Criminal Defense Lawyer Explains SJW Detachment from Reality

Daniel

This author of this blog post is a criminal defense attorney whose practice included defending drug dealers in the Bronx.  He's specifically addressing a silly movement to have people convicted of "non-violent" drug crimes reparations, but there are some very perceptive observations regarding what is actually going on as a general matter.  Some snippets below the link.

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2018/08/28/fantasy-reparations/

I know these “good Samaritans” well. I defended quite a few of these great humanitarians, maybe even some the writer remembers from her days in the South Bronx. They were fun days, filled with tiny vials of crack and kids killing for the turf of a decent street corner spot or banging some old lady over the head for their fix.

But what they were not was great humanitarians, helping out their brother man by supplying a desired pastime. Don’t pay for your crack and see how sweetly they tried to persuade you to honor your responsibilities. And if the only way to get the loot to cover your debt meant some random person got beaten or robbed, well, that was had to be done because you needed that next fix.

I’ve spent a good deal of time of late trying to explain to young activists why they’re not helping to achieve viable reform by indulging in their psychotic delusions of denial, their fantasy versions of reality, their weeping over systemic horrors that aren’t quite systemic and weren’t entirely unjustified.

This post was a prime example of pushing a lie so ridiculous, so unfathomably laughable, as to render its writer, and its publisher, a joke. Serious people have fought to get New York to enact an expungement statute to no avail. So instead, proffer a story so absurdly false, plus call for commutation, reversal of convictions and, ta da, reparations?

This didn’t appear at the Marshall Project by accident, but because the young and unduly passionate believe this insane nonsense, spout lies they want to believe and demand solutions that are so outrageous as to be off-the-charts offensive.

And someone like me, a criminal defense lawyer who is supposed to be on their team, refusing to indulge in their delusions and instead fighting for rational solutions based on reality, is the worst of the bad guys. After all, no one is worse than a traitor to the cause, even when the cause is a rom com fantasy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2018 at 11:37 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Interesting, but not surprising in the least bit.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Sokal-Squared-Is-Huge/244714

I loved that they took 3000 words of Mein Kampf, replaced Jews with Cishet White Males and it got published. 

Not dishonest at all.  Grievance studies is fake scholarship that contributes nothing to the world and the people who are involved in it deserve to get trolled and ridiculed until they find something else to do.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, Daniel said:

I loved that they took 3000 words of Mein Kampf, replaced Jews with Cishet White Males and it got published. 

Not dishonest at all.  Grievance studies is fake scholarship that contributes nothing to the world and the people who are involved in it deserve to get trolled and ridiculed until they find something else to do.

Ben Shapiro in Newsweek had a pretty good article about it too.  I didn't want to use him as a source given that many left-wingers automatically dismiss him as alt-right drivel (even though he is pretty center right in his views).  I think his take is pretty interesting and I largely agree with it as to what is happening in college classrooms.

https://www.newsweek.com/ben-shapiro-genius-academic-hoax-exposed-liberal-arts-colleges-dont-care-1155013

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ben Shapiro in Newsweek had a pretty good article about it too.  I didn't want to use him as a source given that many left-wingers automatically dismiss him as alt-right drivel (even though he is pretty center right in his views).  I think his take is pretty interesting and I largely agree with it as to what is happening in college classrooms.

https://www.newsweek.com/ben-shapiro-genius-academic-hoax-exposed-liberal-arts-colleges-dont-care-1155013

Alt-righters universally hate Ben Shapiro.  Left-wingers have a very poor understanding of what the term means and who it applies to.  A good chunk of alt-righters are sympathetic to Bernie Sanders.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Alt-righters universally hate Ben Shapiro.  Left-wingers have a very poor understanding of what the term means and who it applies to.  A good chunk of alt-righters are sympathetic to Bernie Sanders.

I like Ben and typically agree with most of his views.  I used to like Milo way back in the day before he decided to become more of a troll than actual commentator.

For me, alt-right is more Alex Jones and his types.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I like Ben and typically agree with most of his views.  I used to like Milo way back in the day before he decided to become more of a troll than actual commentator.

For me, alt-right is more Alex Jones and his types.

Alex Jones is really just a nut job.  I would say that the most prominent alt-righter is probably Pat Buchanan, or at least he's probably the bloc's intellectual patriarch.  Anti-free trade, anti-immigration, anti-war and less skeptical of regulation and the welfare state than the typical establishment Republican.  As you will notice, the alt-right's political agenda overlaps a lot with that of the left. 

In a similar way, the agendas Nazis and German Communists had many similarities, the most important of which is that they both sought to overthrow the liberal democratic order of Weimar Republic.  Some high ranking Nazis (although not really Hitler, himself) also agreed with Marxist economic dogma about the eventual abolition of private property and workers' revolution. 

The common theme here is the left's inability to deal with nationalism in any kind of serious way.  It explains a lot of its incoherence on many issues.

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2018 at 7:44 PM, Daniel said:

On 10/5/2018 at 11:37 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Interesting, but not surprising in the least bit.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Sokal-Squared-Is-Huge/244714

I know this is an old thread but I never saw it until today, so here goes nothing: Academics like the ones those hoaxers have targeted, and their journals, have destroyed academia.  I am thrilled at what they’ve done but I admit I couldn’t have done this.  Just expressing the “wrong” opinions back when I started my PhD landed me in hot water numerous times.... and nothing I said was anything out of the ordinary except to these intellectual autocrats.  However, I would like to share with you guys an example of something that was told to me by a fellow academic:

The person in question is a historian of psychology, which is a new field (not surprising as psychology itself is little more than a century and a quarter old).  When giving a paper he made the apparently awful mistake of calling the history of psychology a “virgin” field.  He was taken to task later and told that using that term was denigrating to women and he ought not do it again.  Understand that he made no mention of women at all, he was talking about psychology and it’s history.  

When I began my PhD I thought that academics would be open minded and capable of dealing with all sorts of ideas.  Instead I found mostly small-minded ideologues, and not a few outright racists.  I was so young and stupid....

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.