2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He looked pretty good considering the adjustment he has had to make to NA, and Severson/Mueller haven't had amazing camps. This is a little surprising to me.

I’d roll with him over Gryba for sure. But I’m guessing Yakovlev may get called back up after Smith’s 9 games. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d roll with him over Gryba for sure. But I’m guessing Yakovlev may get called back up after Smith’s 9 games. 

I'll take him over Gryba and Lovejoy, but you might have a point. Also worth pointing out that I'd consider last season a bounce-back year for Lovejoy. Hopefully Greene can have the same type of season this year and Lovejoy can keep it rolling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

Really dont get what Kevin Rooney does for anyone

Me to. I would rather have kept McLeod or Studenic over Rooney. The guy will probably stay with the team now and have a Gibbons type breakout season! And that'll explain why I'm sat behind a keyboard and not the coach's desk.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Eh I'm inclined to agree with others that he's got some time left to develop and a year in the AHL might do him well.

That said, it would be nice to see.. well.. something (anything) from him in these preseason games.  I saw some really, really sloppy/poor decision making in that Rags game from him and pretty much nothing else.  Would've liked to see a flash of something, for sure.

Agreed. Even though they weren't ready at ages 18, 19, I saw flashes and mature decision-making from kids like Zacha, Larsson, now Smith, etc., in their first two camps, signs that "there is something there", even if it was obvious they needed development. Not just speed or size, but more the things like decision-making, poise, passing, play away from the puck, or even the broader influence they had on their linemates. I get that he's fast, but beyond that, I don't see any of that from McLeod, no flashes that there's something to mold there.

Like everyone's said, he's only 20, and I so hope I'm totally wrong on this.

3 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Me to. I would rather have kept McLeod or Studenic over Rooney. The guy will probably stay with the team now and have a Gibbons type breakout season! And that'll explain why I'm sat behind a keyboard and not the coach's desk.

I think he's staying up at the moment for the same reason as Gibbons last year, just lower line insurance. Especially with the European trip. They probably prefer McLeod and Studenic getting bigger minutes in the AHL for now

DSP being scratched through the preseason, presumably for conditioning issues... last paragraph is interesting - seems like he shows up every year out of shape? 

Smith-Pelly’s contract was bought out by the New Jersey Devils after the 2016-17 season, and then Washington signed him to a one-year, two-way contract. “I don’t think that the consistency has been there with him, and the conditioning level or the work ethic have been a little inconsistent,” General Manager Brian MacLellan said going into training camp a year ago. Smith-Pelly disagreed with that assessment at the time, and he said a knee injury had nagged him all of that last season with the Devils.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/09/25/devante-smith-pellys-absence-preseason-games-is-conditioning-related/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.134156f58ab5