never paid attention, but that must mean that, "normal rookies", i.e. guys that aren't of the Ramus Dahlin caliber, typically play fewer than 9 games each year in the NHL during their first 3 years?  Is that right?  I must be missing something else because I feel like that's way off.  Didn't Severson alone play more than 10 games for us in his rookie season a few years back?   

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ah gotcha, thanks.  Kinda seems like an odd rule.  Why would the league want to suppress rookies to a handful of games?  And does the rule only apply to their first year, or does it apply to all 3 seasons or the ELC?  If it does, then I guess I never paid attention, but that must mean that, "normal rookies", i.e. guys that aren't of the Ramus Dahlin caliber, typically play fewer than 9 games each year in the NHL during their first 3 years?  Is that right?  I must be missing something else because I feel like that's way off.  Didn't Severson alone play more than 10 games for us in his rookie season a few years back?   

I believe it’s a mix of the CBA and an agreement the NHL has with the CHL.

Severson’s eligibility in the CHL has already run out by his rookie year.  So he would have been in Albany had he not made the Devils, and his ELC would have started ticking regardless.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's actually a nice rule...you can get a look at a "maybe he can handle the NHL" kind of young player (usually 18 or 19 years old) for a nice chunk of games (like the Devils did with Bratt, who obviously did enough to stick around), and decide whether or not to burn up a year of ELC...if you decide the player is question isn't NHL-ready yet, he gets sent back to junior...no harm, no foul...and best of all, no lost ELC year.   

I’m not convinced on him, but the dollar value is right. 3 years to show what he’s got. More than a good chance, and locking in for 3 years at relatively low dollars is a demonstration of wanting to be here by him as well. 

With Moore gone, and Lovejoy and Greene perennial question marks at this point, and the defense being in a near total state of flux at the moment, the guy has a big opportunity if he can perform. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Low-key a big deal that it's a 1-way contract. I guess he replaces Moore's spot on the team this year, which is fine with me. Hope Butcher and Severson can take big steps forward this year. Hope Greene takes big steps towards retirement this month. 

Taking Moore's spot insofar as being on the NHL roster, yes. But obviously they're nothing alike in terms of style and not the same handedness. 

I don't know about this deal. Everything about his career so far has been weird - they stick him on the top pairing and plays brutal minutes, in which he got absolutely crushed. If Lovejoy hadn't been a thing (and hadn't been great at 3RD) I guess that'd been his slot but it still amazes me that he went from top spot to no spot. I just wonder how they'll manage it this year, logically he'd compete and split time with Lovejoy because that's the role I can see him managing and also where he probably slots in long term. But I've got a feeling one of them will play further up in the lineup than they should.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Also, Shero does like to bring guys up to give them a couple weeks of the "NHL" portion of their salary.

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

Taking Moore's spot insofar as being on the NHL roster, yes. But obviously they're nothing alike in terms of style and not the same handedness. 

I don't know about this deal. Everything about his career so far has been weird - they stick him on the top pairing and plays brutal minutes, in which he got absolutely crushed. If Lovejoy hadn't been a thing (and hadn't been great at 3RD) I guess that'd been his slot but it still amazes me that he went from top spot to no spot. I just wonder how they'll manage it this year, logically he'd compete and split time with Lovejoy because that's the role I can see him managing and also where he probably slots in long term. But I've got a feeling one of them will play further up in the lineup than they should.

Besides Greene, Moore saw a decent amount of time 3 on 3 in OT because of his great wheels/shot. Who's going to be 2nd D-man this year?

A lot of folks here think Greene age is hurting him. Yet, to Hynes, he's clearly MOST reliable D man he has at least on PK 5 on 5 & 3 on 3. IMO I'll bet Shero gets more calls for Greene availability .  I'm hoping one of these younger guys starts to eat away at some of his minutes. I'm guessing Sami will be that guy.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

I believe it’s a mix of the CBA and an agreement the NHL has with the CHL.

Severson’s eligibility in the CHL has already run out by his rookie year.  So he would have been in Albany had he not made the Devils, and his ELC would have started ticking regardless.

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's actually a nice rule...you can get a look at a "maybe he can handle the NHL" kind of young player (usually 18 or 19 years old) for a nice chunk of games (like the Devils did with Bratt, who obviously did enough to stick around), and decide whether or not to burn up a year of ELC...if you decide the player is question isn't NHL-ready yet, he gets sent back to junior...no harm, no foul...and best of all, no lost ELC year.   

That makes sense. I was confusing juniors with the AHL.