Jump to content
NJDfan1711

2018 Pre-Season Thread

Recommended Posts

  I'm itching to get some hockey back in my life.  Tomorrow is September.  Not sure if we've ever had a dedicated thread just for the pre-season lol, but I think we need some hockey talk that's actually about hockey.  The Brodeur stuff, the 3rd jersey stuff, that can only carry us so far.

So - when is our first game?  When do we start cutting players and whittle down the roster?  Is Cory fully healthy and ready to start the season?  I realize some of these questions can be looked up quickly online, but I'm too lazy, and also it's more meant to spur discussion.

Go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good idea. I think we'd tried separate pre-season GDTs before but if I remember correctly they'd only get like 4 replies each haha. 

Can't believe my babies are already almost back. Ugh, been too long. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First game(s) are split-squad on 9/17:  home against the Rangers, away against the Canadiens. 

Then three road games:  9/20 Isles, 9/24 Rangers, and 9/27 Jets

Then an exhibition game in Switzerland on 10/1, then their season opener in Sweden on 10/6, against the Oilers. 

 

So basically just one home preseason game (not like I ever really go to those anyway...the only I time I did was in 92-93, their final preseason game, when I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the then-new unis...they came out wearing their old home white, red, and green, so the point of going was kinda shot right there). 

Will be interesting to see if Ty Smith does enough to get a nine-game audition when the season begins.  I think he's a dark horse to do that, but there's a chance it could happen. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 4th (or is it 5th?) year in a row I am going to Barclay's preseason game on the 20th.  Last year was a bit of a stinker since it was a split squad game and they sent the best players to the game up in PEI while the Devils best players at the game at Barclays were McLeod (who got injured in the game) and Lovejoy.  No joke, there was maybe 1000-1500 people at the game.

It might also be the first game I have gone to in over a decade where I purposefully am not going to wear a jersey.  I will wear a Devils shirt, but last year I found myself sweating in a jersey waiting for the game and I don't feel like carrying it around with me until I go inside.

I may go to the home game against the Rangers, but that is a big maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First game(s) are split-squad on 9/17:  home against the Rangers, away against the Canadiens. 

Then three road games:  9/20 Isles, 9/24 Rangers, and 9/27 Jets

Then an exhibition game in Switzerland on 10/1, then their season opener in Sweden on 10/6, against the Oilers. 

 

So basically just one home preseason game (not like I ever really go to those anyway...the only I time I did was in 92-93, their final preseason game, when I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the then-new unis...they came out wearing their old home white, red, and green, so the point of going was kinda shot right there). 

Will be interesting to see if Ty Smith does enough to get a nine-game audition when the season begins.  I think he's a dark horse to do that, but there's a chance it could happen. 

Damn, only one home game kinda sucks, I assume it'll be pretty fully then.  

I also think Smith's a longshot to get that 9 game tryout, but honestly it wouldn't be the worst idea.  We pretty clearly need some help on D.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For the 4th (or is it 5th?) year in a row I am going to Barclay's preseason game on the 20th.  Last year was a bit of a stinker since it was a split squad game and they sent the best players to the game up in PEI while the Devils best players at the game at Barclays were McLeod (who got injured in the game) and Lovejoy.  No joke, there was maybe 1000-1500 people at the game.

It might also be the first game I have gone to in over a decade where I purposefully am not going to wear a jersey.  I will wear a Devils shirt, but last year I found myself sweating in a jersey waiting for the game and I don't feel like carrying it around with me until I go inside.

I may go to the home game against the Rangers, but that is a big maybe.

Do you have season tickets and the pre-season game(s) are included, or did you just get tickets to the game you're planning on going to?  If the latter, curious, how much were tickets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Damn, only one home game kinda sucks, I assume it'll be pretty fully then.  

I also think Smith's a longshot to get that 9 game tryout, but honestly it wouldn't be the worst idea.  We pretty clearly need some help on D.

Do you have season tickets and the pre-season game(s) are included, or did you just get tickets to the game you're planning on going to?  If the latter, curious, how much were tickets?

I don't have season tickets and haven't since my family had them from 91-92 season through 02-03.  I got the Barclays tickets for this year already.  11 rows from the ice on Stubhub for about $21 with fees.  Last year I got 5th or 6th row for like $14 with fees about a week before the game.  The other day the cheapest tickets for the game was $6 before fees and lower levels were in the $20-40 range with fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna be seriously considering making it out to the game against the Rangers at home, I've been itching to watch the team play and that's our only home preseason game.

Really curious to see what Hynes tries for lines at the start of camp. I'd love to see Joey Anderson get an audition with Hall and Hischier on the top line RW, if he can stick there that'll help make us deeper on the right side by pushing Palmieri and Bratt down a spot on that side, kind of like the pseudo-depth Pittsburgh does with having guys like Rust and Sheary up with Crosby/Malkin to make their wings deeper on lines that need it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First game(s) are split-squad on 9/17:  home against the Rangers, away against the Canadiens. 

Then three road games:  9/20 Isles, 9/24 Rangers, and 9/27 Jets

Then an exhibition game in Switzerland on 10/1, then their season opener in Sweden on 10/6, against the Oilers. 

 

So basically just one home preseason game (not like I ever really go to those anyway...the only I time I did was in 92-93, their final preseason game, when I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the then-new unis...they came out wearing their old home white, red, and green, so the point of going was kinda shot right there). 

