Santini signs three year deal

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, aclc79 said:

This is a relatively young group, which will go through some growing pains.  But, when that is done, will we have what we need to compete at the next level?  Will the goaltending stand up?

Nah, they’ll flop down into the butterfly...

22 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Besides Greene, Moore saw a decent amount of time 3 on 3 in OT because of his great wheels/shot. Who's going to be 2nd D-man this year?

A lot of folks here think Greene age is hurting him. Yet, to Hynes, he's clearly MOST reliable D man he has at least on PK 5 on 5 & 3 on 3. IMO I'll bet Shero gets more calls for Greene availability .  I'm hoping one of these younger guys starts to eat away at some of his minutes. I'm guessing Sami will be that guy.

Butcher?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Nah, they’ll flop down into the butterfly...

Butcher?

Yeah I was going to mention him too because he seemed like the obvious choice that was left out.  I really think Butcher is going to be something special for us, and for a long time.  I see a lot of parallels between him and Rafalski. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Besides Greene, Moore saw a decent amount of time 3 on 3 in OT because of his great wheels/shot. Who's going to be 2nd D-man this year?

A lot of folks here think Greene age is hurting him. Yet, to Hynes, he's clearly MOST reliable D man he has at least on PK 5 on 5 & 3 on 3. IMO I'll bet Shero gets more calls for Greene availability .  I'm hoping one of these younger guys starts to eat away at some of his minutes. I'm guessing Sami will be that guy.

Vatanen/Butcher/Greene will be the top 3, I bet. 

I really don't think Shero will get many calls about Greene. Teams aren't lining up to trade for 35 year old dmen with another year at 5m. Vatanen won't eat away Greene's time, at least not significantly, because they don't play the same side. Butcher/Mueller might, on the other hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

I really don't think Shero will get many calls about Greene. Teams aren't lining up to trade for 35 year old dmen with another year at 5m. Vatanen won't eat away Greene's time, at least not significantly, because they don't play the same side. Butcher/Mueller might, on the other hand.

Yea, maybe I am missing something on Shero taking calls on Greene...I don't see that happening either. 

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

Only way you can move Greene would be to retain a good chunk of his money, or to take an equally iffy short-term contract back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Maybe calls from Harris and Blitzer asking why Greene is still wearing Hall’s C!

I kind of forgot about that until you just mentioned it...so I guess they're not going to take the C away from him then?  Now that I think about it, I'm really not that surprised.  I feel like with all the talk that this got this past season that everyone seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion that Hall would get it at the start of this season.  I'm not at all saying Hall doesn't deserve it, but I'm not all that surprised either that management didn't take it away from Greene.  It's a hard thing to do, and leaving things the way they are might actually be the best option for now.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I kind of forgot about that until you just mentioned it...so I guess they're not going to take the C away from him then?  Now that I think about it, I'm really not that surprised.  I feel like with all the talk that this got this past season that everyone seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion that Hall would get it at the start of this season.  I'm not at all saying Hall doesn't deserve it, but I'm not all that surprised either that management didn't take it away from Greene.  It's a hard thing to do, and leaving things the way they are might actually be the best option for now.

I don’t think they’ll take it. He’d either have to surrender it or stop playing. 

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll say my usual bit about it, none of us are in the locker room and none of us know what he brings to the table as a captain. 

Do you think the officials give a tad more respect to the superstar captains around the league though? 

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll say my usual bit about it, none of us are in the locker room and none of us know what he brings to the table as a captain. 

No doubt about that.  I only go by what I see on the ice and his play is trending the wrong way and Hall is a superstar who I think the Devils are leaning on for the next 7-8 years. 

37 minutes ago, titans04 said:

No doubt about that.  I only go by what I see on the ice and his play is trending the wrong way and Hall is a superstar who I think the Devils are leaning on for the next 7-8 years. 

Agreed...but do you just make your biggest star the captain? There’s an argument that a lot of teams do. 

53 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Do you think the officials give a tad more respect to the superstar captains around the league though? 

I have not a single example of that. Neither do you. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed...but do you just make your biggest star the captain? There’s an argument that a lot of teams do. 

I have not a single example of that. Neither do you. 

Didn’t imply I did. I was curious if people thought it goes on. Hence the question. 

57 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Taking the C away from a player in any sport is a pretty big deal. That is why it doesn't happen often. 

Yeah, did wonders for Elias' mindset when that jackass stripped him of it, it was Mr Bean that did it right?

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

I think you guys are making way too big of a deal about the captaincy. Just let Greene play out his deal, probably retire, Hall is the new captain. 

I know I 100% wanted him stripped of it during the regular season and I probably posted as much on here, so I won't pretend otherwise. If his play diminishes at the same rate as it did last year, I hope he gracefully bows out and hangs 'em up. It'd probably never happen as he'd be leaving $5m or so on the table for that final season, but in this fan's opinion, I'd rather go out on my own terms than be waived or banished elsewhere, but money is money....

That being said, if/when we lock up Hall long term next summer, and once Greene is gone, that C is going to be tattooed to his freaking chest

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Looking through the list of players that had their C’s stripped and some of the best players of all time are one there...

Hull, Pronger, Niedermayer, Lindros, Sakic, Modano, Thorton, Lecavalier, Tkachuk...

And all those were surrounded by plenty of controversy when it happened. Why you'd wanna invite that on a team that had nothing but positives last year is beyond me. I honestly doubt the positives would amount to more than a portion of the fanbase being pleased. 

24 minutes ago, Marshall said:

And all those were surrounded by plenty of controversy when it happened. Why you'd wanna invite that on a team that had nothing but positives last year is beyond me. I honestly doubt the positives would amount to more than a portion of the fanbase being pleased. 

This is correct, you don’t want to start a controversy. That’s why it has to be Greene initiated, giving it up or retiring. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I’m fine with waiting Greene out. I’d also be fine with Hynes making the switch. Whatever he thinks is best. 

I was just surprised it’s happened that many times. I didn’t know about a lot of those. I know the LAK took It from Brown, and SJ has done it a couple times, but it’s not that rare looking back. 

Agree to disagree.

Not sure what controversy would be started, I can't hardly imagine anybody in that locker room sans Greene being upset by it.  In fact I think the message it sends is at this point in time is Hall is the right choice.  As for always giving it to your best player not necessarily but when your guy brings the same level of importance as an Ovi or Crosby to your team to me the answer is yes.  I think Hall is the heart and soul of this team and carried them on his shoulders. I also don't downplay the "C", I don't look at it like it's just a token letter on a jersey.

That said I respect everyone's opinion.