2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Even if they didn’t play hockey, I’m sure at least one of their parents were great athletes.  Taylor Hall’s father I believe played in the CFL.

True, there has to be at least SOME modicum of athletic ability possessed by at least one of the parents to produce athletes of that caliber. I don’t see how it could ever be otherwise. But look at Severson’s dad for example- I don’t like to judge books by their cover necessarily, but I’d wager Damon got his athletic ability from his mom. 😄

48 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Deb's the foxiest damn 88 year old I've ever seen. 

Oh, she's 52? Uh... Deb was a fine reporter. 

Maybe someone can track down a shot of when she had that really bizarre tan that made her look like Cameron Diaz’s roommate in Something About Mary.

• Like 1

Has anyone been able to catch any of the prospect games?

I was only able to watch part of the Friday night game, but from what I saw, Seney looked great out there. To me, he was the most NHL-ready forward on the team, noticeably better than both Quenneville and McLeod. There's a lot of raw talent in guys like Zetterlund, Studenic, and Sarangovich. I think Studenic is a bit of a project, but I could see Zetterlund breaking out this year in the SHL. I saw very little of Smith and McLeod, but Smith was really impressive in the few shifts I caught. I'm going to give McLeod the benefit of the doubt, because he was not having a good game. He really needs to start showing more soon, because his decision making and vision are not great. It seems like he is playing nervous. Lots of fans are expecting him to be the 3rd line C for years to come, and while I would not rule that out, I definitely do not anticipate that happening for a while, unless he starts showing something we haven't seen yet.

I have not ever been a big fan of Bastian, but I am beginning to think he will find a role at the NHL level. He was not afraid to throw some hits, but he adds some offense too. He could turn into a more talented 2012 Steve Bernier. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nessus said:

Has anyone been able to catch any of the prospect games?

I was only able to watch part of the Friday night game, but from what I saw, Seney looked great out there. To me, he was the most NHL-ready forward on the team, noticeably better than both Quenneville and McLeod. There's a lot of raw talent in guys like Zetterlund, Studenic, and Sarangovich. I think Studenic is a bit of a project, but I could see Zetterlund breaking out this year in the SHL. I saw very little of Smith and McLeod, but Smith was really impressive in the few shifts I caught. I'm going to give McLeod the benefit of the doubt, because he was not having a good game. He really needs to start showing more soon, because his decision making and vision are not great. It seems like he is playing nervous. Lots of fans are expecting him to be the 3rd line C for years to come, and while I would not rule that out, I definitely do not anticipate that happening for a while, unless he starts showing something we haven't seen yet.

I have not ever been a big fan of Bastian, but I am beginning to think he will find a role at the NHL level. He was not afraid to throw some hits, but he adds some offense too. He could turn into a more talented 2012 Steve Bernier. 

I was blacked out from Friday's game but yesterday's game is here - I haven't watched it yet though. It starts about 30 mins in:  

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is outstanding- Marty being drafted. It’s all in French, but awesome footage I’ve never seen before:

I'm pretty sure the lead singer from Talking Heads wants his suit back. 

You know you're getting too much into player-worn jerseys when you watch this and think to yourself "Man, I wonder what that jersey would fetch at auction...and if only I could get my hands on it..."

And on another note...DAMN does Marty look young...bad mustache and all.  I was 8 days away from turning 20 when that draft took place.  Now less than two years away from 50.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976