Will be interesting to see if Ty Smith does enough to get a nine-game audition when the season begins.  I think he's a dark horse to do that, but there's a chance it could happen. 

Bratt's 9-game audition went from 9-games to "you just can't justify not keeping the guy in the lineup". I know defenseman develop significantly quicker, but it's not like it's totally unheard of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Bratt's 9-game audition went from 9-games to "you just can't justify not keeping the guy in the lineup". I know defenseman develop significantly quicker, but it's not like it's totally unheard of. 

If Smith not only makes the opening day roster but stays beyond 9 games, that is pretty telling about the current state of our D-corps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If Smith not only makes the opening day roster but stays beyond 9 games, that is pretty telling about the current state of our D-corps.

Or maybe he's Chuckie McAvoy 2.0 and leads us to our first of nine consecutive Stanley Cups? WHY NOT THAT, DM84?! HUH!?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

https://streamable.com/c22jw

about that time to bust this bad boy out again.

My three year old walked past my laptop while I was rewatching that beaut.

"Hey daddy, who is that goalie?"

"That's Henrik."

"Daddy, why is Henrik always sad?"

""Well son, have a seat and let's watch."

"Daddy, is he dead?"

"Inside.. yes."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be at the 9/24 game in the Garden. I hope to get a look at Smith and a few others. 

And I just moved about 15 minutes away from the arena for work (as opposed to the hour and a half distance I used to have) so I'm super excited to hit up more games! I only made 2-3 the last few years after dropping my season tickets in 2014. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'll be at the 9/24 game in the Garden. I hope to get a look at Smith and a few others. 

And I just moved about 15 minutes away from the arena for work (as opposed to the hour and a half distance I used to have) so I'm super excited to hit up more games! I only made 2-3 the last few years after dropping my season tickets in 2014. 

Every ticket rep just put your number on speed dial.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

Every ticket rep just put your number on speed dial.

Oh they haven't stopped calling me all summer! Ever since I mentioned to one who called early last season that i wasn't interested in tickets but id be in the area next year, it's been like sharks to blood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some of the ticket reps are just over the line, they call and call regardless of how many times you tell them you aren't interested in a ticket package. I get it, its their job but... come on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

some of the ticket reps are just over the line, they call and call regardless of how many times you tell them you aren't interested in a ticket package. I get it, its their job but... come on

Sales blows. They’re probably being hassled by their supervisors to call and call. It’s all about quotas in sales. The attitude that is pervasive in just about any sales job coming down from the top is ‘don’t meet your quota and we’ll find someone who will,’ which is why I left sales (besides the fact that I’d struggle selling a space heater to an Eskimo lol). These poor bastards are just trying to keep their jobs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

some of the ticket reps are just over the line, they call and call regardless of how many times you tell them you aren't interested in a ticket package. I get it, its their job but... come on

Thankfully they don't call me, but I get e-mailed like crazy now.  All goes to my junk box, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

some of the ticket reps are just over the line, they call and call regardless of how many times you tell them you aren't interested in a ticket package. I get it, its their job but... come on

I've only had one sales rep cross the line with me a little bit.  A single rep called me and I told him I wasn't interested.  He kept calling me almost every day for the next 2-3 weeks afterwards and every time I saw his number I would just let it go to VM.  Well one day he called me but from his personal cell phone so I picked up not knowing the number except for that it was local to my area.  I thought that was a bit over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I'm ready for some hockey I hate preseason games so I'm glad we only have 1 to actually attend this year. I complain about it every year but they could throw full season ticket holders a bone and give these out for free when you're paying for 41 games already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

As much as I'm ready for some hockey I hate preseason games so I'm glad we only have 1 to actually attend this year. I complain about it every year but they could throw full season ticket holders a bone and give these out for free when you're paying for 41 games already. 

I love it actually.  Less people, cheaper prices and it comes at a time when I am most looking forward to hockey when a Devils game hasn't been played in over 3 months.  Pre-season and October/November are my favorite months to go to games.  By the time January rolls around, I feel like I am almost going through the motions of attending the game and the weather outside is either crappy or super cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like I'm in the minority here but I love the preseason games.  Tickets are dirt cheap and I get to see all the prospects play live.  I read about them and watch highlights all year long so it's nice to take advantage of those few chances to see them in action.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this counts as pre-season but the roster's been announced for the Prospects Challenge in Buffalo (later this week).  Looks like Jeremey Groleau is back (he was at Dev Camp) & a new guy, Dylan Seitz: 

image.png.45ceabc90e2e1e660bb78988f115224d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Sounds like I'm in the minority here but I love the preseason games.  Tickets are dirt cheap and I get to see all the prospects play live.  I read about them and watch highlights all year long so it's nice to take advantage of those few chances to see them in action.

I’ll watch whatever I can once September rolls around. I’m desperate for some Devils hockey. Every year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I've only had one sales rep cross the line with me a little bit.  A single rep called me and I told him I wasn't interested.  He kept calling me almost every day for the next 2-3 weeks afterwards and every time I saw his number I would just let it go to VM.  Well one day he called me but from his personal cell phone so I picked up not knowing the number except for that it was local to my area.  I thought that was a bit over the line.

That's definitely over the line and trying too hard, and I probably wouldn't do business with that person for that very reason.  People need to learn to take a hint sometimes and understand when enough is enough.  For me personally, they do themselves a disservice and actually ruin the chances of a deal when they push and pressure like that.  It's just annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.