2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Eh I'm inclined to agree with others that he's got some time left to develop and a year in the AHL might do him well.

That said, it would be nice to see.. well.. something (anything) from him in these preseason games.  I saw some really, really sloppy/poor decision making in that Rags game from him and pretty much nothing else.  Would've liked to see a flash of something, for sure.

Agreed. Even though they weren't ready at ages 18, 19, I saw flashes and mature decision-making from kids like Zacha, Larsson, now Smith, etc., in their first two camps, signs that "there is something there", even if it was obvious they needed development. Not just speed or size, but more the things like decision-making, poise, passing, play away from the puck, or even the broader influence they had on their linemates. I get that he's fast, but beyond that, I don't see any of that from McLeod, no flashes that there's something to mold there.

Like everyone's said, he's only 20, and I so hope I'm totally wrong on this.

3 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Me to. I would rather have kept McLeod or Studenic over Rooney. The guy will probably stay with the team now and have a Gibbons type breakout season! And that'll explain why I'm sat behind a keyboard and not the coach's desk.

I think he's staying up at the moment for the same reason as Gibbons last year, just lower line insurance. Especially with the European trip. They probably prefer McLeod and Studenic getting bigger minutes in the AHL for now

DSP being scratched through the preseason, presumably for conditioning issues... last paragraph is interesting - seems like he shows up every year out of shape? 

Smith-Pelly’s contract was bought out by the New Jersey Devils after the 2016-17 season, and then Washington signed him to a one-year, two-way contract. “I don’t think that the consistency has been there with him, and the conditioning level or the work ethic have been a little inconsistent,” General Manager Brian MacLellan said going into training camp a year ago. Smith-Pelly disagreed with that assessment at the time, and he said a knee injury had nagged him all of that last season with the Devils.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/25/devante-smith-pellys-absence-preseason-games-is-conditioning-related/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.134156f58ab5

15 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

🤔

There are a few teams left that have not revealed their 3rd jerseys yet.  I was thinking Islanders going with fishsticks, but a few weeks ago it was leaked that it was largely an Adidas copy of their 2014 SS jersey.  However it could be a mis-direction.

Other guesses are Kings going with either Chevy or Burger King or Penguins going with Robo-Penguin.  Could also be Tampa bringing back their inaugural jerseys with that funky laser-like font for the nameplate.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I liked the Islanders black jersey with the letters.

I’m just the opposite, I hated both black Islanders jerseys. One was a trash basketball concept, the other was inspired by the black uniforms of a basketball team they share their trash building with.

EDIT: I really hate the NBA, can ya tell?

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 4