2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

39 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to the action lately, but wasn't everyone basically saying he has had a good training camp/pre-season so far?  I don't get it...

He's going to be 26 in November.  Probably more of a good AHLer than a real NHLer.  Not uncommon for guys like him to have impressive moments in preseason, then not do much with the big club in the regular season (assuming he even gets that chance this year). 

Admittedly I haven't watched every second of the preseason games, but I have watched at least a little of each. I am cautiously optimistic, but I still see an issue with each of the major components of this team as it's currently constructed (F, D, G). Obviously if Cory comes back and is productive, that takes care of the goaltending, but I really believe that this team is one impact F, and at least another solid D before they can make the playoffs again. Too many teams in the Metro have improved, even slightly, and the Devils needed a great last 15 games or so last season to squeak in. I was hoping to see a standout performance in camp, but I'm not sure it's there this year beyond Smith who should probably not burn a year of his ELC at 18. 

I'm also typing this out so I can gladly eat some crow later; we shall see. LGD.

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

Admittedly I haven't watched every second of the preseason games, but I have watched at least a little of each. I am cautiously optimistic, but I still see an issue with each of the major components of this team as it's currently constructed (F, D, G). Obviously if Cory comes back and is productive, that takes care of the goaltending, but I really believe that this team is one impact F, and at least another solid D before they can make the playoffs again. Too many teams in the Metro have improved, even slightly, and the Devils needed a great last 15 games or so last season to squeak in. I was hoping to see a standout performance in camp, but I'm not sure it's there this year beyond Smith who should probably not burn a year of his ELC at 18. 

I'm also typing this out so I can gladly eat some crow later; we shall see. LGD.

I get where you're coming from as far as the reasoning about being an impact player or 2 away. It would have been nice if Shero could have pulled something off over the summer.  The preseason really means next to nothing though. The team still hasn't even iced all the starters at the same time yet. I wouldn't be basing anything on what has happened so far in the preseason.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I get where you're coming from as far as the reasoning about being an impact player or 2 away. It would have been nice if Shero could have pulled something off over the summer.  The preseason really means next to nothing though. The team still hasn't even iced all the starters at the same time yet. I wouldn't be basing anything on what has happened so far in the preseason.  

is this true though? Since we've beaten the Sens 8-0 or wtv in preseason.... they never fully recovered and they've been freefalling since. We. Did. This. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Good stuff! Hynes might be my favorite coach we’ve had since Pat Burns. 

He seems great. One things I adore about him is that he gives a fair amount of chances to the young kids while holding them accountable when it's called for, unlike other coaches we've had who just seemed to cut them down whenever they made a mistake...

Edited by Devs3cups

9 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

More roster action... down to 29: 

@NJDevils  New Jersey has assigned forwards Joey Anderson, Michael McLeod and Marian Studenic to @BingDevils. In addition, the club has placed forward Nick Lappin on waivers.

Not shocking moves. Who is left from the “maybe they’ll make it” list?

21 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I guess JQ, Seney, Rooney, Stafford & Yakovlev, Gryba, Ty Smith...  Blackwood is still on the team but he's insurance for the long road trip, I assume. 

If I had to pick one, based on the pre-season, JQ would be the one. 

If I HAD to pick.