2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Wow. I knew he'd still be kicking ass.

If we're honest here most fans here are simply butthurt he left (and its fair) but to say he was done and all was silly, the dude is a fvcking beast.

No one was saying he was done.  Some were not that impressed that he didn't truly shred it in the shorter-season K (especially in his first three seasons there), on a completely stacked team, against lesser competition. 

He's not used to playing in 82-game NHL seasons anymore, and the NHL is a superior league to boot.  Great, he scored a fancy preseason goal.  Let me see what he can do over a full NHL season after having been away for several years, and we can talk about whether or not he still has beast potential.  If he turns in a big season, in his age 35 season, after not having played in a legit full NHL season since 2012, then he deserves credit for sure (regardless of how I feel about him).  But it's a bit early for "I told you so." 

I actually have him getting off to a strong start and then fading...it won't surprise me if he's looking good through his first 15-20 games (say, 10+ goals).  I just have serious doubts about him holding up.   

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one was saying he was done.  Some were not that impressed that he didn't truly shred it in the shorter-season K (especially in his first three seasons there), on a completely stacked team, against lesser competition. 

He's not used to playing in 82-game NHL seasons anymore, and the NHL is a superior league to boot.  Great, he scored a fancy preseason goal.  Let me see what he can do over a full NHL season after having been away for several years, and we can talk about whether or not he still has beast potential.  If he turns in a big season, in his age 35 season, after not having played in a legit full NHL season since 2012, then he deserves credit for sure (regardless of how I feel about him).  But it's a bit early for "I told you so." 

I actually have him getting off to a strong start and then fading...it won't surprise me if he's looking good through his first 15-20 games (say, 10+ goals).  I just have serious doubts about him holding up.   

im not going to bother going back to find quotes but yes there was lots of people 100% saying he was done, with his back and couldnt even dominate a lesser league like the KHL etc etc

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im not going to bother going back to find quotes but yes there was lots of people 100% saying he was done, with his back and couldnt even dominate a lesser league like the KHL etc etc

He couldn’t dominate the KHL on a stacked team, that isn’t even up for debate. He also scored a beauty of a goal in a preseason game that was an absolute blowout. Congrats, so far he’s the 2005 version of Alex Rodriguez with the Yankees. 

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They were more wondering how effective he'd still be as an NHLer (and how his back issues might have factored into that).  Big difference between saying someone is outright finished, or still able to play but not nearly as well (say, semi-respectable but much lower offensive output, or considerably less games played per season, etc). 

One thing that's a positive for Kovalchuk is that I think he's where he's always wanted to be, now that he's in LA...not sure how much difference that ultimately makes, but that's something.  I think he would've loved to have signed with the Kings instead of the Devils way back, but that time around he went for the insane contract (his agent tried to get the Kings to try to make an offer within the Devils' ballpark). 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

He couldn’t dominate the KHL on a stacked team, that isn’t even up for debate. He also scored a beauty of a goal in a preseason game that was an absolute blowout. Congrats, so far he’s the 2005 version of Alex Rodriguez with the Yankees. 

If any Devils players would have scored that EXACT goal in the preseason there would be lineups of fans waiting to suck his happy stick. 

I mean lol let's not be blinded by our bias here

Edited by SterioDesign

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If any Devils players would have scored that EXACT goal in the preseason there would be lineups of fans waiting to suck his happy stick. 

Some fans would do that for sure (I remember some people making a big deal out of Brunner when he scored three goals through his first three games as a Devil), but many others would want to see a lot more before making any declarations about how he's going to fare in 2018-19. 

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some fans would do that for sure (I remember some people making a big deal out of Brunner when he scored three goals through his first three games as a Devil), but many others would want to see a lot more before making any declarations about how he's going to fare in 2018-19. 

Holy crap Brunner was like the big deal that year, we were going to totally steal him on a PTO. LOL.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's excellent for MW in my opinion. Hopefully he keeps on progressing. If he could establish himself as a 20-25 goals scorer it would be amazing

So, how many point are we hoping/predicting for Zacha this season?. I think 40-45 with 15-20 goals would be great this year, and I think he's capable of it from the glimpses I've seen this pre-season. He seems less hesitant and more confident with the puck and his abilities.

Curious to see what other posters think on here.

Edited by Devs3cups

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

So, how many point are we hoping/predicting for Zacha this season?. I think 40-45 with 15-20 goals would be great this year, and I think he's capable of it from the glimpses I've seen this pre-season. He seems less hesitant and more confident with the puck and his abilities.

Curious to see what other posters think on here.

I’d sign on for that. But I have my doubts that he is going to score 20 goals. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It also kind of depends on who he plays with. With players that can compliment his style of play I can definitely see it happening. With MoJo and Palms would be great imo. He has the tools, he just has to get his confidence up and use his shot. Some decent PP time would also be real nice. 

Edited by Devs3cups

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

It also kind of depends on who he plays with. With players that can compliment his style of play I can definitely see it happening. With MoJo and Palms would be great imo. He has the tools, he just has to get his confidence up and use his shot. Some decent PP time would also be real nice. 

Yes that would help for sure. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Slow down bucky it’s a preseason game.

i know but it shows he can still dangle and snipe. Not as if he'll lose that next week.

Someone posted a video of him doing something similar in the KHL. But then "it's in the KHL, subpar league"... then he does it pre-season "well it's pre-season"... my guess if he does it in the regular season then... i dunno... it will be against a sh!tty D or sh!tty team... 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, he hasn’t even scored double digit goals yet. 20 seems like high expectations. 

I’m guessing a more productive year for him would be something like 10-15 goals and 30-40 points. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, he hasn’t even scored double digit goals yet. 20 seems like high expectations. 

I’m guessing a more productive year for him would be something like 10-15 goals and 30-40 points. 

he scored 19 goals last year and missed 6 games... so it's really not a reach to think he could score 20

46 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i know but it shows he can still dangle and snipe. Not as if he'll lose that next week.

Someone posted a video of him doing something similar in the KHL. But then "it's in the KHL, subpar league"... then he does it pre-season "well it's pre-season"... my guess if he does it in the regular season then... i dunno... it will be against a sh!tty D or sh!tty team... 

Dangle and snipe is not a very unique pair of traits in the NHL.

Ok so if that’s what you think then don’t proclaim such wonder and amazement at him If it is done against a sh!tty team then.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Dangle and snipe is not a very unique pair of traits in the NHL.

Ok so if that’s what you think then don’t proclaim such wonder and amazement at him If it is done against a sh!tty team then.

Scoring that exact goal against anyone is a really sweet goal no matter what. I was only guessing what haters would try to say. 

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Scoring that exact goal against anyone is a really sweet goal no matter what. I was only guessing what haters would try to say. 

But if someone doesn’t agree that it was a meaningful sweet goal does that make them one of these haters you spend time thinking about?

• Like 1

Just now, devlman said:

But if someone doesn’t agree that it was a meaningful sweet goal does that make them one of these haters you spend time thinking about?

Well it's not that black and white so maybe they are maybe they aren't. Not something you can judge based on one comment lol

I mean it's pretty easy to see when someone simply won't give credit when it's due to someone they don't like and will twist everything in a way to take away potential credits. And would actually give credits to someone they liked who would have done the exact same thing.

We've all seen it, we're all biased to some extent and unless someone is willing to take a step back and assess his own bias well it's going to be a double standard galore out there lol