2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

Originally it was just Buffalo, B's and  us, Pens were recently brought in.  The NHL  (rookie) tournament in Traverse City has been ongoing, but shut out other teams because it was "full".  Ray  (w/Buffalo) & Boston created our own lil tournament.  I suspect others not included want to be become involved. I think flyers do something with panthers. I'll suspect  more teams might try to  get involved (with our tournament) as an annual event. 

23 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Went to the showcase last year in Buffalo, unfortunately the game I made it to we got pummeled by Pittsburgh and Nico wasn't playing, Speers had a great snipe in that game though. It's just a nice appetizer to tide over till training camp and preseason, looking forward to see some Devils uniforms back on the ice.

Also an aside, since Nico wasn't playing that day I was able to grab a picture with him after the game. You could tell at that time he was still pretty shy of the lime light but he's just such a good, humble kid. So happy he's a Devil.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

So wait...you DONT have dreadlocks???

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well. This is revolting. 

This is his third camp...he's played for the Blue Jackets and Stars in other camps.  Poor guy is just trying to catch on anywhere.  Guess it's mildly ironic that only Anthony was an NHL draft pick, given the bloodlines...and that was clearly as a symbolic gesture more than anything else...of course, not like having a dad who's awesome at something ensures the same out of his kid(s).  Would've been cool if Anthony or Jeremy had made it, even as a fringer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is his third camp...he's played for the Blue Jackets and Stars in other camps.  Poor guy is just trying to catch on anywhere.  Guess it's mildly ironic that only Anthony was an NHL draft pick, given the bloodlines...and that was clearly as a symbolic gesture more than anything else...of course, not like having a dad who's awesome at something ensures the same out of his kid(s).  Would've been cool if Anthony or Jeremy had made it, even as a fringer.

Frankly I think if it wasn't for his last name he wouldn't get invited to any camp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Genetics are weird. Marty has three boys, and not one of them are making the NHL, or really even coming close. Then on the other hand, you have Keith Tkachuck, who has a couple of sons and both are top 10 picks. 🤔

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly I think if it wasn't for his last name he wouldn't get invited to any camp.

Looked like he was pretty good in the OHL (and did get a ton of playing time for a couple of years there...in his rookie year, Ken Appleby was the #1 in Oshawa), but yeah, I'm sure his last name has helped his cause a LOT.  

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Genetics are weird. Marty has three boys, and not one of them are making the NHL, or really even coming close. Then on the other hand, you have Keith Tkachuck, who has a couple of sons and both are top 10 picks. 🤔

Mickey Mantle said one of his greatest regrets was naming his son Mickey.  Said it led to him having a ton of unfair expectations heaped upon him, and that was made even worse by the fact that he had barely a fraction of his father's baseball ability, if that much.  Joe DiMaggio Jr apparently had a very difficult life for similar reasons.  Being Anthony or Jeremy must be difficult at times, especially since they even play the same position as their All-Time Great dad did.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, the difference in hockey ability (and whatever genetics we ultimately discover govern it) between the worst player in the ECHL and Connor McDavid is much much smaller than the difference between the ECHL guy and the average joe who plays in a beer league.  So the fact that Marty's sons have all been able to play at a relatively high level of hockey is pretty significant.

Also, I bet you Tkachuk's mom was probably a pretty good athlete herself.  Their kids are nothing compared to the three Hughes brothers.  It's not surprising at all that the father played NCAA hockey and their mother was a multi-sport All American Athlete.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Looked like he was pretty good in the OHL (and did get a ton of playing time for a couple of years there...in his rookie year, Ken Appleby was the #1 in Oshawa), but yeah, I'm sure his last name has helped his cause a LOT.  

Mickey Mantle said one of his greatest regrets was naming his son Mickey.  Said it led to him having a ton of unfair expectations heaped upon him, and that was made even worse by the fact that he had barely a fraction of his father's baseball ability, if that much.  Joe DiMaggio Jr apparently had a very difficult life for similar reasons.  Being Anthony or Jeremy must be difficult at times, especially since they even play the same position as their All-Time Great dad did.    

Speaking of that fun topic; best father-son duo in sports all time and in NHL all time?

I don't know much about the other sports but for NHL I would assume it would have to be Bobby and Brett Hull followed by Gordie and Mark Howe (I know about Marty but he was nowhere near as good as either of those two).

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, the difference in hockey ability (and whatever genetics we ultimately discover govern it) between the worst player in the ECHL and Connor McDavid is much much smaller than the difference between the ECHL guy and the average joe who plays in a beer league.  So the fact that Marty's sons have all been able to play at a relatively high level of hockey is pretty significant.

Also, I bet you Tkachuk's mom was probably a pretty good athlete herself.  Their kids are nothing compared to the three Hughes brothers.  It's not surprising at all that the father played NCAA hockey and their mother was a multi-sport All American Athlete.

I don't disagree with the bolded at all (to even get an NHL to sniff you is something)...I was more thinking how cruel people can be.  Billy Ripken said that fans used to razz him all of the time, that he would never be as good as his brother Cal...one day he finally unloaded on a fan and said "No fvcking sh!t!  He's probably going to the Hall of Fame some day!  I'm just trying to be the best that I can be!" 

Hopefully it hasn't happened to either Anthony or Jeremy much, but there's probably douches who've made similar cracks about them and Marty.  But like you said, they've gotten farther than many others. 

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Speaking of that fun topic; best father-son duo in sports all time and in NHL all time?

I don't know much about the other sports but for NHL I would assume it would have to be Bobby and Brett Hull followed by Gordie and Mark Howe (I know about Marty but he was nowhere near as good as either of those two).

Randy and Miles Wood, heh heh.

There was an article written years ago in SI, about baseball generational talent within families.  The Boones (three generations) and Bells were in there.  The Griffeys (Ken Sr and Jr) have to be among the best ever I would think (though largely because of Jr of course). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

And then some farmer in Thunder Bay had 3 sons who made the NHL and the other one came pretty close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

And then some farmer in Thunder Bay had 3 sons who made the NHL and the other one came pretty close.

Right? Like, how the fvck does that happen? The Staal boys’ parents never played any pro sports, but they get THREE NHL’ers out of that gene pool?! Or McDavid’s or Crosby’s parents- neither set of parents played pro hockey (that I know of, anyway), and they produce those two?! It all seems so random lol. 

54 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Right? Like, how the fvck does that happen? The Staal boys’ parents never played any pro sports, but they get THREE NHL’ers out of that gene pool?! Or McDavid’s or Crosby’s parents- neither set of parents played pro hockey (that I know of, anyway), and they produce those two?! It all seems so random lol. 

Well Schmid Skywalker was simply a slave and she gave birth to the chosen one... life's crazy man. it's crazy.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Schmid Skywalker was simply a slave and she gave birth to the chosen one... life's crazy man. it's crazy.

She is really Rey who joins forces with Kylo in episode IX, gets pregnant by him, gets sucked into a black hole at the end of IX which time travels her back to the past and crash lands on Tattooine and gives birth to Anakin.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Dammit, I was going to make a midichlorian comment!

And it's Shmi.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

She is really Rey who joins forces with Kylo in episode IX, gets pregnant by him, gets sucked into a black hole at the end of IX which time travels her back to the past and crash lands on Tattooine and gives birth to Anakin.

Watto won't have any of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Even if they didn’t play hockey, I’m sure at least one of their parents were great athletes.  Taylor Hall’s father I believe played in the CFL.

• Like 1