2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

6 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

A bunch of things to dump here: 

@cmasisak22  #NJDevils Marcus Johansson said he had no lingering effects from the two concussions this summer and had a full offseason of training.

SHOCKER!  @StapeAthletic   In other #Isles depth notes, Stephen Gionta is back on a PTO.

Devils Insiders retweeted this: @nealmchale   Jeremy Brodeur (son of Martin), who was on an tryout with the Rangers during their Traverse City Tournament, will go to NYR’s training camp

Hopefully MOJO will be healthy and extra motivated this season after watching the Caps win the Cup. Similar to what happened with Hall having to watch the Oilers make the playoffs without him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

giphy.gif

Alright let's get stupid and do this:

Wood + 1st + ____________________

for 

EK

47 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Karlsson starting the season with us in Sweden...make it so

I mean it makes just too much sense :lol:

Edited by Devilsfan118

@mikemorrealeNHL 

Keith Kinkaid said he spent the summer in Jersey working out w/ Pavel Zacha. He said Zacha "seems a lot stronger and faster out there." That's good news for @NJDevils fans. He said he feels Zacha is going to have a great year.

@mikemorrealeNHL

Nico Hischier said he added 5 pounds this season and worked on his shot -- as coach John Hynes suggested he do at the end of 2017-18. @NJDevils

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If Shero pulled this off I'd seriously lose my sh!t. I'd need to go hide somewhere because I'd be crying.

Still would be VERY surprising if the Devils got him (and of course you gotta pay him a fortune and wonder if his best years aren't already behind him), but sometimes it's those teams that kind of lay in the weeds that end up with the prize, while other ones make the big effort initially, but simply decide to bow out (and never get back in because they've already made other plans). 

Even if the asking price is a little lower now, I don't think it will be a no-brainer fleece kind of deal...Devils are probably going to have to cough up at least a first, two prospects, and Severson in a trade (not exactly a Severson guy myself, but he is cost-controlled for several years)...and then pay Karlsson a boatload...I guess you could look at as Severson's salary gets lopped off, so Karlsson's hit wouldn't seem as drastic.  I'd be less iffy about it if Karlsson wasn't beginning to show signs of being injury-prone as he ages.  And I'm not so sure if Shero really wants to make this kind of a deal at this point anyway. 

Saw a suggestion of Severson, McLeod, Wood, and a first.  It's actually Wood and the first that would make me a little hesitant.  I'm not a big believer in Severson (is cost-controlled for many years though), and I don't get good vibes about McLeod.  Wood I think has something, and I'm not sure the Devils should start giving away first-rounders just yet.  But I can understand why someone might just say "fvck it, you make that deal immediately!" 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Still would be VERY surprising if the Devils got him (and of course you gotta pay him a fortune and wonder if his best years aren't already behind him), but sometimes it's those teams that kind of lay in the weeds that end up with the prize, while other ones make the big effort initially, but simply decide to bow out (and never get back in because they've already made other plans). 

Even if the asking price is a little lower now, I don't think it will be a no-brainer fleece kind of deal...Devils are probably going to have to cough up at least a first, two prospects, and Severson in a trade (not exactly a Severson guy myself, but he is cost-controlled for several years)...and then pay Karlsson a boatload...I guess you could look at as Severson's salary gets lopped off, so Karlsson's hit wouldn't seem as drastic.  I'd be less iffy about it if Karlsson wasn't beginning to show signs of being injury-prone as he ages.  And I'm not so sure if Shero really wants to make this kind of a deal at this point anyway. 

Saw a suggestion of Severson, McLeod, Wood, and a first.  It's actually Wood and the first that would make me a little hesitant.  I'm not a big believer in Severson (is cost-controlled for many years though), and I don't get good vibes about McLeod.  Wood I think has something, and I'm not sure the Devils should start giving away first-rounders just yet.  But I can understand why someone might just say "fvck it, you make that deal immediately!" 

