2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

5 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I highly doubt Wood's agent is asking for 2.5m and I doubt they're just 100-200K apart unfortunately.

Todd Cordell, who has been on this from the start, speculates that the Devils are offering 2 million, while Wood wants 2.5. Both parties have said they aren't far apart on term or money.

4 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Todd Cordell, who has been on this from the start, speculates that the Devils are offering 2 million, while Wood wants 2.5. Both parties have said they aren't far apart on term or money.

If it were that close they'd have it figured it. Those are speculatory numbers, we don't know if they are even in the right ball park to the actual numbers. 

Also, Shero didn't seem to imply that each parties numbers were that close

16 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I highly doubt Wood's agent is asking for 2.5m and I doubt they're just 100-200K apart unfortunately.

100% pure speculation on my part, but I'm guess Shero might be offering low $2 mil per year, while Miles' camp is in the upper $2 mil range.  Maybe $800-900k apart. 

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Kind of a shame that he's doing this already. I wonder if he's getting bad advice. I mean I get it, he brings a ton of energy and 19 goals isn't something to sneeze at that young and on mostly lower lines. But still, i feel like he needs to build the consistency, which is the exact reason for a bridge deal 

I don't think anyone knows what's been offered and what he's looking for. He may be wanting something ridiculous. 

Yeah, I could see digging in when he's a RFA again, but not this go-round. 

44 minutes ago, Derlique said:

I'd give it to him. 

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

My guess is more ice time

I'd give it to him.

19 goals, under 13 mins a game averaged in 76 games. The guy was 4th on our team in goals, one behind our #1 draft pick who played first line minutes with the league MVP. And the #5 guy(s) were not even close at 13. 

No question that should be worth $2.5M. But I think he's probably asking for more. Maybe he's asking for the deal Kyle Palmieri got with an AAV of $4,650,000. 

I can't believe that he is holding out over $500k, that just can't be right. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd give it to him. 

I'd give it to him.

19 goals, under 13 mins a game averaged in 76 games. The guy was 4th on our team in goals, one behind our #1 draft pick who played first line minutes with the league MVP. And the #5 guy(s) were not even close at 13. 

No question that should be worth $2.5M. But I think he's probably asking for more. Maybe he's asking for the deal Kyle Palmieri got with an AAV of $4,650,000. 

I can't believe that he is holding out over $500k, that just can't be right. 

He also played soft minutes and largely against the oppositions weakest lines. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Crisis said:

My guess is more ice time

Not sure I remember anybody ever negotiating more ice time especially when they were a RFA with little to no leverage to begin with.. Imo if that's what he's trying to do he's making a huge mistake.  Get on the ice and earn your ice time.  If I remember right his underlying stats are junk.  Either way it's not a good look.

Edited by titans04

30 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Not sure I remember anybody ever negotiating more ice time especially when they were a RFA with little to no leverage to begin with.. Imo if that's what he's trying to do he's making a huge mistake.  Get on the ice and earn your ice time.  If I remember right his underlying stats are junk.  Either way it's not a good look.

From what I recall his underlying stats are actually good. If it’s a difference around $500k then let the kid have it and demand he doesn’t let you down.

33 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Holding out for ice time is worse than money. It's like a disgruntled parent yelling at the coach to play their kid more. Earn your ice time, and your money, though your play.

• Like 1

I think you guys are chasing a red herring re: ice time. How do you quantify that or put pen to paper on that at this stage of negotiations? I'd imagine Shero having little say in how Hynes wants to run the team. Not sure what leverage a player would have in jamming that in during contract negotiations, and could be seen as undermining from Hynes' perspective.

"Philosophical" could mean he wants more years or it could mean certain performance bonuses on top of a currently-fair base salary that is a slippery slope Shero doesn't want to go down. It could also be a no-move clause?

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Derlique said:

Just give him 2 years at 2.5 per and move on. Is 100k-200k going to kill either side?

Reinhart just signed for 2 years at 3.5 per and he was a 50 point guy last season (25G-25A).   I think 2 at 2.5 is a fair offer for Wood, who had 19 goals.  However, my feeling is that he is looking for much more than that.  If the difference was only a few hundred grand, I doubt it holds up the signing.

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Doing that and scoring 19 goals is basically exactly what you want out of a 3rd/4th liner like Wood. Isn't it? 

Yes I do.  However, he is most likely asking for top 2 line pay.

I really do not believe that this hold up is over a couple hundred thousand.  I do think they are probably about a million dollars a year apart give or take 100K.  He realistically should be getting $2M.  That is a fair price.

On average, everyone thinks they are worth more than what they actually produce.  Given Wood's numbers this past year, he simply has a lot of bullet points that I'm sure he and his agent sat down and went through what to present to Shero.  He has a lot of talking points and I never knew that Shero was much of a stickler in this regard.  I give Shero props.  My guess is that he knows where he sees various players fit and maybe he doesn't see Wood as a top 6 goal scoring sniper and sees more of a top 9 speedster.  You don't pay the top 9 speedy player Palmieri money.  Maybe Shero says that he can't promise ice-time and because he can't promise ice-time, he can't gauge or see the worth in paying Wood Palmieri style money.  Palmieri is a steal for his skillset and we're lucky he didn't cost us more.  Wood has to understand that  he's behind a number of players on the left side.  Just to name all of them, Hall, Johansson, Bratt.  Bratt plays the right but he's doing that out of lack of RWs.  The RW depth is Palmieri, Noesen, (Lappin).  We already have a good deal of left-handed shots.  And all of that isn't to mention what Wood's value on the trade market is, which is likely sh!te. He's not Filip Forsberg.

Edited by RizzMB30

2 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I think you guys are chasing a red herring re: ice time. How do you quantify that or put pen to paper on that at this stage of negotiations? I'd imagine Shero having little say in how Hynes wants to run the team. Not sure what leverage a player would have in jamming that in during contract negotiations, and could be seen as undermining from Hynes' perspective.

"Philosophical" could mean he wants more years or it could mean certain performance bonuses on top of a currently-fair base salary that is a slippery slope Shero doesn't want to go down. It could also be a no-move clause?

This.  

I was trying to say the bolded in my post too. 

A no-move clause would be a very weird thing to be asking for at this age.  I could see that falling under philosophical differences if either A) Shero doesn't offer no-movements or B.)  He believes that no-moves should be players at a certain age or something.  That's a good guess.  

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes I do.  However, he is most likely asking for top 2 line pay.

I really do not believe that this hold up is over a couple hundred thousand.  I do think they are probably about a million dollars a year apart give or take 100K.  He realistically should be getting $2M.  That is a fair price.

My post was premised on the $2.5m number. Like I said, he could be asking for Palmieri money, which is top 2 line pay. So you were really agreeing with me. ;) 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.da368dfd86ec2763c7e0b2894f7ef7a0.png

image.thumb.png.cac77378685a56805198173ce0937ed3.png

Can't help but feel he's pointing to Wilson as justification for a big pay day.

Interestingly enough, Wilson's second contract was 2 x 2AAV. 

Someone else mentioned Lou - if Lou were still here I'd say Wood's days as a Devil were numbered.

Edited by Devilsfan118