I agree with you but I'm pretty sure whatever team that gets him is going to be very surprised. We're all in that boat together since no one knows until it happens. The same way the Kovy deal went down and NOBODY saw it coming. Everyone's chances look slim to non-existent until the deal is done. I'd be in the group that just does the deal, especially if the contract is getting signed in the process. 

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree with you but I'm pretty sure whatever team that gets him is going to be very surprised. We're all in that boat together since no one knows until it happens. The same way the Kovy deal went down and NOBODY saw it coming. Everyone's chances look slim to non-existent until the deal is done. I'd be in the group that just does the deal, especially if the contract is getting signed in the process. 

Actually Dennis Potvin called the Kovy deal ahead of time...mentioned it on the XM hockey channel.  I remember thinking "Huh?  No, Devils aren't doing that" and then being stunned not only that Lou got him (I saw it on the ESPN ticker), but at what the price was...it really didn't seem like much at the time (Bergfors did just enough that season to up his value to a "prospect with upside").  Who would've guessed that Oduya would've played for so long?

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually Dennis Potvin called the Kovy deal ahead of time...mentioned it on the XM hockey channel.  I remember thinking "Huh?  No, Devils aren't doing that" and then being stunned not only that Lou got him (I saw it on the ESPN ticker), but at what the price was...it really didn't seem like much at the time (Bergfors did just enough that season to up his value to a "prospect with upside").  Who would've guessed that Oduya would've played for so long?

When the EK deal gets done I'll point back to Dredger saying Devils were in it then lol 😁 Єklund (2.3% accurate) was the first person I saw post the Kovy deal so I thought it was bullsh!t.

Edited by NJDevils1214

@mikemorrealeNHL 

Ray Shero on Miles Wood (RFA): "I respect his decision but look forward to having him under contract at some point really soon." Shero said he hasn't spoken to Wood camp in a week but he feels nothing more needed to be said.

Shero said Cory Schneider will not participate in any exhibition gms. He's still not sure about the opener (10/6). Said he'll speak to Kevin Morley (head athletic trainer) & Chris Stackpole (head physical therapist) to find out if CS can skate w/ team or on own during camp.

Shero said, right now, he would expect Schneider to travel w/ the team to Switzerland/Sweden. But said he needs to find out from trainers what is best for his rehab.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleBallofHate said:

@mikemorrealeNHL 

Ray Shero on Miles Wood (RFA): "I respect his decision but look forward to having him under contract at some point really soon." Shero said he hasn't spoken to Wood camp in a week but he feels nothing more needed to be said.

Well, not to overanalyze this.. but it sounds to me like Wood is out to lunch with his contract ask.

• Like 2

From Bastian's blog... surprised a NYR fan didn't give them more sh*t for wearing Devils gear 😅 and he listed Marty's accomplishments? That's crazytown.

The best entertainment so far might have come at the rest stop. Q was in line to buy a drink and there was a guy who saw the Devils logo on his warm up and thought he was a fan and started talking about the team and Taylor Hall and Cory Schneider’s injury and Q just kind of nodded, smiled and responded politely. Then, Schmelzer walked over and he had a Devils t-shirt on. The guy goes, “Oh, another fan!” and continues to share his opinions on the team. Then, he saw Mackenzie Blackwood, who was also in line, and asked if he’d ever heard of “Martin Brodeur, the best goalie of all time.” Blackie jokingly said he was just ok and the guy started listing his stats including his recent selection to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Despite the fact that he said he was a Rangers fan, that guy might be the best part of the trip back to Jersey. 

For all of us, the chance to be at an NHL main camp is something that we’re all pretty grateful for. Not a lot of kids growing up playing hockey get a chance to do that, so we’re all looking forward to making the most of it and having the chance to skate with players like Taylor Hall. They’re always so impressive and there so much we can learn from them. It will be a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

I think I’d like it more if the Devils were the third team in and able to swipe a nice prospect rather than get EK. I know there’s some issues with his knees and I think he’s a player that benefits going to a team on the cusp of winning the cup and I don’t think the Devils are there yet. I was really hoping we’d end up with Sergachev (and Callahan if we had to take a salary dump).